Page 565 of 628 FirstFirst ... 65465515555561562563564565566567568569575615 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,650 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Jackie got out of SFO just fine, thank you for asking.

Filled up my little suitcase with snow boots and thick wool sweaters, arrived to find holes in the ice on the lakes and 50 degree sunshine. Jeesh!!! What a letdown. I was excited, but that's all over now. I changed my reservation and will come back early, my dreams of 60 mph iceboating replaced by 95 knot winds in Oakland. A tree apparently fell on somebody's car down the street last night. Hope you all stayed out of harms way and tied your boats up tight while I was gone.

"Richardson Bay is not a safe anchorage in prefrontal wind."

What kind of coffee do they serve at the Taj Mahal?

Sanka. (I'm told it sank in that blow.)

https://www.oursausalito.com/housebo...houseboat.html

Name:  Storm2.JPG
Views: 505
Size:  293.0 KB

On Tuesday afternoon, as the storm approached the Bay Area, the system developed two “eyes,” [maybe THREE] or areas of low pressure, resulting in a “doubled-barreled blow” to San Francisco and Santa Cruz, said Bay Area National Weather Service meteorologist Brian Garcia.

The rare occurrence, known as the Fujiwhara effect, intensified winds as the low-pressure areas danced around each other.

Rick Canepa, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Monterey County, cited the two low-pressure centers “and possibly a third one that are just kind of rotating around each other.”

The phenomenon was contributing to peak gusts upward of 60 to 75 mph in the Santa Cruz Mountains, Canepa said, with 50- to 60-mph winds across Santa Cruz and Santa Clara counties.

UCLA climate scientist Daniel Swain [ https://weatherwest.com/ ] pointed to other unusual attributes of the weather system, including a “sting jet,” or localized acceleration of winds next to a low-pressure center. “The name comes from the 3D visualizations of this feature,” he said, “which look a little bit like a scorpion’s tail descending from the sky.” Swain said in a briefing Tuesday that the system had reached the benchmark for bombogenesis, or a “bomb cyclone,” which indicates a rapid drop in pressure.

Last edited by sleddog; 03-23-2023 at 02:02 PM.

Oops - sorry Sled! I clicked the "Edit" button instead of the "Reply to Thread" button.

Since I'm a low-level admin I can edit posts, but I didn't mean to edit yours. I can't undo it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Oops - sorry Sled! I clicked the "Edit" button instead of the "Reply to Thread" button.
    Since I'm a low-level admin I can edit posts, but I didn't mean to edit yours. I can't undo it.
    I'll edit your edit, and raise you one... Storm casualty: Wishing a quick recovery to our shipmate Bren who fell from a ladder up a tree and broke a leg...

Oh no! "Never climb a ladder if you're over (pick an age)." Very few observe that old adage (I sure don't).

I walked by Bren's Uno yesterday and didn't notice anything was amiss. There was a lot of stuff in the water, one boat had its hard dodger blown off and others had loose or missing covers. As usual, a couple furling jibs got shredded. In the SBY, the little Snipe looked fine but an Opti was blown off its rack, many other small boats were only *approximately* in their designated spaces and some were full of water.

There was more damage on the south and eastern-facing sections of Brickyard Cove.

In better days, Name:  TajMahal2.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  118.5 KB

Sausalito's iconic Taj Mahal houseboat is sinking with little hope of salvage. Despite 16 pumps and divers, she's a going down and reportedly can't be saved. First WANDERBIRD, then PURSUIT, now the Taj Mahal, Sausalito's waterfront history is slowly leaving us...

Name:  TajMahal.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  26.0 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-24-2023 at 06:26 AM.

As a kid, I was fascinated by schooners, Starboats, and photos of the TICONDEROGA. But I've also remained enamored of tugboats. Farley Mowat anyone?

Currently the tug GENE DUNLOP is a hauled at Dakota Shipyard in Anacortes, WA. Just looking at the underbody and the size of her propellers is impressive.

Name:  GeneDunlop.JPG
Views: 455
Size:  753.1 KB

Name:  GeneDUNLOP2.JPG
Views: 485
Size:  642.9 KB

https://m.facebook.com/themaritimete...26910740/?_rdr
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-26-2023 at 07:33 AM.

Grey Seas Under, was a fantastic read about the ocean salvage tug the Foundation Franklin.
    Those guys were as tough as the iron the tug was built of!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Grey Seas Under, was a fantastic read about the ocean salvage tug the Foundation Franklin.Those guys were as tough as the iron the tug was built of!
    Name:  Foundation Franklin.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  14.8 KB

SS Foundation Franklin, 155', single screw, 1,200 hp, was a seagoing salvage tug built for the Royal Navy as HMS Frisky in 1918. In 1930, the FF was sold to Foundation Maritime and renamed Foundation Franklin. FF became famous for many daring salvage operations and rescues between 1930 and 1949. Her many rescues and salvage triumphs were celebrated in Farley Mowat's book Grey Seas Under. "We don't need no stinkin' radar!" If you haven't read this book, and its companion Serpent's Coil , you are in for a treat. Good reading for SHTP.

A classic interaction: the tug barely survived a hurricane and was blown ashore in Bermuda. The storm ended and a crewman says, "Where are we, Cap?" The Captain says, "In the middle of a golf course. Start digging."
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-26-2023 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Currently the tug GENE DUNLOP is a hauled at Dakota Shipyard in Anacortes, WA.
    That is a LOT of zincs!