Page 420 of 628 FirstFirst ... 320370410416417418419420421422423424430470520 ... LastLast
Results 4,191 to 4,200 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Oh, Mini-Magic is looking GREAT!
    Name:  minimagic turnbuckles.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  99.6 KB
    Mini-MAGIC's bronze turnbuckles, each fully functional and about 2" long.

AlanH, I knew you'd be an admirer of the new mini-MAGIC and posed some questions to Craig, who has owned, designed, crewed, navigated, and skippered schooners inshore and offshore the majority of his years.
    Here's Craig's comments:

"Yes, the body of the winches will serve as turning “blocks” for the sheets of the loose-footed foresail and the headsail. As you suggested, these will be pivoting around a vertical bolt/bushing/cap combination. No need for a ratchet as the sheeting in or easing out occurs below deck at the R/C servo – as the working sheets come in on one side, the other lazy sheets are eased out automatically. (Sounds like a Scott Easom rig, hihi)
    Initially, reefing gear will not be rigged…but!!... the R/C transmitter has the ability to handle 6 to 12 channels and we will only be using 3 to sail her, so if I have nothing else to do….

The sails are ordered from a quilting lady nearby.

Hollow spruce masts are planned. The foregaff will be very light as well. Camera(s) can be rigged aboard to record that screaming broad reach across Morro Bay you wrote about ;-) The Dorades will be hollow, but will not vent below.

Displacement is calculated at 60 lbs in salt water. I suspect that the boat, minus her ballast keel, may come in in the 25-30 # range, so the lead bulb on the bottom of her (future) “daggerboard-style” fin keel should help keep her upright (depending upon how far down I hang the thing.)

A friend who builds similar sized R/C schooners put a recording GPS unit aboard one of his boats and clocked his on several runs. He ran the calculation to get a scale speed and was hitting 9-11 (scaled) knots reaching. It will be fun to do the same with m-MAGIC once I get her sorted out in her sea trials.

I will, no doubt, think up other projects to do on her, should I be granted enough tinkering time."

Name:  Magic1.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  311.2 KB
    The future MAGIC crossing Morro Bay under full sail? Hot Dog!
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-17-2021 at 12:52 AM.

I'm only moderately familiar with skippering Radio Controlled (RC) boats, the most recent being Dan Newlands in Port Townsend, WA. At Kawau Island in New Zealand I stepped off WILDFLOWER to participate in the Electron Class World Champs being held in the pastoral bay where we were anchored.

Name:  Electron.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  134.5 KB
    Name:  Kawau.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  9.0 KB

This token "Yank from Cali" was rumored to be a professional racer, but only mid-fleet in the 23 x 5 minute buoys races against 17 other Electrons.

I was less a pushover in the distance race, about a mile around the bay. While standing on the dock, with the RC control hung around my neck, I managed to work out a lead of 25 yards in the 8 knot, shifty breeze. The windward mark was a mooring buoy on the other side of the Bay, 200 yards distant.

My little boat had apparently reached the turning mark as I squinted, trying to improve my depth perception at that distance. When I was confident I'd overstood the mark a safe distance I bore off and....and...

My Electron stuck its pointy bow firmly into the styrofoam buoy. It took an agonizing few minutes to borrow a dinghy and row out to unstick my boat, now woefully a full lap behind the leaders...

"Hotshot Yank, eh?" I was ribbed mercilessly at the trophy awards.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/)/)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    With this in mind, I asked Craig the range of his RC control for his new little schooner MAGIC as she will zip across Morro Bay, about .5 miles wide at low tide. " RC signal travels line of sight" Craig said, "But don't really know yet how far 'til we get her launched and sailing."

For a bag of Tom's Best Ever Granola, what happens to MAGIC if she loses her RC signal from Craig standing on the eastern shore?

