Page 495 of 628 FirstFirst ... 395445485491492493494495496497498499505545595 ... LastLast
Results 4,941 to 4,950 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I'm gonna take Transpac '77 as a WAG.
    Interesting that PD VI was DSQ'd while "on-course" for the Whitbread, the keel not being grandfathered in with the rule change to ban depleted uranium.
    I'm remembering it was '79 at the start of the Transpac. Tabarly and crew had sailed PEN DUICK VI from Europe only to be told they were personas non gratis by the Transpac RC.. They did cross the start line, thumbed their noses, and turned left for Panama.

Woo hoo! Five millions views have been exceeded. Sleddog knows how to attract readers and continue setting records!

Cheers! More cheers!

Ants

Seeing as how Stan and Sally have bought a powerboat, Dan and Linda Newland cruising Alaska thought this Cal-20 in Wrangel would be perfect for the sleddog.

Name:  Cal 20.jpeg
Views: 786
Size:  2.45 MB

I like it! I got a soft spot for Cal 20s.
    May I suggest we call Elon Musk about some Tesla parts!

Speaking of soft spots for Cals, here's a link to Sally Honey discussing "Illiusion's" recent Bermuda Race romp. 3 Rolex watches and 1 Olympic Gold Medal among the crew!

https://youtu.be/5OIhTpAXJzc

My Corvitalis 5 day heart rate monitor didn't even last the first night stuck to my chest, coming adrift at 3 a.m. Same thing for the Zio brand before it.. Support doesn't recommend reattachment with Superglue..if it were me I would include a tube of 5200 with each monitor for more permanent attachment. But the rocket scientists behind these medical miracles don't seem to be sailors.

Speaking of adhesives brings back the memory of building spruce Star masts. We'd lay the freshly glued (Eurac glue) laminates together on horses, go over to the wall and liberate the fire hose, wrap the fire hose around the laminated mast, make sure the hose nozzle was "OFF," and turn on the fire hose, leaving it pressurized overnight. Clamps? we didn't need no stinkin' clamps.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-29-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Not first time, nor will it be the last, I call BS on an ocean race to Hawaii that allows a "motorboat class" where running an engine 24x7 is the only way to get to the finish. Yes, there will be boats racing that cannot sail without an engine, both to hoist and trim sails as well as canting keels to every puff and lull in the wind.

At the same time, Pac Cup claims "Going Green. The 2022 Pac Cup is once again a "Clean Regatta" in the Sailors for the Sea program. We're proud of our record in environmental respect, emphasizing responsible practices for decades. Besides going entirely paperless in our race entry process, we've added a number of other steps, including promoting and distributing reef-safe sunscreen and using ecologically friendly seals on emergency water, allowing the use of reusable containers rather than disposable.."

In this day and age of climate change, global warming, sophisticated and reliable wind, solar and hydro generation, why do we need gallons of fossil fuel to cross an ocean to generate power to crank winches, run autopilots, move keels, and keep beer cold while heating the cabin space? I believe a better example could be set. As well, running an engine anytime during the second half of the race means the NE tradewinds are pushing C0 (Carbon Monoxide) exhaust from the transom into the cockpit for the crew to breathe. Going Green is currently blowing smoke.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-03-2022 at 09:07 AM.

Not first time, nor will it be the last, I call BS on an ocean race to Hawaii that allows a "motorboat class" where running an engine 24x7 is the only way to get to the finish. Yes, there will be boats racing that cannot sail without an engine, both to hoist and trim sails as well as canting keels to every puff and lull in the wind.
    And you can get the Barn Door in the TP using such as well now and only a Asterix trophy for human powered efforts. I still have no problem for stored energy for autopilots and keels/water ballast but for the sails, no bueno. I did contact the new President of US Sailing to get an official response from the organization regarding the future of Rule 52 and he twice tried to refer my to Teeters regarding ratings. I keep responding this isn't a rating question but a request for an official stance on excluding Rule 52 from racing as many areas including ours are doing. He never responded. Sent you a PM with a response from our area US Sailing rep/YRA regarding Rule 52 and it's a laugh riot.

Congrats to Todd O. on O-29 GWENDOLYN who this morning reached 100 nautical miles offshore in his attempt at qualifying for the 2023 SHTP. Now to get back north and complete the 400 nautical mile requirement. Go Todd! (Apologies for the incomplete chart taken from Todd's Garmin tracker)
    Name:  GWEN2.png
Views: 463
Size:  16.4 KB

Update as of 0600 this morning, July 4th. Todd has completed 260 miles, and is on port tack, broad reaching north in SSW winds, 10 knots, 90 miles west of Farallones.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-04-2022 at 06:46 AM.

Headlines on Pac Cup Website for today and tomorrow's starters. All Systems Go! Ouch, Someone forgot to check the weather, which will present a not unusual scenario: starting the race beating to windward on port tack, trying to get south early on. But that's the direction the light wind will be blowing from until Thursday: S-SW <10 knots. There is no Pacific High at present. Though unlikely to threaten the fleet, Hurricane Bonnie should start to compress the isobars in a week's time. But getting out of town for today and tomorrow's starters ain't gonna be no giddyup.