Page 550 of 628 FirstFirst ... 50450500540546547548549550551552553554560600 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,500 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

It couldn't have been a nicer day. Aboard were forum regulars Tchoupitoulas and solosailor, Karl Crawford and our son Matt.

Back atya Greg!

Attachment 8036Name:  Akumu NYD.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  1,023.7 KB

The traditional NYD raft-up at Clipper Cove was just three boats this year. Perhaps the previous day's storm kept others in port. The Can's skipper can cook - Richard was aboard Mistress II again this year and offered persimmon cake, taco soup and other goodies.

Name:  Raft-Up 1.JPG
Views: 622
Size:  2.46 MBName:  Raft-Up 2.JPG
Views: 601
Size:  3.21 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-02-2023 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Congrats, INTERMISSION! I went out for a cliff walk and the count jumped 372. You snooze, you lose.
    I believe it is you, Skip, that deserves the *Congratulations*!

The view count is jumpy. When I first woke up this morning, we had about 151 views shy of a load. After breakfast, it had jumped 199 to fifty over, then there were several other posts and the count remained at 50 over.

Three weeks ago, when I gave a rough estimate of 90 days, I had divided the views by the years of the thread and then by 12 months, then by 30 days to come up with about 1100 views per day. Since the challenge, the views have more than quadrupled. I think Philpott had her thumb on the scale, but no worries.

Once I receive my autographed copy, I would like to auction it off to benefit youth sailing.

Besides ACSC and TISC, who in the estimate of this hive mind are worthy?
    Last edited by Intermission; 01-02-2023 at 06:15 PM. Reason: forgot a C

10/28/10
    Bug Lighters,

Greetings from Capitola. Well Done, Bill, on your exceptional service to SSS. And welcome aboard Commodore Max!

We anxiously await the launching of “Wisdom,” Alan H.'s new skerry. His PHRF just came in, and with a rating of 426, we are all in trouble. Meanwhile, I can't let Alan have all the fun playing in sawdust and glue. Read on:

Most of you know a little over two years ago I abandoned and scuttled WILDFLOWER returning from Hanalei. At the time, shoreside family responsibilities were paramount. To risk going missing, or becoming object of a dangerous and expensive rescue weighed heavily on my ultimate decision.

Many of you have asked when I'd be getting a new boat. WILDFLOWER was my home, office, calling card, and magic carpet for 34 years since I built her in Alameda. She is irreplaceable.

As a result of WILDFLOWER being uninsurable, I was set back on my sea boots. I walked docks, visited boatyards, perused ads, and trialed beckoning designs. I was determined not to rush into something. But my goal was clear: to get back afloat where my passion and skill could be returned into play.

A month ago a serendipitous event presented itself. I drove to Port Townsend for the annual Wooden Boat Festival where a small cruising catamaran called an ECO cat (for "ECOnomy") caught my eye.

Then shortly after returning home to Santa Cruz, I ran into an old friend, Howard Spruit, one of the original Santa Cruz surfers, ultralight designers and boat builders. I told Howard what I had seen. His response floored me. "We can build one of those. Let's do it!"

If there are three things you want for a boat building project, experience, enthusiasm, and a flush bank account top the list. I had two out of three. I couldn't afford to build a new boat. I couldn't afford not to.

Sometimes one has to go with the tide. Though I have minimal experience with catamarans and my learning curve is steep, we are beginning construction on cruising cat here in the garage. Mom, watching from her Sunroom, is not sure what to think. The termites in the garage rafters are dropping cellulose filler into the glue on command.

The boat, as yet unnamed, will be 22' LOA with road legal 8'6" of beam, and 1100 pounds of displacement, trailerable behind my mini-van. A single daggerboard, kickup C/L rudder, a Hoyt jib boom, a cozy cabin. Power will be a Hobie 18 sailing rig using second hand beachcat equipment. No wing mast, Larry. A 5 horse outboard will push the boat in calm conditions. Construction is Meranti marine plywood and West System epoxy glue. Destinations will be near shore cruises from the Channel Islands to the Pacific NW, the Delta, Lake Tahoe, possibly Alaska. Anywhere accessible by road and launch ramp.

Attached is a perspective drawing. I value suggestions, questions, and participation.

