Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Solo Tahiti 2013?

Koh Samia is a proto in spirit but a 'series' (fiberglass) in construction...

My current plan (after the current repair process) is to sail down to Cabo around thanksgiving (solo and nonstop). That should count as qualifier for 2012 SHTP.

If everything goes well and I manage to get enough time off, I'm planning in sailing her back around Christmas.

After that I hope I can join PSSA races (Bishop rock is definitely in my todo list) and keep sailing/racing to be in shape for 2012 SHTP. I also plan to go back to my Finn starting next season...

So, I think Tahiti 2013 would be a perfect fit.

I took a close look at Tahiti/Moorea last night on Google Earth - it's pretty cool. I also discovered that a visit in late June, 2013 might tie in with the Pacific Puddle Jumpers and their activities, possible bond waivers, etc.

But Alan is probably right so I'll leave it here for now. Those finding this thread in the months ahead can send me an e-mail or PM and let me know of your interest. I certainly don't want to dilute interest in the SHTP.
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-28-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Maybe it could be every three years?

That would mean that people could do what Phil is aiming for....2011 LongPac, 2012 SHTP, 2013 SHTT..

Hmm....maybe SHTT isn't the best acronym? HA! Single Handed Trans-Tahiti.
    Single Handed Tahiti Race? SHTR. Hmmm. I see an "issue" here!

Bob, are you proposing that the SSS integrate a Tahiti race into the Society's schedule, such that the SHTP would become every three years, rather than every other year? Or are you thinking along the lines of "Hey guys, anybody wanna race to Tahiti?" and see what happens?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Or are you thinking along the lines of "Hey guys, anybody wanna race to Tahiti?" and see what happens?
    More like that, and I was thinking about every four years.

Also, I sometimes wonder about the long-term sailing plans of some of the SHTP vets. I would want it to be very much a race (vs. a Pacific Rally for Cruisers), but perhaps it could be double-handed* (or SH and DH divisions), for those who want to keep going. The Puddle Jump does that but it's totally cruisers, plus I have no desire to hang out in Mexico for a year.

*Does that help with the acronym?

Further edit - Nah, that doesn't really work. The boats carrying grand pianos and billiard tables (so they can "keep going") wouldn't make for a good race.

How about the Solo Tahiti Race - STR? "In the SHTP you race to another time zone, in the STR you race to another hemisphere." It does have a certain ring to it . . .
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-28-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Hey Bob.....why not just go sailing

if you wait for a crowd to go with, you may 'miss the bus'

solo around, in a year, is a J-92.....what could possibly go wrong??

Doubt I would hang around after '12 SHTP for race to Tahiti the following year - by then I should be whiling away my time someplace in the Indian Ocean.

Jim/Haulback

I like your idea Bob, and in fact a couple of SHTP vets, myself included, were (and possibly still are) planning a race from Berkeley to Japan at some point. Tahiti is wayyyy high on my list of places to sail to, so if this Tahiti thing becomes a reality, who knows, I might be game. I think it would be fun. I agree with making it a "race" and not a cruise, but if you start adding minimum LOA requirements and rating requirements, it will pull from participation in my opinion.

Some of you are talking about SHTP qualifying cruises next year to qualify for 2012 SHTP. I am tentatively planning on a SHTP qualifier next year from San Francisco to Kauai. (Original, huh?) Anyone interested?

Gaaah. I need a boat. sheesh.

My $0.02 (and I know I'm not a member...):

Having the SHTP every three years seems too far apart for somebody (like me) who missed it. And also for somebody who does not feel like going to Tahiti but likes racing to Hawaii...

Every four years, and on a LongPac year, seems to provide more oportunities to join the game (more LongPacs), and there are 2 SHTP for skippers to qualify for the next STR.

Something like:

2011 LongPac, 2012-SHTP, 2013 LongPac/STR, 2014 SHTP, 2015 LongPac, 2016 SHTP, 2017 LongPac/STR,...

In any case I've never prepared a race myself, and I have zero clue on how to make it successful... sometimes is just too hard to post a random thought without getting yourself into the class below:

as well as a certain contingent of sailors with small boats who mostly talk a lot but never apparently DO anything, (Phil will be an exception) who will be all over the event telling you how it must be done if it's going to be a success.
    Hope I can actually do something one day... ;-)

No worries Santi - I think I know who Alan is talking about.

Just to clarify, all this STR stuff is not official SSS business. It's just me kicking some ideas around with the rest of you. Maybe it will happen someday - the key is having enough interested skippers and then we'll get together and figure out the details. Or maybe a couple of skippers will just sail down there like Jim suggests.

Ronnie, the main reason for minimum LOA and rating is so all the boats get there in a reasonable amount of time. I don't envision stationing a race committee down there (skippers would certify their finish times) but we'd still want everyone to arrive within a week or two.

I wasn't taking a shot at you, Koh....it's just that there's a cerrtain "history" here.

Here's hoping that the new crop of owners will change all that!