Page 442 of 628 FirstFirst ... 342392432438439440441442443444445446452492542 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,420 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Catching rain water while at sea never quite works as planned. WILDFLOWER had a simple system with barbed drains in the folds between reefs to attach a hose to, as well as rail drains that caught water and sent it below into jugs. Often by the time the passing squall had cleaned the salt off the sail and deck, the rain ended. Better to just enjoy the fresh water shower from the heavens.

Once at Hanalei, with the boom length awning funneling water into jugs, the regular nightly squalls kept WILDFLOWER's water supply topped up, and I never had to ferry water from the beachpark tap for my 5 return passages to the Mainland.

As this missive hasn't been posted elsewhere, here is the latest from ALOHA as forwarded by Margie Woods. Kyle's fortunate his wrap wasn't more serious!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aloha Day 11 Update
    Well, it’s day eleven underway now and I just passed the 700 nautical miles to go marker a few minutes ago. For those whom are somewhat mathematically challenged, that puts Aloha at just over 2/3 of the way through from San Francisco to Hanalei Bay.
    I have begun to slowly try to actually adjust my sleep schedule/internal clock to Hawaii time however the introduction of the trade winds light (as I have been calling them because they are lighter than normal in my experience) makes it difficult. The reason is the trades generally around noon local time or a little later begin to fill in, then as the sun goes down they maintain a steady pressure with the afternoon, but you get the addition of night time squalls. Through the night and into the early morning the squalls tend to build in strength and will have a greater effect on the boat. Then, not long after sunrise, winds die down to a moderate 8 knots or so typically (less the last few days), until about noon when the cycle beings to repeat itself.
    The rub being that with this schedule the ideal time to get some rest becomes the hours between about 7am and noon Hawaii time. Tie that all in with other important things onboard such as navigating, keeping a relatively decent watch out, meal prep and eating - so meaningful rest can and will likely be put on the back burner for the remaining few days should the winds continue to build as they are forecasted to.
    Today we saw a slight windshift which had been predicted in the gribs. It came in at around 4pm west coast time and led to a gybe back to starboard allowing to gain some mileage back to the west for a better angle to the eventual finish on port tack in a few days time.
    Last night for dinner I enjoyed a full serving of lasagna from backpacker pantry, this one I must say is right up there with the beef stroganoff as far as dinner quality goes. Obviously it lacks the form of a proper pan baked lasaga, but all the great flavors are there from the delicious ground beef to the noodles and spicy marinara sauce, what a treat, certainly better than I could ever make from scratch back at home.
    Last night I had a minor issue with the autopilot as it decided to veer about 30 degrees downwind of the course which I had set it for. In the span of about a minute before I rolled over in my bunk and noticed it, the spinnaker had taken itself and gotten wrapped around the furrled up staysail at least 8 times. This meant I had to throw on my life jacket and head lamp, tether in and run up to the bow, pull both sails about halfway down and unwrap them. Fortunately at the time, the winds were a fairly moderate 11 knots. After unwrapping the two, the spinnaker was still very much wrapped on its own, so I doused it all the way into the cockpit so that I could run the tapes on it and get out any twists before heading back up to the bow to hook it back up and reset it.
    A process that took maybe 15 minutes and shouldn't have cost me more than a half a mile, but which should be easily avoided had the autopilot done its job and been able to steer a straight course. As I type out this email, the autopilot again has been choosing to vary wildly in heading with a range of about 30 degrees which it is willing to steer. Imagine a blind driver on the I-5 freeway who is taking up all 6 lanes of traffic and only veers one way or the other when he hits the rumble strips on the shoulder, that's about what I’m dealing with for an autopilot from time to time.
    Breakfast this morning was a standard affair of Mountain House granola with blueberries and milk, a very simple one that doesn't even require heating but still very much hits the spot for breakfast with a bit of sweet along with the grains. For lunch I had a PB&J as per usual and an apple, and while i have two apples left, i fear they may have met their demise as the one i had with lunch had passed by ripe and was no longer at its peak of freshness, a sad moment. After lunch i had a very nice sea shower to wash away the stink of the last few days and a great fresh water rinse from the Waterport. From my observations and experience, simply washing with sea water will never quite do the trick as the salt residue left over always seems to leave me itchy and feeling very dirty, for that I am very grateful for my ability to properly rinse off with pressurized fresh water whenever i feel like it.
    With that, I suppose I should begin to rummage around and see what I should have for dinner before calling it an early night to hopefully get some rest should I need to hand steer or make any major corrections this evening. Keep on hopping for wind! Aloha!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~

Keep on "hopping," Kyle, you are doing great!

Assuming Kyle on ALOHA holds it together, he should be finishing about noon, PDST, or 9 a.m. HST tomorrow morning, Sat. July 3. Good timing Kyle!

