Page 414 of 628 FirstFirst ... 314364404410411412413414415416417418424464514 ... LastLast
Results 4,131 to 4,140 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Visits today by CBC PRO Jan B., and CBC Port Capt/Treasurer Howard S.

Name:  Jan.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  171.8 KB

For those who don't know Jan, her Southern charm belies a tough as nails approach to problem solving. As Captain Jan, she has done more windward/leewards off the San Francisco City Front than anyone except Hank Easom. How is that, you might wonder? The answer is, among her many jobs, she was employed as skipper of a amphibious DUCK giving tourists a ride on the Bay.

Name:  Jan2.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  124.6 KB

Another first, though not found in any record books, is in 2014 Jan drove 2,750 miles across the country without ever backing up once, something her Casita trailer in tow refused to do.

Special gal.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-14-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Attachment 6174

Vice-Commodore Synthia and staff member Rreveur visited the CBC clubhouse today. Lower right on deck table is a new set of acacia wood spurtles.
    This is the first photo of myself where I recognize my father's facial features in me! Up until now I never thought I looked like him, so had often considered that I was the postman's product.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

As seen this morning on Twin Lakes State Beach, "Honey, I've walked my 10,000 steps today."

Name:  pigeon.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  2.10 MB

photograph above by CDC painter Rainer S. As mentioned previously, it was Rainer who hung from a ladder and repainted the original red stripe on Santa Cruz west breakwater lighthouse green.

Name:  SCEntrance in April.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  107.6 KB

Watching the dredge crew this morning, the DAUNTLESS work boat attempted to lift one of the dredge bow anchors to reposition. After 20 minutes, there had been no success even with Dauntless's industrial A frame hoist, as the 2,000 pound Danforth type anchor was buried under 6-8 feet of sand.

It was riveting to watch the 46' DAUNTLESS's square bow dip underwater as the twin props spun the air while tugging vertically on the anchor cable.

Name:  Dauntless.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  23.8 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-15-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Name:  Sunset5.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  2.47 MB

Another photogenic sunset this evening, 1/21/21. I appreciate these celestial celebrations more than the man-made fireworks that set the dogs barking and shivering in fear, as well as sparking forest fires.

Tuesday, we had mucho viento from offshore, the NE. Tuesday morning coffee club at the breakwater was hurriedly disbanded due to the effects of being sand blasted. Even the pigeons were hiding out, apparently not risking flight and being blown offshore by gusts we estimated at 35-40 knots.

Today, 48 hours after the wind event, there remain 10,000 homes without power locally. Worse, the wind fanned smoldering embers from the tragic forest fires of August (5 months ago!) and we had at least a dozen new fires in the area with several hundred evacuations and Cal Strike teams from as far away as San Luis Obispo. The level of response required to fight the reignited fires was unanticipated. “I can honestly say that we weren’t prepared for this to happen in January, when normally it’s raining,” said the head of Cal Fire.

You may have heard of the mythical CBC, the Capitola Boat Club and Maritime Museum, located nearby and infamous for its eccentric trivia and ice cream awards. What you may not know is that, like its big brother, the SSS in the case of the upcoming 3BF, the CBC also has flexibility during these strange and stressful times to change its modus operandi.

Today was such a day. The CBC transitioned to its alter ego, the Capitola Bird Club as rumor of an exceeding rare bird, a White Wagtail, had been sighted at the Boardwalk beach. Normally, the White Wagtail is found in Northern Russia and the Western Aleutian Islands. So our local visitor was seriously off course.

The White Wagtail is about the size of a mockingbird and continually wags its long tail up and down. As I made my way down to the empty Boardwalk beach on a treasure hunt for this rare bird, what should fly low overhead? Yup, the wandering Wagtail. It landed nearby, about 50 feet away, and seemed to be feasting on kelp flies as it was darting quickly back and forth near a shallow lagoon. I watched the Wagtail's antics for about 20 minutes before heading back to CBC. Cool bird.

Name:  white wagtail1.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  Wagtail2.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  38.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-22-2021 at 03:05 PM.

The prize is Marianne's Ginger Ice Cream over a Gayle's Scone.
    The answer is 40 feet, plus or minus one foot.
    The first question of 2021 is: What three vertical measurements all meet the criteria of the answer.
    Bonus for anyone who can name four.
    Guess as many times as you wish.

1) DURA MATER's (Cal-2-27) airdraft less masthead instrumentation.
    2) The vertical clearance of the Noyo Bridge on Highway 1 just south of Fort Bragg, CA, at high tide which leads into a cool little inner harbor on the Noyo River.
    3) The vertical clearance of the bridge from La Conner on the Washington State mainland to the nearest San Juan Island at high tide.
    4) The advertised height of the TITANIC's lowest port holes.
    5) The vertical clearance of the Highway 101 bridge from Sausalito over the headwaters of Richardson Bay (Pickleweed Inlet) to Tiburon in Marin County, CA.
    6) The airdraft of an Olson-30, less masthead instrumentation, at high tide.
    7) The amount of 3:1 scope from the waterline on your anchor rode to lie at anchor at low tide in Brickyard Cove channel, 300 feet east of Richmond Yacht Club's bar..
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-23-2021 at 10:02 PM.

1, Cal 2-27 aircraft (guessing from published I dimension)
    5, Richardson Bay bridge clearance per chart 18649, 39’
    6, Olson 30 aircraft (guessing from published I dimension)
    7, 13’ depth seems possible there, I know it was less before it was dredged.

Tom K

Quote Originally Posted by Cover Craft View Post
    1, Cal 2-27 aircraft (guessing from published I dimension)
    5, Richardson Bay bridge clearance per chart 18649, 39’
    6, Olson 30 aircraft (guessing from published I dimension)
    7, 13’ depth seems possible there, I know it was less before it was dredged.

Tom K
    Well done, Tom!
    I did not know the area in front of RYC had been dredged.
    Another 40 foot height was the advertised distance above the water of the lowest portholes on the TITANIC. A lot of good that did! Hope to see you aboard CBC back deck one of these days. Happy New Year.
    ~sleddog

A sailing buddy whom many of us know, was at some risk of losing his house...

AGAIN...as the former house burned to the ground about 12 years ago... from one of the re-ignited fires. I hope it dumps rain, this afternoon. Evacuation orders have been lifted now, but still...

Those are knockout sunset photos.
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-24-2021 at 11:59 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I look forward to visiting CBC. But it will have to wait until I can sit in the car longer, my hip replacement isn’t there yet.

The Atmospheric River firehosed CBC early this morning, then moseyed south and is now stationary over Monterey and Big Sur. Here's this morning's 9 a.m. sat photo:

Name:  Atmospheric River.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  124.6 KB

Local winds in Monterey Bay here were not as strong as anticipated...20 knots seemed to be average. Thankfully there were no debris flows, flash floods, or significant power outages in the county. 6,000 had been evacuated.

The only casualty I observed, not unexpected, was the Santa Cruz Harbor Entrance is now closed, as opposed to the narrow (30 feet wide) channel that existed close aboard the East Breakwater as late as yesterday morning.

Name:  santacruzharbor.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  15.6 KB

So why was there a long line at the Toyota dealership yesterday? Seems the low early morning temps (the bird bath froze) had set off many low tire pressure warning lights, not usually seen in these parts. Many drivers, not knowing what the yellow light on the dashboard was, hi-tailed it for the dealership to set things right. Surprised they were to learn car tire pressure drops 1 PSI for every 10 degrees drop in ambient temp, sometimes triggering the warning.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-27-2021 at 10:43 AM.