Thread: HF voice forecasts

Default HF voice forecasts

Since I don't have a computer on board, I'm going to be listening for voice weather forecasts on the SSB. I found the following broadcast schedule on line:

Pt. Reyes(NMC)
    HF Voice Broadcast Schedule
    4426, 8764, 13089 kHz (USB) 0430Z 1030Z
    8764, 13089, 17314 kHz (USB) 1630Z 2230Z

But yesterday I tuned in 8764.0 USB at 1530 PDT (= 2230Z, correct?) and didn't hear a peep. Last year on the LongPac I carried a little C. Crane shortwave receiver and also never heard anything on those frequencies.

Any ideas what I can do to pick up voice broadcasts?

Max

Pacific Seafarers Net may be helpful.

14.300Mhz @ 0300hrs (warm up) - 0325hrs zulu - roll-call.

That is 8 pm local time.

I was testing a portable receiver a month ago and from my house was able to receive the Pt. Reyes and Honolulu voice WX forecasts. This was using the whip antenna too. Your schedule and frequencies look OK.

The trick may be to find a place without a lot of interference, and to find the best frequency and time. If you can't hear anything, try again later. Sometimes it's just not going to work. Evenings are *usually* better for long distance work. The Pacific Seafarer's Net is a good suggestion, but you *should* be able to pick up the Pt Reyes and/or Honolulu broadcasts.

Fortunately, there shouldn't be much local interference on the ocean. Make sure your own electronics aren't making a lot of noise -- try turning stuff off and see if that helps.

I understand that you are using your SSB now, but are you sure that the C-Crane shortwave receiver had SSB capability? Many of these radios don't.

Max,

8 megs from NMC (Pt. Reyes) skips right over SF Bay...you gotta use 4 megs until well offshore. Also, you are likely in a marina with a lot of interference.

I just tuned in 4426 here in Santa Cruz at 0430 UTC. NMC weather was loud and clear.

Would suggest taking a small tape recorder to copy NMC wx report for playback.

Haven't tried it recently, and can only assume it is still broadcasting, but when I sailed to Hawaii and back the first time - in my previous boat - the only wx info I had access to was on WWV (the time-tic station) I believe it was at 5 minutes before the hour, or thereabouts. 5, 10, & 15 thousand mghz, if memory serves me correctly

Admittedly it paints a pretty big picture with a rather large brush, but it does give the position and pressure of the high along with location/track of any tropical storms in the neighbourhood. With a good barometer, and a bit of luck, you can stay well away from the center of the high, as long as it doesn't move about too quickly or radically

I only had a small transistor shortwave radio, and had good reception along entire route from Vancouver to Hilo and return.

Jim/Haulback

Thanks all for the suggs. Sounds like something will work out once I'm out there.
    Max