Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shtp 2012

Default Sea-me does not work with broadband radar

Quote Originally Posted by jfoster View Post
    Hopefully, nobody sell them any more. They were a good idea back in the day. With continuous transmitting low power broadband radar signals being put out by the more modern radars.... not likely to work....

Come to think of it do active responders like SeeMe work when your vessel is swept with broadband radar? http://www.sea-me.co.uk/about.html

AIS and a VHF radio ( those on the bridge are notorious for watching neither AIS or radar displays, but a call to their vessel gets their attention) might be a better way to go.

John
    Blueberry
    Dear Mr Foster.

Thank you for your email.

I am afraid the current versions of Sea-me do not work with the broadband radar.

Best regards

Will
    Munro Engineering Ltd

Default Broadband radar may be ideal for SHTP boats

The bottom line of the quote says it all. With the minimal power requirements and low price, what is not to like for the SHTP?

http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Produ...ar-Technology/

A TRULY DIFFERENT TECHNOLOGY
    Traditional "pulse" radars use high-powered magnetrons to generate microwave signals with very short pulses of applied voltage. The first solid-state X-band radar technology has been developed, which utilizes FMCW techniques.

Simrad Broadband Radar™ sends a continuous transmission wave with linear increasing frequency (hence the term Broadband). The wave retains its frequency as it travels out and reflects back from any objects. Meanwhile, the transmitter continues to output an increasing frequency. The difference between the currently transmitted and received frequencies, coupled with the known rate of frequency increase, is the basis for precisely calculating a "time of flight" and target distance. Since FMCW constantly builds up radar return energy (vs. a single pulse), this system provides target detection superior to pulse radars while transmitting at far lower energy levels.

- The exclusive technology and performance characteristics of Broadband Radar™ make it an ideal match for almost any vessel.
    - Unparalleled short-range resolution and discrimination; an ideal compliment to large radar systems on yachts.
    - User-friendly operation makes it an ideal primary radar for small to medium-sized vessels.
    - Small size, minimal power requirements, safer transmission energy levels; the advantages of sophisticated radar for all boats

Default MER-VEILLE as well as C.A.R.D will not detect CW radar

It looks like MER-VEILLE as well as C.A.R.D are unable to detect CW radar.

CW radar was in use on aircraft and in the military for years before it made its way into the marine market. Now that it has arrived, with a number of vendors now offering hat technology, the adoption may be quite swift.

It seems that having a CW radar on board may be a better solution than any of the radar detectors.

Things change. Try to cope. (grin)

John Foster
    Blueberry, Nonsuch 22, sail # 48

Good morning,
    The last upgrade of MER-VEILLE is only a best working of the acknoledge function.
    We can't (today) detect continuous transmission broadband radar. We think power emitted is too low to detect classic radar and CW radar with the same device. These radars are also used for short range, and we are not sure it's a good way of research about a specific detector. In an other way AIS will become the major system in anticolision.
    But your remarks are important for our thought.

Best regards
    J.J.VIGNERON

Jake,

I have a CARD system on Dream Chaser. In the 2008 Transpac I ran it a lot and it never once went off even when large ships that the AIS picked up were visible. In the 2010 Transpac I turned it on several times when I picked up traffic on the radar or the AIS and still nothing. I have picked up signals in the harbor with it but I don't think it's worth the power consumption (low as it is) while singlehanding.

I used the AIS Radar 24/7 in 2010. It even makes a nifty night light. It draws almost no power and was my primary collision avoidance method. I also have a new Furuno radar with watchman mode (works for a minute every 10 or 20 minutes) sounds an alarm if a target has entered the zone you set. I used this closer to shore, in bad weather and when I was South of 28 degrees to alert me to squalls. It worked great too.

If I had to go with only one collision avoidance/traffic alerting system it would definitely be the AIS Radar. Great little gadget. My other AIS receiver requires that my laptop is on to work and the laptop is a huge power hog.

My thoughts, worth what you paid for them.

John
    Dream Chaser
    Valiant 40

Default boat delivery - HI to Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by Astolfo View Post
    I would love to do the shtp in 2012 and would like to start getting some budget numbers, where to get the qualifiers race schedule, and answers to the regular questions a first SHTP has. I am in Seattle and although I would love to sail it to SF and back from HI I can’t afford the time away from my job so I would have to get the boat shipped to SF and from HI back to Seattle.
    Thanks
    Astolfo
    Astolfo / Adrian,

I'm planning for SHTP 2012 and also have time/work constraints - interested in Boat delivery options to Seattle - anything you've learned and can share would be appreciated.

Mark D.

Mark,

I didn't learn a whole lot. Shipping the boat back looked ridiculously expensive, and I don't have a trailer, so my options seemed limited to either selling it in HI, having someone sail it home for me, or sailing it home myself. Since the reason I got the boat was to sail it, I chose the latter.

Actually, I did learn two things. Firstly, the trip home was not nearly as unpleasant as I expected. In fact, it was a lot of fun, and a great sail. Secondly, there are a lot of kooks out there who would be happy to deliver a boat back to the mainland, with or without the owner. I'm sure this forum is infested with them. Whether you should trust them I will leave entirely up to you.

Adrian

I too am interested in participating in the 2012 Shtp. I followed the 2010 Shtp as it was taking place and seem to spend most of my free time researching all aspects of the Shtp. My problem is that I am located in Tucson, AZ, and sail out of San Diego (mostly weekends and all of my vacations). I don't have any open ocean experience besides Catalina Island, Channel Islands and motorsailing up to Morro Bay last summer.

Friends have suggested that I crew on an ocean racing sailboat before attempting the Shtp, but I feel that it would be extremely difficult to find a position while I am in Tucson.

The positive things are that (1) I have a 4 year old boat (Jeanneau 36i) which I learned to sail on. I need a few big ticket items... SSB, extra asymmetric spinnaker, feathering prop, epirb, life raft, emergency tiller, and storm sail. (2) the Mrs has accepted the idea.

I want to thank everyone who has posted his experiences on this forum or on blogs. And I would love to hear any advice from Shtp veterans.

Tushar Patel

Tushar,

You need to be sailing your boat as much as possible. Single or double handed would be the best.

You need to sail your qualifier. The official SSS qualifier, the Long Pac starts June 6th You should be prepping your boat as if you were entering that race and then sail you own qualifier or join in with the Guadalupe Island Race down there.
    I highly recommend one way or another you get very comfortable sailing your boat alone, single handed for a few days and nights. This will tell you if you like it or not. You should find this out sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Phil MacFarlane; 05-13-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Hi Tushar,

First correcting a typo - LongPac starts July 6th (a brief Phil-induced panic averted). You probably can't be ready for that so consider a late-season qualifier, known hereabouts as the "LatePac." I sailed mine in October (2005) and it was delightful. Otherwise yes, PSSA's Guadalupe Island Race is the ticket, although it could be a little late as a qualifier for the 2012 SHTP.

Your ocean time is about the same as mine was - but I had been sailing/racing inshore for many years. San Francisco Bay in the Summer is pretty good preparation for the rougher parts of a typical TransPac. If you aren't comfortable tucking in a reef solo with the boat crashing along on autopilot, and then going back to your tea and crumpets, you may not be ready yet.

But you're in the right place - welcome to the fold!

Default Transpac Qualifier

Since when do you have to go on one of those organized excursions, such as LongPac or Guadalupe Race?

Just sail out from your home area the required distance and come home! At least that's the way it was when I qualified in 1984...shades of George Orwell!!!