Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shtp 2012

Default Shtp 2012

I would love to do the shtp in 2012 and would like to start getting some budget numbers, where to get the qualifiers race schedule, and answers to the regular questions a first SHTP has. I am in Seattle and although I would love to sail it to SF and back from HI I can’t afford the time away from my job so I would have to get the boat shipped to SF and from HI back to Seattle.
    Thanks
    Astolfo

Astolfo,

I'm in Seattle too and just did the race. Maybe we can get together sometime and I can answer your questions. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

Adrian

Good luck in putting together a campaign for 2012. As you probably know, Adrian won the race this year, so if he's offering you advice.... take it. He had a really successful qualifier, race and delivery home, and he did it on a serious budget.

See you in 2012.

And Adrian, it will most definitely be on in 2012...

this is AWESOME!. thanks Adrian, lets talk. looking forward to learn from you.
    Astolfo

Al Hughes (Dogbark) is also in Seattle and a transpac vet with lots of trophies.

Default Sponsorship... how'd you do it?

In the recent Lat 38 article Adrian mentioned he wishes he'd gone after sponsorships like Adam and Ronnie.

I'm wondering if you guys or any other who gained support, wouldn't mind discussing how you approached your sponsors and how much of your budget/equipment you were able to obtain?

As I start looking at my shopping list, it's pretty overwhelming.

Thanks,

Jake

Any of this year's racers want to share actual numbers for expenses?

I suspect I did it cheaper than most. I've been adding up figures and I'm at about $8k. It might get closer to 9 if I could find a missing credit card statement.

That total doesn't include several weeks of lost income, since I had nowhere near enough vacation time saved up to cover the 7 or 8 weeks that I was off work.

Max

My situation, as well as Adam and AJ's, was a bit unique.

I was approached by a very generous individual who works with a wounded veteran non-profit on a volunteer basis. This individual agreed to loan me his boat for the race, with basically no strings attached. The non-profit had a program that grants a "Warrior's Wish" to wounded veterans. I qualified for the Wish, so I said my wish was to race the SHTP, and as such, I asked for them to pay my entry fee and buy a SSB, auto tuner and radio modem. This came to 5 grand in total. So truth be told, I wasn't really "sponsored" by the non-profit. I was granted some funding which was actually available to any wounded veteran who qualified.

On top of that, I had a boat yard pull the boat off the trailer, give us a few days of yard time, and then splash us for free. The marina gave me a free slip, I got 1 gallon of free bottom paint, free foul weather gear and PFD, and some free halyards. I got some free video cameras, discounts on batteries, discounts on this, discounts on that. Pretty much everyone that sponsored me was either just super nice and wanted to support me (a wounded veteran) and what I was doing (raising money and awareness for a wounded veteran non-profit). I approached every sponsor individually, generally with a packet containing pictures and information about what I was doing. Some people never replied, while some said "sure, what do you want?" and some said "we'll sell to you at cost.". Getting stuff at cost can be a good deal, often times 75% off of retail. If this can cover the additional $900 or so in entry fee (for being sponsored) then it's a good deal. It costs a sponsor nothing to sell to you at cost. Free exposure for them, so it' s a win-win.

I am working on some big time sponsorship for 2012, but it will be completely different and will again be a situation that is rather unique.

Having said all of this, I would not advise you to rely heavily on sponsorship. The race does not have much of a media presence, and a sell for big sponsorship will be difficult.

All in all, I would say Warrior's Wish spent 10-15k on the race, and that doesn't include any new sails. The boat was already more or less entirely equipped, just requiring some parts being replaced, boat repairs, maintenance, etc. It's definitely not a cheap endeavour and I will bet that most competitors went over their budget for what they originally thought it would cost. I know I did. It wiped me out this year and i'm still getting back on my feet financially.

But it was most definitely worth it.

Good luck on your campaign in 2012.
    Last edited by ronnie simpson; 09-16-2010 at 09:59 AM.

I'm a CPA in my other life, dealing mostly with businesses (vs. individuals).

Clients are looking for a measurable return on their advertising dollars, including sponsorships. As Ronnie said, his situation was the exception. AJ's was also unusual, being based more on personal relationships. Each of the three guys (Adam, AJ and Ronnie) is a "Mr. Personality" and could sell ice to eskimos.

You'll need to work hard to promote your sponsor's business and given the SHTP's limited exposure (for that matter, sailing's limited exposure), it's a hard sell showing how you will do that.

Local marine businesses who already benefit from our boat prep dollars are the most likely candidates. We had several who sponsored the race this time and last. Even getting that sponsorship (for the organization vs. an individual racer) wasn't easy. (Thanks Rob, Ruben and Bill!)

I would plan on funding your own race and if you pick up some discounts along the way, that's great. If those discounts require advertising on your hull or sails, you will probably have to pay the higher entry fee as a sponsored entry.
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-16-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Default Sponsorships

Interesting question. As part of the club's and race's culture, commercial sponsorships haven't been aggressively sought and if the SHTP stays true to its past profile, sponsorship won't be a common feature of future races.

I've raised money for non-profit organizations for almost the past 40 years and helped raise sponsorship funding for a US-based Whitbread syndicate in the late 80's. I know a lot more about raising money than sailing (yes, Phil, Rob, Dan, Bob, Al, Greg, Adam, Mark, Ken, Steve, Jeanne, Jim, Synthia, etc. I know that isn't really saying much). The trade off for sponsorship money comes in the form of sponsor expectations/demands/control and this changes the event. It could change an amatur sailboat race into a marketing campaign in which money trumps skill. SSS will probably never go down that road but in this era of reality TV, it could be a temptation.

I hope the SHTP remains the "race for the rest of us" for a long time.

Regarding budget, my advice is to sit down and figure out the most it could possibly cost then double it. Then sit down and figure out how long it will take to get the work done then triple it and in the frenzy of rebuilding your percfectly good already boat leave a bit of time to learn how to use all the new gear before the race starts. Oddly enough this formula worked even the second time I did the race except for the learning part. I didn't get that right either time.

Best of luck.

Bill Merrick