Tradewinds are picking up, 18-22, with night squalls veering the wind and increasing to 25-27 knots at times. Most of the fleet is now under poled jibs at night, hand steering, or both. That is except for GREEN BUFFALO, who has the auto-pilot equipment to carry on under spinnaker, even read a book, hihi.

KYLE is running his AIS and you should be able to "see" him on his approach (https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:21.8/zoom:7 and estimate his finish time close enough to watch on the Hanalei webcam, which looks pretty much right down the finish line.https://www.hanaleibayresort.com/live-web-camera/

Once ALOHA is finished, the clock starts on the thundering herd. NOZOMI and MOUNTAIN should be breathing down each other's transoms, as well GREEN BUFFALO, SIREN, and PERPLEXITY in a triple boat for boat duel.

And then, whats that noise in the background, the one that sounds like a cross between a train and a waterfall? Why, it's HULA, bulldozing through building swells, flattening whitecaps, scaring flying fish, smelling like a french bakery, and going for the overall win. Not that Bill Stange is a novice at this. He won overall in 1988.

Forward, gentlesailors.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-02-2021 at 12:48 PM.

I am very sure Kyle is much enjoying his last afternoon at sea, hauling the mail in 18-22 knots of warm tradewinds, sailing starboard pole, hand steering and surfing waves at 10-14 knots under popcorn clouds and flying fish. ALOHA is currently 80 miles north of the nearest dirt, Molokai, and still has about 120 miles to go to his final jibe layline.

Those 120 miles should take him ~13 hours and we can expect to see him gybe to port in the early morning, Pacific Coast time, middle of the night, ship's time, for his last 50 miles. The wind will slowly lighten as he approaches the Island and perhaps glimpses the 24 mile loom of famed Kilauea Lighthouse just before dawn begins to break over ALOHA's transom.

Averaging 8 knots on his final approach, the RC at Princeville should get a call and be in VHF radio or cell phone contact with ALOHA tomorrow, Saturday morning, about 8 a.m HST as they are brewing their morning coffee and looking out at the blue ocean off their balcony. And Synthia, bunking aboard Lee's MORNING STAR, we be making sure SEA SQUIRREL's engine starts and the Aloha welcome gifts await Kyle's arrival.

Go Team!! sleddog out.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-02-2021 at 05:15 PM.

It's good to catch up...I've been afk for a week, backpacking. Looks like Aloha has finished...congratulations!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Congratulations Kyle at putting yourself and Aloha at the sharpest point of the spear!! I hope your Hanalei high stays with you for a long time. Enjoy it! - Commodore Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    Congratulations Kyle at putting yourself and Aloha at the sharpest point of the spear!! I hope your Hanalei high stays with you for a long time. Enjoy it! - Commodore Joe
    +1. Congrats, Kyle! Well done indeed. I am exceedingly happy for you and hope to shake your hand someday. Fingers crossed for your overall. skip allan, S/V WILDFLOWER SHTP 1978 & 2008.

Name:  IMGP0001-005.JPG
Views: 695
Size:  1.69 MB

Back of my hand calcs show Kyle on ALOHA has barely beaten Robb on NOZUMI on corrected (handicap) time by approximately 40 minutes....This is unofficial, as I'm currently camping in the Central CA redwoods, off the grid, and working by flashlight. But if so, this is one of the closest finishes in SHTP history. Can anyone confirm?

Now we get to wait to see if SHARK or HULA can knock off the leaders. This is fun!

Thanks to HEDGEHOG, here are the unofficial corrected time, (handicap)standings as of 10 pm,, Saturday, 4th of July, for the 2021 Singlehanded Transpac These will likely change as more of the fleet finishes. These times do include the 5 minute differences in start times.

1st ALOHA 11:22:57:36
    2nd NOZOMI 11:23:37:50
    3rd BUFFALO 12:05:14:45
    4th MOUNTAIN 13:00:40:08

Best to all from David and myself who both wish we could be there with you at Hanalei to celebrate. At least several distant parties I have spoken have watched these first four boats finish on the conveniently located Hanalei webcam, referenced above.

A reminder to any who are considering doing the SSS Singlehanded Transpac in the future: If you think your boat is not competitive, think again. The first three boats in the current 2021 handicap standings were designed an average of 52 years ago.

And if you want a turn key boat to race in 2023, Jim Kellam's HAULBACK, a Spencer 35, and previous winner of the 2002 SHTP, is for sale in the Pac.NW.

It's all in the prep and efficient sailing, and not so much in having a fast boat.....
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-05-2021 at 06:51 AM.

Are the official results published by Jibeset? Does Race Committee review the Jibeset data and the approve them as the official results?

Ants