Thread: communications

Default communications

Hello RC,

As a possible TP 2012 sailor, could you explain the communications method. Seems there are three alt comm vessels. We only read about a couple competitors , what is going on with for example Gary on Pakele, or Sam on Southernaire and others. I only see their position reports no comments or trip log from them. Are the reports only taken from individuals who have a website or blog? Any verbal communications is not reported? I know Gary has SSB on board for example. Thanks for any comments concerning this. Pete

Hi Pete -

I'm not directly part of the Race Committee, and am aware of how the TransPac communications mechanism operates. The 2010 Communications Plan is provided on the SSS TransPac site:

http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpa...TPCommPlan.pdf

In the 2010 race competitors have two ways to provide a position report to the communications boat: 1, send an email to RC which will in turn forward the report to the communications boat; 2, speak directly with the communications boat via SSB radio.

RC does not have an SSB radio, and relies on email reports received from the Communications boat or directly from the competitors (in fact, competitors are sending info ashore to friends/family, who them forward the data along to RC).

As regards logs - they are not required, are not part of the race, and are a lot of fun to read. If a competitor wishes to send ashore logs, the log is sent/forwarded to RC from the boat, and RC posts them to the web page.

As far as I am aware, no logs have been received from Pakele and Southernaire so far this race.

Does this help?

- rob/beetle

Yes, this does answer my question thanks. And, it is fun reading about their adventure. Pete

Yeah, I would've liked to send reports to post on the website, but only had SSB voice capability.

If I were to do it again, I would probably shell out another boat buck for a satphone or modem to send emails ashore.

Adrian
    Idefix