Page 533 of 628 FirstFirst ... 33433483523529530531532533534535536537543583 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,330 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

In a shocking development in the current singlehanded Golden Globe Race, Tapio Lehtinen had just 5 minutes to abandon before ASTERIA sank. Tapio was asleep when awoken by a loud bang to find his cabin rapidly filling, this despite watertight bulkheads fore and aft .

Name:  Tapio.png
Views: 651
Size:  337.9 KB

Fortunately South African Kirsten Neuschafer was able to rescue Tapio from his raft and transfer him to a commercial ship headed to Singapore. What happened? Tapio does not know. ASTERIA was immaculately prepared. For an interesting tour of ASTERIA 24 hours before the start of the Golden Globe, go here: https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/th...230140/page-24 post #477

Talk about overkill!
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-20-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Wow- I wonder what failed. A loud bang would indicate a severe and sudden failure. Hit something that pulled the prop shaft or rudder out ? There is so much debris in the ocean now,
    In the world of sad and sudden news, I just learned that Jimmy Dewitt passed away. I will confirm this, but I know he just had a major stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    In the world of sad and sudden news, I just learned that Jimmy Dewitt passed away. I will confirm this, but I know he just had a major stroke.
    Sorry to hear this, an End of an Era. Jimmy was the best of friends, a wonderful painter, outstanding competitor, boat designer, sail maker, and oh, so much more. One of his prints has hung above my bed for 40 years, and I never tire of looking at it. A remarkable man.

Name:  El Toros.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  5.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-20-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Sad to confirm- he died last night

For me, most remarkably was that every time we met he always greeted me like an old friend. I often wondered, “Does he really remember me or is it just his way?” In a world that needs more kindness, he will be missed. The RYC flags are at half mast. He will be missed.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Name:  GEM.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  371.0 KB

1959 Snipe Jr. World's Champ Scott Allan on his Eichenlaub Snipe GEM in a Santa Ana Wind, Newport Harbor. Scott was first to have an aluminum daggerboard on a Snipe, partly because his brother couldn't lift the 80 pound bronze board at the weather mark. Other inventions were the traveler for the jib tack to slide it 5 degrees to windward or leeward for better pointing. Of course that was outlawed. Flying the jib as a spinnaker with a 9.5' Star whisker pole was also fast. No self bailing cockpits in those days.. The Snipe was first built in 1931, before the 110 or Mercury.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-25-2022 at 10:13 AM.

So sad for the loss of Jim DeWitt. He was around RYC regularly, with his mischievous grin and a story. Our family's first boat (1968) had DeWitt sails.

For those who may not have known him, here's a bit of information:
    https://www.jimdewitt.com/about

There are lots of great Snipe videos. I've been studying some of them frame by frame, since smooth tacks and jibes (with that long pole) take precise choreography. I've also been doing a lot of sit-ups! I'm hoping for a practice session next week with Del Olsen. The first race is December 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZacekYT-c
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-28-2022 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I've also been doing a lot of sit-ups! I'm hoping for a practice session next week with Del Olsen. The first race is December 4th.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZacekYT-c
    Does this mean you are now a Snipe owner? If so, Congrats! A cool thing about Snipes is they can be sailed with a mixed or junior crew. Weight and strength not so critical. I think my brother and I topped out at 260 pounds combined. Another fun thing is to enter the Open Class at Inverness YC, sailed under the Portsmouth Rule. Snipes are competitive against Flying Scots, Day Sailors, Lidos, Lightnings, Johnson 18's etc. At least one Snipe regularly shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Does this mean you are now a Snipe owner?
    The boat was re-donated to the RYC Foundation (we sold it once before) and we've had it for a couple of years. We plan to race it in the RYC Midwinters to show it off. It looks like a new boat but it will be 30 years old in March. I've done some work on it so I've become somewhat attached - it's a very nice Snipe!

https://www.richmondyc.org/ryc-found...boats-for-sale

Name:  SSS.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  392.6 KB

What's this? SSS meets Inverness YC 110 Fleet 56 for Sail-a-110 Day on Tomales Bay in perfect conditions: smooth water and wind 6-14 knots. There was Philpott driving SILVER SURFER with Annie on trap, Cliff helming PINK with Milly trimming jib, and BobJ pulling off a spinnaker jibe infront of IYC on David West's GUNSMOKE.

Judging by the smiles, a fun time had by all.