Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Solo Tahiti 2013?

I want to go from San Francisco to Tahiti. I am not interested in Hawaii to Tahiti.

SF to Tahiti or Marquesas would also be my preference.

But, of course first I'll have to race to Hawaii in 2012. Actually I hope to start making things happen racing PSSA's Bishop Rock next month...

Santi,
    Did you do your sail to Cabo?

No...

I had a business trip and spent thanksgiving week out of the country, so I couldn't deliver the boat to Cabo as planned. And I had to travel again during Christmas week so I didn't had time enough to sail south and back...

On the other hand I was in Barcelona (home) for the start of the BWR and that was fantastic. Those boats are sooooo cool!!

Things seem better now, though, so even I don't seem to be able to make any plan, I'll keep pushing. Bishop Rock with the mini in Feb, and ABYC's OCR in March and Pricesa Sofia (Spain) in April with the Finn are my next short term goals...

How're you doing with your mini??

It's still in Texas at you know who's I'm pretty upset about it. I'm going to go get it after the three bridge if the trailer is done or not. Four months for a trailer, give me a break.

Oh, I'm sorry... I really feel your pain...

Want to borrow mine? It's the one I brought 714 from Europe, a very good one with mechanical brakes... It has the keel height for a series boat, but it may still have room to bring the supports up. I've it here in SD (it has a CA trafic plate)... we'd need to change the light connector (still using an european one) but I've all the parts for that.

I somehow feel very bad that we all are probably buying trailers for our minis. Do you know how many times I've used mine since the boat got here last december? You guess... zero! And I'm paying about $100/month to store it because I've no place to put it... And the only time that I may use it is to bring her back from Hawaii or Tahiti... ridiculous!

Wondering if we should share trailers to save money... the worse case would be to ship it to Hawaii twice to bring 2 minis back... ;-)

Hey, thanks very much for that offer. I may take you up on it. We should exchange contact info. I'll pm you with mine.

WAFI will live on it's trailer when she gets one. I plan on keeping her in Alameda where lots of small boats are dry sailed.

After more time online and looking at charts, another good option would be Uturoa on Raiatea, which is the second largest population center in French Polynesia. It has more small boat facilities (the Moorings charter base is there for example), a boat yard and three small boat marinas. Raiatea is between Tahiti/Moorea and Bora Bora, and much closer to the main port of Papeete than the Marquesas, for those planning to ship boats home.

Take a stroll around the Moorings Tahiti pages:

http://www.moorings.com/vacation-opt...lynesia/tahiti

Warning - this will get you juiced about sailing down there and make you want to hang out in Tahiti for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Warning - this will get you juiced about sailing down there and make you want to hang out in Tahiti for awhile.
    I'm holding out for Norway. Or Ireland.

Default Green with envy

Any of you guys who are at all able to consider the Tahiti trip - Make it happen! I sailed the TPYC Tahiti race in 1974 (ouch, that's a long time ago!) and it was a great trip even in the smallest boat in the fleet, Witchcraft, the Bill Lee 35', the immediate predecessor to Chutzpah.

Papeete and Moorea were great places to to hang out back then, I suppose it's changed a bit since.

Don't know if I can offer much other than encouragement but I can tell you that was a lot (24 days) of great sailing. Wish I had the time to sail that much.

Tom
    Constellation