1. MAGIC will continue straight across the Bay until she comes gently to rest in the mud and eel grass on the sand spit. Craig will retrieve with his canoe.
    2. MAGIC's 3rd RC channel will default, ease sheets on the other 2 channels and drop the one pound, miniature CQR anchor and 30 feet of spectra cord anchor rode. Craig will again retrieve with canoe.
    3. MAGIC automatically tacks and assumes a reciprocal course back to her skipper.
    4. All sails ease out and automatically lower into their lazy jacks. Boat drifts slowly downwind and Craig retrieves.
    5. MAGIC heaves to and slowly circles in place until Craig retrieves.
    6. Craig has a small drone ready to launch which then relays the RC signal to MAGIC to resume Craig's control.
    7. Chula, the ships cat, appears from below after napping in MAGIC's comfy cabin, makes her way aft, gybes the boat, and steers MAGIC back to a bowl of catfood waiting at Vicky's feet.

Name:  Chula.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  352.2 KB

Only one answer is correct, and you may guess once every 4 hours. Ready, Set, Go!
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-17-2021 at 12:56 AM.

Not meaning to underestimate the gorgeous little boat’s own self steering, tacking or tactical abilities, I say “1” because I’ve run out of Fanny’s cafe granola aboard DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Not meaning to underestimate the gorgeous little boat’s own self steering, tacking or tactical abilities, I say “1” because I’ve run out of Fanny’s cafe granola aboard DM.
    Thank you Philpott. #1 seems a wise answer. Unfortunately for your granola fix, it is not the correct one.
    You can guess again at 12:15 pm if no one has answered correctly by then. PS: hint: do not under estimate Craig, Vicky, or Chula's ingenuity. These are schooner people, a whole different breed of sailor.

Name:  MagicArchie3.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  789.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-17-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Oh, my!! Skip is on a roll.
    Chula approves.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    Oh, my!! Skip is on a roll.
    Chula approves.
    Craig
    I would think option 4 is mostly likely.

(The others are highly entertaining)

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    I would think option 4 is mostly likely. (The others are highly entertaining)
    Ants
    Hi Ants, Greetings from Capitola! Chuck Hawley presenting tonight on an SSS webinar should be highly entertaining. He's raced 2 SHTP's, 1980 in a Moore 24. And 1982 in an Olson 30..Chuck's 6'3", what was he thinking sailing a Moore 24 to Hawaii? I guess we will hear. Chuck thought he'd won in 1980, and then came in a 41 year old, displacement hull, woodie Golden Gate class to take the marbles ...https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...d-Feb-17-7-p-m

I'm sorry, your answer, #4, to the quiz is not correct, but good guess. You can try another entertaining answer at 1:18 pm. Hugs to Marsha.
    ~sleddog
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-17-2021 at 11:03 AM.

I'll guess #6.

As a kid I visited Spreckles Lake. R/C sailboats were not yet the thing there. Most of the boats were still free-sailing pond yachts, directed by long poles when near the shore. The boats were hand-made and most were gorgeous.

Some years later I built and raced a Soling 50/800. It had three channels - helm, sheets (combined main and jib) and a jib fine-tune. We raced mostly on ponds in the East Bay but once over on Spreckles Lake. By then the tension between the free-sailors and R/C'ers was palpable. But the biggest problem was the R/C plane guys. There was a row of trees along one side of the pond, and they flew their planes on the other side of the trees. As radio channels proliferated, there started to be overlaps. It wasn't too bad if one of the planes suddenly came up on a sailboat channel, but it was catastrophic if one of us unexpectedly came up on one of their channels. The pilot walked over to show us the pieces.

Edit: Since I was wrong, I'll add that I considered #3 and #5. But if Sled is being precise with his terms, neither answer is possible.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-17-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'll guess #6.
    Hi BobJ

#6 is a good guess. But sorry, no granola for you at this time..Try again in 4 hours. I'm off to go paddling, and will check back shortly after noon.

I can't believe I'm grocery shopping with the alarm set on my phone, but that's how it is when you are part of a sailing culture run by a lunatic called Cat Whisperer.

In case I'm stuck in my red circle outside Market Hall's produce store where there is no phone service, I'd like it on the record (at 12:14) that my bet is on #6. Otherwise I'll just have to drive up to Star Market and wait in one of the red circles there.
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-17-2021 at 11:26 AM.