Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shtp 2012

Default more on "sponsorship"

I totally agree with Bill's take on the cultural change should sponsorship grow. Furthermore, I really appreciate Ronnie's openess about his entry. "Carpe Diem" is definately an understatement in regards to Ronnie!

What I meant in regards to "sponsorship" was the ability to buy at cost or deep discount. I recognize the low profile of the SHTP would make it very difficult to garner an out and out commercial sponsorship. The ability to gain free product would be great but probably the exception to most competitors experience.

I've been looking for somekind of part-time work to get into an employee discount program but I'm finding Denver is pretty shallow in boating venues and none seem to be hiring. I think I might need to reapproach some of these guys with an invitation to help me by selling at cost and see what they say.... I guess they can only say no.

Thanks for this discussion and your feedback. I see many challenges in making a go at 2012 with outfitting a small 40yr old boat from scratch reasonably is my first big rock. Next on the docket is layout, prioritization, not to mention west coast blue water experience. 22 months already... feels like the race has already begun.

Off to a NEW (and only) dedicated sailing shop in Denver today... wish me luck.

jake
    Last edited by JakeinDenver; 09-17-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Default got mentor?

I figure while I'm at it, I'll just go ahead and ask...

I've connected with Jeff Lebesch but he's pretty tied up until November so I'm reaching out to find any other SHTP vets willing to connect offline to learn more about me and my 26' floating brick , to offer some experienced advice on making the most of my time and resources.

Hopefully this kind of request isn't taboo.

Thanks!

jake
    jakesuesam at yahoo dot com

This is the best place Jake and it's definitely not "taboo." Others probably have the same questions you do.

I've been getting some inquiries about SHTP 2012 on the SHTP e-mail but since my tour of duty is over, I'm suggesting they post here.

@AJ and Paul: To quote a famous Canadian singlehander/circumnavigator whose boat name is Haulass (or similar):

"You guys are choking me up, eh."
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-18-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Forgot the "eh."

In 1996 when I tagged along but didn't do the race, the SSB wasn't a requirement. You could have either an SSB OR a 406 epirb. That year, I bought no new sails, went with an engine I couldn't run for more than fifteen minutes without overheating, and had new standing rigging put on my Ranger 29. I didn't have an autopilot, but I had a Navik windvane. I maxxed out a credit card at $10K.

With Ankle Biter in 2008 I went *extremely* cheap and spent about $8K but I had a lot of gear left over from my Santana 3030, including one autotiller and the SSB and the EPIRB and another Navik. I didn't really much use the nifty new spinnaker I bought from Synthia and in retrospect I wish I'd gotten two 110% headsails stitched together instead. Not that Synthias chute wasn't nice, I just didn't happen to use it that much. That would have brought it down to $6500.

If you add in the flights, the house that Joan and I stayed in, the meals over there, etc. etc it would be at least another $2500 more.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

How much have I spent over 3 races?? I'd really prefer not to think about it.....and I was sponsored for the first one in '02 to the tune of $30K....

The one thing I can tell you, is that by the time you are counting fly specks on the ceiling for the last 5 minutes before you die.....the money you spend sailing to Hawaii in the SHTP one summer will be of little consequence.

Jim/Haulback

After reading Alan's post, I thought I'd fill in some of the background for my low expenses.

- No new sails. I bought three used sails (2 spinnakers and a staysail), and Rui at Rooster Sails rehabbed my main and #3. Actually the only time I used the #3 was between the start and Pt. Bonita.

- I borrowed an SSB (thanks Scott!) and Monitor vane (thanks Phil!). For the SSB I worked up a rope-covered antenna at negligible expense.

- Nobody flew out to Hawaii to meet me, and I stayed on the boat in Hanalei.

- I took shameless advantage of Jim Kellam's offer to provide taxi service, including a trip to the ER in Kapa'a when my gashed foot wasn't healing satisfactorily. Thanks Jim, I owe you.

Max

Default C.A.R.D. is AWOL?

Anyone know how to get in touch with the makers of the C.A.R.D.? I found their number in Virginia but no answer and their website are static pages that describe the product but no links to buy it. Who sells these things?

Thanks,

jake

If you really want a C.A.R.D. you can buy mine - I took it off the boat about a year ago. It works but I found it to be pretty ineffective.

Default C.A.R.D. is AWOL?

Quote Originally Posted by JakeinDenver View Post
    Anyone know how to get in touch with the makers of the C.A.R.D.? I found their number in Virginia but no answer and their website are static pages that describe the product but no links to buy it. Who sells these things?
    Hopefully, nobody sell them any more. They were a good idea back in the day. With continuous transmitting low power broadband radar signals being put out by the more modern radars.... not likely to work....

Come to think of it do active responders like SeeMe work when your vessel is swept with broadband radar? http://www.sea-me.co.uk/about.html

AIS and a VHF radio ( those on the bridge are notorious for watching neither AIS or radar displays, but a call to their vessel gets their attention) might be a better way to go.

John
    Blueberry

I'm intending to use both a VHF/AIS as well as the CARD. Figure the more I can see what's lurking the better...

thanks,

jake