Page 336 of 628 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336337338339340346386436 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,360 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It's fresh in my mind because of Will's boat in the LongPac and because I've been spending time in Surprise!'s stern area, staring at the rudder post, lower bearing, etc. Then we have Sled's post above, "at least five rudders compromised..." then OEX - and the Transpac is still in its early stages.
    Rudder-post Anxiety Syndrome (RPAS) is very real! Heavy doses of carbon fiber can alleviate but not eliminate the symptoms. I speak as a fellow sufferer.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Here's a drone shot of COMANCHE's cockpit and their powered winches.
    This is like those baseball records set by ball players who were doped to gills on steroids. They need as asterix by their 'record' finish time.

In the bigger fish and breaking news department, two boats I've sailed on have been involved in a rescue 200 miles off the Coast. The modified Santa Cruz 70 OEX, reportedly with rudder post damage and water ingress, has been abandoned, and her all pro crew taken aboard the nearby Andrews-70 PYEWACKET. PYE will be returning to the Mainland carrying 9 extra bodies. But what of OEX with nobody aboard? Her tracker is still working and drifting south at 2 knots.

Not for long.
    As reported by owner/skipper, Transpac sled OEX sank this morning at 0455 a.m. PDT. The crew was either in the liferaft, or already taken aboard PYEWACKET. They should be back in Long Beach early tomorrow morning with details of catastrophic injury to the hull in the rudder area. Navigator aboard was well known SF Bay Area Express 27 sailor Brendan Busch.

OEX was short for ORIENT EXPRESS, so named to distinguish from owner's other boat.

Name:  OEX1.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  61.2 KB

OEX was built by Bill Lee, was #9 Santa Cruz 70, and launched in 1988 as SILVER BULLET. Her heyday came in the Transpac of 1993 when she was First-to-Finish (Barn Door trophy), first in Class A, and first Overall. Clean Sweep. That year she was navigated by world class navigator and SSS great, Mark Rudiger, who sailed 2 SHTP's and won the SHTP overall on his 29 footer SHADOW FOX in 1984.

We're all one family.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-19-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Not to pour cold water on it, but this is the biggest reason why another SHTP is not a sure thing for me. These collisions, with resulting foil damage and DNFs (or worse), are becoming a frequent occurrence. Not just a regular occurrence, a frequent occurrence. Given the resources it takes to participate, it's a big consideration in the decision.
    Since insurance in a distance range single/doublehanded isn't an option I've always had to come to grips with writing off the hole boat.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    I've always had to come to grips with writing off the hole boat.
    LOL for the Freudian slip.

It's worse than that though. My worry was not losing the boat; I could eat the cost or be dead. It was going aground on a reef in Hawaii and having to pay for salvage and environmental damage. I got a blanket liability insurance policy for a couple of mil and hoped for the best. Specific marine insurance was not an option as you say.

Who is Ian Ferguson, from Emeryville, representing the Singlehanded Sailing Society in the Transpac? I don't remember his boat in any of our races. I don't even know how to type the name of his boat.

Name: "Nådeløs" - NOR 8620
    Design: Wasa 55
    Year: 1982
    Length: 44
    Hull: White
    Spin: Red

I take it back. Sailed doublehanded in the Three Bridge Fiasco. So the SSS has a pony in the race. Go, Ian! Hang onto your rudder!
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-15-2019 at 09:47 PM.

As reported by owner/skipper, Transpac sled OEX sank this morning at 0455 a.m. PDT. The crew was either in the liferaft, or already taken aboard PYEWACKET. They should be back in Long Beach early tomorrow morning with details of catastrophic injury to the hull in the rudder area. Navigator aboard was well known SF Bay Area Express 27 sailor Brendan Busch.
    First ever sinking in a Transpac. Here's a first hand discussion by OEX's John Sangmeister and PYEWACKET's Roy Pat Disney shortly after they docked at Marina Del Rey this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_2reRgdtOQ

Basically, "Bang!" at 0200 while close reaching at 14-17 knots. The steering went away. The rudder canted aft and the bottom bearing went out of the hull. The crew removed the rudder steering quadrant, placed and sat on a bucket over the hole, and tried to staunch the water ingress while bailing with other buckets. No joy slowing the geyser, and the boat filled with 4-5 feet of water as OEX's crew entered their two liferafts.

PYEWACKET was directly astern, 3-4 miles, and in VHF radio contact with OEX. PYEWACKET's crew plucked OEX's crew from their liferafts while watching OEX sink with her main still hoisted. Eerie.

I guess one thing learned in this new era of very fast boats racing across oceans that have considerable hazards of flotsam, jetsam, and cetaceans is the desirability of an aft water tight bulkhead just forward of the rudder shaft.

The same sinking scenario could just as easily happened in the LongPac to SEA WISDOM. Fortunately Will was only going 5-8 knots, not 14-17 like OEX. Apparently SEA WISDOM's lower rudder bearing didn't completely exit, and ingress of water was prevented. A near thing.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-16-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Surprise! has a full bulkhead in front of the rudder post but it has holes through it for the engine exhaust hose, hoses from the cockpit drains, etc. I could seal around most of those - I'll put that on the list.

Scott says it was a tough night but they kept their cool and even brought back OEX's rafts, not wanting to leave more debris on the surface.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-16-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Damn...a Santa Cruz 70 sinking? winces as I read back...

Bob, makes a long-keeled boat with an attached rudder more attractive, even if slower.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Nah, if I'm going to hit something I want a good run at it.