Page 586 of 628 FirstFirst ... 86486536576582583584585586587588589590596 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,860 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Alfred, Lord Sleddog!

It sure seems like you are having a grand old time discovering a new one design, with this 110.
    We are a goofy, fun gang up here with a goofy fun boat- the 110- and we love having Sled join us !!!!! The venue is pretty sweet too.

I just rescued a 1972 Yachting Yearbook from Danny's give-away table. The page for the International 110 Class lists 41 local 110s, with sail numbers ranging from 141 to 725. On the list are #418 HAWK, owned by Alex Bratenahl and #445 FUN, owned by Millie Bratenahl. Other notables are #349 --UGH, owned by Robert Klein, #642 BAGUIO owned by J.D. Vincent, #659 REPULSE owned by Robert George and #701 RHOMBUS owned by Mike Bilafer.

2023 Race2Alaska started today with 36 entries sailing in light airs from Port Townsend, WA to Victoria, BC in the "Proving Ground" qualifier. Next comes the 800 mile leg to Ketchikan, AK starting Thursday noon. Today's race was a tight finish decided inside Victoria Harbor by who had the best pedaling rig. First was the F-27 tri Team DOGSMILE ADVENTURES, 2nd was the pretty, 40 foot monohull Grey Wolf (TEAM WE BRAKE 4 WHALES) and 3rd, only seconds behind was our local Marin County favorite, the 25 foot tri, Team MOJO

Thanks to Keith Lorence, here's photos of 3 favorites to win this year's R2AK

Name:  R2AK Brake.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  3.39 MB
    Team We Brake 4 Whales has a comfy pedaling station. This 40 foot sloop has a freestanding mast, sprit, and water ballast. My guess is they will choose the outside Vancouver Island route like the winners last year.

Name:  R2AK Cycle.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  1.10 MB
    Team RUF DUCK got blown out of the water last year in Johnstone Straits. They're back this year with more savvy and a cool, tandem cycling rig.

Name:  R2AK1.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  2.92 MB
    Team MOJO is our hometown favorite. Go Tanguy and crew!

If you want a giggle, read the R2AK entry bios here: https://r2ak.com/2023-teams/
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-05-2023 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I just rescued a 1972 Yachting Yearbook from Danny's give-away table. The page for the International 110 Class lists 41 local 110s, with sail numbers ranging from 141 to 725. On the list are #418 HAWK, owned by Alex Bratenahl and #445 FUN, owned by Millie Bratenahl. Other notables are #349 --UGH, owned by Robert Klein, #642 BAGUIO owned by J.D. Vincent, #659 REPULSE owned by Robert George and #701 RHOMBUS owned by Mike Bilafer.
    Great that you rescued it Bob !!!! I sure wish I could find #349,#642, and #659. I remember their skippers well. Rhombus is being loved by her new owner in Port Angeles Wa, part of our newly revamped PNW fleet. The rest of those you mentioned are here in Inverness .

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    2023 Race2Alaska started today with 36 entries sailing in light airs from Port Townsend, WA to Victoria, BC in the "Proving Ground" qualifier. Next comes the 800 mile leg to Ketchikan, AK starting Thursday noon. Today's race was a tight finish decided inside Victoria Harbor by who had the best pedaling rig. First was the F-27 tri Team DOGSMILE ADVENTURES, 2nd was the pretty, 40 foot monohull Grey Wolf (TEAM WE BRAKE 4 WHALES) and 3rd, only seconds behind was our local Marin County favorite, the 25 foot tri, Team MOJchoose the outside Vancouver Island route like the winners last year
    you want a giggle, read the R2AK entry bios here: https://r2ak.com/2023-teams/
    Those bios are hysterical. Very entertaining. Thanks Sled- I love this race !
    Last edited by MillyB; 06-07-2023 at 08:32 PM.

Default GRAY WOLF, a wolf in sheep’s clothing?

I remember seeing GRAY WOLF for sale ~12 years ago. A very interesting boat.

From the builder: GRAY WOLF is a state-of-the-art wooden boat with strong influences from classic American work boats and yachts. Designed by Rodger Martin and built by Lyman-Morse she is intended for a wide range of sailing duties from daysailing to single-handed racing. Utilizing the latest in boatbuilding technology, she is stripped planked cedar covered with a layer of 85/l 5 fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. A combination of laminated frames and carbon fiber combine to make her a very strong, light weight boat. For exciting performance and shorthanded sailing an unstayed carbon fiber rig by Composite Engineering was selected. With all lines led to the cockpit, this powerful rig will be easy to handle as an offshore racer or for a daysail. Water ballast is used for both comfort daysailing and to allow more power from the rig. The 7 ft. bowsprit flies asymmetrical spinnakers with a drifter set on a removable furling drum. The normal headstay sets 150% and 120% genoas and the removable inner stay sets a hanked staysail to cover the upper end of the wind range. Outer headsails are attached to a strap around the bowsprit and hauled out to the end by a tackline running inside the sprit. The mast is unstayed, but uses running back-stays for luff and tension of the jibs which was deemed to be much simpler than a 3-spreader rig initially envisioned. Given the owner’s objectives of aesthetics, speed and appropriate materials, this rig covers a wide range of conditions and types of sailing.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 06-06-2023 at 09:08 AM.
    Tom P.

