Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIS during the TP. Experiences?

Default AIS during the TP. Experiences?

Did anyone have any good or bad or neutral experiences with their AIS systems during the Transpac? Did it add more safety than other measures?

It is required by the rules unless you have a real radar. I was personally far less than impressed. I used it during my sea-trials and qualifier, and some of the delivery home, but I don't even think I used it during my Transpac at all. There are so many vessels out there that don't even transmit that it's not even funny. It gives you a false sense of security. It seemed like when I did use it in a place with lots of traffic, (like SF Bay, or just offshore near the shipping lanes), it picked up a majority of freight ships, but nowhere near all of them. This is strictly my opinion.

But it is less of a pain in the ass than installing an actual radar, which requires it own mast off the stern, a backstay mount, or actually mounting it on the mast. So, having said that, AIS is probably the lesser of two evils. I will get one in 2012, but only because it's required.

This is solely my own personal opinion.

Sorry for the negativity in my tone.

On a related subject, does anyone know who's doing race committee in 2012 and if there is any way we could persuade them to drop the AIS/ Radar requirement?

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post
    On a related subject, does anyone know who's doing race committee in 2012 and if there is any way we could persuade them to drop the AIS/ Radar requirement?
    I do not know if the 2012 RC has been put together at this point.

One question RC is likely to ask regarding AIS and/or radar is how many likely competitors already have one on board? If most everybody does then it's not an onerous requirement, if nobody does then it's a potential point of discussion.

From my experience using both, AIS works well offshore and alerts you to shipping traffic beyond the range of the radar, including localized stuff the radar does not see due to squalls (I keep the radar tuned to see squall rain, even though the tuning can mask a target beyond the rain). The radar works well for picking up things that aren't running AIS - other small boats and warships, for example. I really like running both, the AIS continuously and the radar on a 5 minute guard zone mode - the radar wakes up every 5 minutes, scans for a minute, and if nothing is found it goes back to sleep.

The significant difference between the two (other than AIS being passive and radar being active), is that AIS tells you the target's range, speed, bearing, and the software I have calculate CPA, so I can determine quickly if I'll be passing close by. I do not have a MARPA feature for the radar so all I see on the radar display is a spot and I have to work out visually if we're going to be close. As a result I keep the radar range set to between 6 and 8 miles such that when a target appears I can go topside and visually see which direction the target is headed and then work out if there's going to be a close crossing.

- rob/beetle

As I stated in Bob's "what worked, what didn't" thread, I was happy with the AIS. I never sighted a ship that my receiver didn't pick up first.

In the LongPac the year before, I did see a ship that apparently wasn't transmitting. Based on that and Ronnie's experience, maybe I shouldn't have been so sanguine. But I still think it's well worth the minor expense.

Max

I loved my AIS! In fact, it worked too well. I used a splitter which shared the whip on the masthead with the VHF. This configuration gave me targets 80 miles out! I would spot them, want to talk, but our CPA was three hours. On the ocean, don't expect to make a visual contact until about 8 miles, VHF works about 30-40 miles. The best part about AIS is what Rob said, the name, track, SOG, and CPA of the vessel. The only part I would change would to not use my laptop to run the AIS through nobletec. The computer took too much energy, I would rather have a separate AIS unit that can run all the time with low power draw.

For about $400 (or cheaper), I can't see why the RC would not require this important safety tool on the ocean.

PS: I left the gate worried about ships, about half way there I couldn't wait to see a ship. Don't be afraid of ships, it's a big ocean...really, really big.

Default Ais=good

I loved my AIS! And it seemed that my little 25 foot Folkboat was a freighter magnet during the SHTP...compared with others in the fleet...we saw a ton of shipping and my little standalone Nasa Marine AIS unit was spot on. I bought mine from a UK outfit and the system worked great...drew very little BTU's (I would typically have my AIS on standby all night long)...a false sense of security or not--it helped me sleep better at night Should AIS still be a requirement for the SHTP 2012? Absolutely!

Adam
    s/v Blue Moon
    www.oceanslogic.com
    Last edited by Oceanslogic; 09-23-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Forgot something

As Rob M suggested, we took a poll before adding the rule:

http://www.sfbaysss.net/showthread.php?t=304

NASA's stand-alone unit is still about $280 from the U.K.:

NASA AIS "Radar"

I recently installed the splitter I bought from Jak. Next weekend Ragtime! returns from the backwaters of Benicia so we'll see what pops up on the AIS.

Default Is anyone using the new Standard Horizon GX 2100 VHF/AIS?

I'm looking at AIS units and was planning on the NASA AIS until I found the Standard Horizon GX 2100 VHF/AIS radio. Uses the same antenna, automatic DSC calling to AIS targets, remote mic with AIS screen, I would guess lower power consumption if you leave your VHF on 24/7... Seems like a pretty good idea.

Does anyone have thoughts one way or the other on this instead of the NASA AIS?

also, like the NASA, you need to hook up a GPS to it. Are most folks using fixed or portable GPS connections for their AIS GPS positioning?

Thanks,

jake

Default Standard GX2100 - looks good

Quote Originally Posted by JakeinDenver View Post
    I'm looking at AIS units and was planning on the NASA AIS until I found the Standard Horizon GX 2100 VHF/AIS radio.

Does anyone have thoughts one way or the other on this instead of the NASA AIS?

Are most folks using fixed or portable GPS connections for their AIS GPS positioning?
    The GX2100 looks like a nice bit of kit - I had a Standard VHF radio on my prior boat and it worked well. The price is definitely right (<$350) and it's most likely a good radio.

Currently I'm using a fixed Furuno GP-31 to supply GPS data via NMEA to the SR-162 AIS receiver and the laptop running Coastal Explorer. One thing that may be missing from the GX2100 display is the CPA; the brochure mentions a CPA Alarm, which is not quite the same as showing you the CPA distance & time.

But for the power consumption and price, the GX2100 looks like a very good value.

- rob/beetle

I like the perspective provided by the larger screen on the NASA stand-alone unit. It doesn't give you CPA either so seeing the trailing lines (both length=speed and relative bearing) helps to plan your crossing. I've not used the GX2100 but its AIS screen is tiny.

Also, I suppose it could be like the old "integrated" stereos (I've used this analogy before) - if something goes wrong with one part of the radio I wouldn't want to lose my AIS, and vice-versa.