If you'd like to donate time, we have glue to spread. If you have gear sitting in the backyard or locker, we are looking for a trailer, anchor, sails, boom, tiller extension, outboard, etc. Or, if you just want to send a couple of bucks, that would help navigate us over some thin financial waters.

I can't promise much in return but photo updates and participation in an exciting project.

Stay tuned. Go Giants!

~skip allan aka sleddog
    310 McCormick Ave.
    Capitola, CA 95010
    ph. 831-475-0278
    e-mail: skipallan (at) sbcglobal.net
    This is too easy!

Give the book to Jackie!

Ants

I am proud of you big Bro!!
    Happy New Year to all, stay out of floods new and old, and fair winds in this year.

Marilee aka Lil’ Sis

Congrats, INTERMISSION! I went out for a cliff walk and the count jumped 372. You snooze, you lose.
    No kidding! I slept in late and didn't make it to the party in time. Maybe you will write another book, let me color outside the lines, sell it on Amazon? We can switch roles, I'll be your editor for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    This is too easy!

Give the book to Jackie!

Ants
    Beware of things that appear too easy.
    Tom P.

No, Jackie, never made a penny in the many years of writing on the Forum, which began long before "New Boat 4 Sled" came online 10/28/2010. If someone can find my initial post, or near enough, I will donate a copy of Sailing on Wildflower..
    ~sled, Your profile indicates that you joined the SSS Forum 9-26-2007. At 3:43 pm that day you posted possibly your first post in response to a thread about SSB. That thread is titled Ferrites and is in the race archives under Older Races.

“Lou,

I understand that the SSB system uses an automatic antenna tuner and that
    there is a coaxial cable connecting the SSB transceiver to the tuner. It's probably a good idea to separate the autopilot cables from the coaxial cable. But it's likely that the bigger source of the problem is that the signal radiated from the backstay is being "received" by the electrical cables that connect between various parts of the autopilot.

My radio guru suggests placing ferrite chokes at both ends of each electrical cable that connects between various parts of the autopilot, including the d.c.
    power cable to the autopilot. If you place a ferrite choke around the d.c. power cable, be sure to run both the plus and minus (power and ground) wires, together, through the same ferrite choke. If the ferrite chokes do not fix the problem, the next step is to make sure that all of the cables connecting the various parts of the autopilot are "shielded" cables and that the "shield" is connected to ground at one end of the cable. Although the shield is often connected to ground at both ends of each cable, the shield sometimes (often) will work better if it is grounded at only one end of the cable.

~sleddog”
    Tom P.

New 2023 rules go into effect for racing at 110's at IYC. Besides the start line becoming unrestricted after the start, 110 skippers and crews have agreed to compete solely with 110% jibs rather than optional 150% overlap genoas.
    OMG. How does 110 skippers agree on anything? Asking for a friend.

Happy New Year, Sled! Congrats on the 6 million record views. Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    ~sled, Your profile indicates that you joined the SSS Forum 9-26-2007. At 3:43 pm that day you posted possibly your first post in response to a thread about SSB. That thread is titled Ferrites and is in the race archives under Older Races.

“Lou,

I understand that the SSB system uses an automatic antenna tuner and that
    there is a coaxial cable connecting the SSB transceiver to the tuner. It's probably a good idea to separate the autopilot cables from the coaxial cable. But it's likely that the bigger source of the problem is that the signal radiated from the backstay is being "received" by the electrical cables that connect between various parts of the autopilot.

My radio guru suggests placing ferrite chokes at both ends of each electrical cable that connects between various parts of the autopilot, including the d.c.
    power cable to the autopilot. If you place a ferrite choke around the d.c. power cable, be sure to run both the plus and minus (power and ground) wires, together, through the same ferrite choke. If the ferrite chokes do not fix the problem, the next step is to make sure that all of the cables connecting the various parts of the autopilot are "shielded" cables and that the "shield" is connected to ground at one end of the cable. Although the shield is often connected to ground at both ends of each cable, the shield sometimes (often) will work better if it is grounded at only one end of the cable.

~sleddog”
    Operator error again.
    Drats.
    Congratulations to Dazzler.

Good thing cryptocurrency is not on the line.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Nice find, Dazzler! You win a copy of Sailing on Wildflower, along with Intermission.