Thanks for the inside story on Gray Wolf, DAZZLER! Apparently her crew for the R2AK includes 6 women, all tougher than nails. A sponsor is a coffee company. GRAY WOLF's design is both a head turner and head scratcher. They're the real deal, and I wouldn't be surprised if they win the R2AK.

Name:  Whales.png
Views: 319
Size:  596.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    We are a goofy, fun gang up here with a goofy fun boat- the 110- and we love having Sled join us !!!!! The venue is pretty sweet too.
    Did Milly mention launching and racing 110's when the tide is out is challenging? Here is the inboard end of the start line at IYC on a minus tide last Sunday

Name:  IYC2.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  3.79 MB

Milly has it figured how to sail a 110 keel boat in that mud and get it to the dock.

Name:  IYC1.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  2.02 MB

She gets her PINK on a plane, and on the count of 3, she and her crew hike to leeward, tipping the boat on its side. PINK enters the mud sliding on her topsides, and momentum carries her to the dock pretty as you please, where they step ashore without getting muddy.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-06-2023 at 11:10 AM.

Those are wonderful photos and I would REALLY like to see a video of Milly doing that. Are you trying to dissuade me from bringing up Dura Mater later this year? Because it won't work. I've slept sideways on my boat before and I'm not averse to doing it again. Maybe a bit further out ...

Just last weekend I sailed in the Delta Ditch Run aboard Green Buffalo. Milly was there, too, aboard UNO with Bren Meyer. The first and last time I "did the Ditch" it was singlehanded and this was DM's and my experience:

We approached the point in the sailing instructions that reads, in bold print: AFTER THE ANTIOCH BRIDGE, LEAVE MARK #19 TO PORT. Of course I remembered that clearly, and we passed marker #19 to port. But then I had a bit of a struggle with the spinnaker, my ankle caught between the spaghetti and the gear shift, and before I knew it DM and I were stuck fast in the mud as the tide ebbed and the water got thinner and thinner @ 38.02274, -121.42705.

I kedged, I rocked, I used very bad language. No matter what I did, Dura Mater and I weren’t going anywhere. I waved to all the slower boats as they sailed slowly past. They waved back. I called my brother, Steve, who promised to come get me, but not until the next morning. I called Michael, who keeps a big fancy cabin cruiser up the Sacramento River. He laughed at me and told me to calm down.

As the sun set Dura Mater and I settled in for the night. I threw my danforth anchor out and turned on the anchor light. The depth finder read 4.1 feet and I believed it. I boiled water for noodles, heated up my spaghetti sauce, had half a chocolate bar for dessert, then brushed my teeth and turned in for the night. I will confess to being a little rattled, but what could I do? Surely things would look better in the morning.

I woke up in my VBerth when I fell sideways. Huh? Dura Mater, lodged in the mud, was heeled 25 degrees to port. I crawled over to the open companionway and looked out. The world was on its side at 1:15 am Sunday morning. The water lapped gently against the hull, there were a gazillion stars, and the ½ moon lit up my cabin. Hello, Moon!

I could see Channel Marker #21 blinking green in the darkness and a gentle breeze blew the smell of manure to me. And then, what is this? I heard the cows calling to each other in a field just the other side of that nice deep channel. Well, nothing to do about it. I repositioned my sleeping bag ninety degrees so I could sleep with my head elevated in the v-berth and set my alarm for the start of high tide at 5:30 am. Goodnight, Moon!

When I woke up, sure enough the world was straight again. I boiled water, made some strong coffee, waited for the boat to float, pulled up the anchor and unfurled my jib. Lordy! Lordy! Hallelujah! There was a gentle Delta breeze and Dura Mater, bless her heart, sailed by jib alone into the nice deep channel, ‘round Channel Marker #21 and slowly up the San Joaquin. After a bit the ebb started again and we motorsailed the rest of the way to the Stockton Sailing Club, where people were slowly recovering from the race and its celebratory after effects.

So I am not afraid.
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-06-2023 at 11:22 AM.

Pt. Reyes Station, pop. 848, is only about 3 blocks square, and sits atop the San Andreas Fault. Everyday, for all to hear, at noon atop the Western Saloon a rooster crows and a cow moos. Last Sunday when the rooster cock-a-doodle-dooed and the cow bellowed, Pt. Reyes came alive with its annual Western Days Parade.

Attachment 8477