Page 318 of 627 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322328368418 ... LastLast
Results 3,171 to 3,180 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

. . . and the San Diego Chapter of the 2018 SHTP Alumni Association was able to convene a lunch meeting with Webb last Tuesday.

Name:  group photo.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  4.22 MB

Bill Meanley, Webb Chiles, yours truly, David Clark.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    . . . and the San Diego Chapter of the 2018 SHTP Alumni Association was able to convene a lunch meeting with Webb last Tuesday.

Name:  group photo.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  4.22 MB

Bill Meanley, Webb Chiles, yours truly, David Clark.
    Envious!

Thanks to big wave surfer Rainer Stegeman for sending along these interesting pics he recently took of repurposed driftwood in the vicinity of Spud Point Marina, Bodega Bay:

Name:  Rainer1.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  Rainer2.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  1.16 MB

Name:  Rainer3.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  1.12 MB

Name:  Rainer4.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  1,012.5 KB

Lee's photos of GANNET beg some questions. Maybe Webb Chiles will stop by the Forum and give us some first person explanations.

Name:  Gannet4.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  2.05 MB

So what is the horizontal black strap on the corner by the transom?

More interesting perhaps is how was the sheet to tiller self steering arranged and in what windspeed and sail angle did it work best/worst? From reading Webb's blog, it sounded like there was shock cord pulling to leeward from the tiller. And somehow the jibsheet crossed the cockpit to the weather side, and then to the tiller. I only see one cam cleat on the tiller...

Of course Webb was a master at getting GANNET to balance by reefing combinations of the jib and main. Except for the mainsheet on its pedestal, everything led to 2 winches abeam the companionway, where he could reach them without fully coming on deck, even the mainsheet.

I like Webb's terminology of GANNET's "Great Cabin." I believe he is referring to the forepeak where he would sleep when conditions were right.

A colony of goose barnacles on GANNET's forward waterline above the bottom paint after 46 days? I've seen that before, even after a lesser time at sea. Goose barnacles are not small and were originally believed to be nests from which baby gosling geese hatched, thus their name.

Goose barnacles apparently are treasured by connoisseurs for their tasty eating, going for 100 Euros/plate in some Continental restaurants.

Name:  Gannet5.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  10.8 KB

This begs a question, how the heck do goose barnacles swim alongside and attach themselves to a moving, glossy fiberglass Moore-24 hull.

Name:  Gannet6.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  10.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-05-2019 at 10:54 AM.

OK. There is no prize for answering the following trivia except possibly coffee with Howard and myself at Santa Cruz Harbor's Java Junction:

Below is a photo of a new rudder recently delivered to one of our SSS stalwarts. The rudder will soon be mounted and tested, possibly in time for the Singlehanded Farallons, May 11th.

Whose rudder is this? Name the proud new owner, and/or boat's name, and/or class of boat. Bonus points (coffee refill) if you can name the builder of the rudder.

Name:  rudder6.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  1,008.4 KB

I know one of our "E-Dock e-regulars" has been getting press here about her new rudder, but that looks more like Larry Tuttle's work bench.

I'm gonna guess Hedgehog was desirous of a new Tuttle rudder, which seems to be all the rage among the cool kids. I am driving down next week if I win.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-05-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I know one of our "E-Dock e-regulars" has been getting press here about her new rudder, but that looks more like Larry Tuttle's work bench.
    BobJ thinks that might be Larry Tuttle's workbench. Might be, might not. Who is Larry Tuttle you might wonder?

Larry, aka Waterat, is one of those incredibly skilled Santa Cruz boat builders who flies under the radar unless you are familiar with his small shop on the grounds of the Monterey Bay Academy. Larry has been at his craft for longer than anyone I can remember.

Name:  Tuttle1.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  10.1 KB

Larry designs, builds and repairs boats (505's), rudders, foils, tillers, masts. Just about anything you want to be light, strong, and fast. This quiet master craftsman, no matter how busy (and he's been busy for 40 years), always has time to explain what it is he's developing.

Here's DOMINO's new Waterat rudder that helped DH win the 2016 SHTP after breaking off his old rudder on Day 2 of the 2014 SHTP.

Name:  tuttle2.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  tuttle3.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  93.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-05-2019 at 01:50 PM.

I'll recuse myself from the rudder contest......

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I'm gonna guess Hedgehog was desirous of a new Tuttle rudder, which seems to be all the rage among the cool kids. I am driving down next week if I win.
    Hi Jackie,

Is it my imagination, or has your font size become miniaturized? Despite the cross posting, and my laptop overheating, I read with my magnifying glass that your guess for the new rudder is Captain Hedgehog.

You are 100% correct. That is David's new Waterat rudder for his O-29 HEDGEHOG. Apparently David has sold DOMINO and she will be on the start line under new ownership. Congrats, all.

And Jackie, has Larry discovered you are stowing uncured epoxy paint in the fridge?