Page 555 of 628 FirstFirst ... 55455505545551552553554555556557558559565605 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,550 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Great story about the USS Enterprise, Skip, and well told. I looked up the consequences for that rear admiral, Robert L. Leuschner Jr. Things did not go well for him. Imagine 6000 people under your command, any one of whom could bring you down for one reason or another.

I read this: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...-60-story.html

Whee! If you've checked the USGS river runoffs into SF Bay, you will find the amount of surface fresh water from the Sierra ebbing out the Bay is overwhelming the salt water flood. (Brown fresh water floats on top of blue/grey salt water.) With the majority of the 3BF fleet starting near Max Ebb, it will be a quick ride to Blackaller and then out the Gate. Thinking of starting going east to TI or north to Red Rock first? Get ready for your plans to be inadvertently changed.

Local excitement mounting with today's security dry run for storm damaged Santa Cruz coastal communities' visit tomorrow by POTUS. Blackhawk helicopters that just overflew CBC were proceeded by (2) VM-22 Osprey's, as well as Homeland Security black SUV's on local streets.

Name:  Biden.jpeg
Views: 570
Size:  20.0 KB

President Biden wouldn't need this backup if he was just going to stand in line at Gayles Bakery for a latte and sweet...He'll be touring the broken Capitola and Aptos waterfronts for dispersion of federal aid. This will not be a public event. But CBC is right on the motorcade route along Park Avenue where two $1.5M, 10-tonne, 18-foot bombproof Cadillac ‘Presidential Beast’ limousines, containing shotguns, grenades and night vision will be passing.

All SSS and CBC members welcome for this one time event where Uncle Joe will visit Zelda's On the Beach to see a giant beam from the broken Wharf that washed in a window, destroying the interior of this popular watering hole.

Name:  Zeldas.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  124.8 KB

No worries, Secret Service has assured us that members and friends of the Inverness International 110 fleet are not considered terrorist threats at this time despite their somewhat unusual approach to yachting.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-18-2023 at 09:57 PM.

Inverness 110ers are generally only a threat to each other, and when on the racecourse. Otherwise, we are generally, pretty harmless. I heard that the POTUS itinerary was: Landing at San Jose. from there a chopper flight over the waterfront damage, landing in Watsonville. and driving back to Capitola. Enjoy your moment in the bright lights Sled !!!!!!!!!!!

When POTUS comes to town today, he will have a good view of the broken Capitola Wharf, first built in 1857. As many guests to CBC have experienced, no visit would be complete without a "history" walk along Soquel Creek and out onto the Wharf.

For a short, 7 minute video of the history of the Capitola Wharf, here's a good place to go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qK71qtfWQo.

Brad and Tom: your autographed copies of Sailing on Wildflower await. Jackie, as honorary CBC cheerleader and charter member, might get one too. There's drawings of the Capitola Wharf on the front cover and page 19.

Name:  Sailing on WILDFLOWER.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  54.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-19-2023 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks for the link to that interesting video Sled !

Thanks also for the video history lesson with pictures.

While there was attempts to harness wave power at the wharf, the Borel powerhouse began construction in 1898 and put into service in 1904. It would have remained in service, but in the current Corps of Engineers dam renovation for safety purposes, water diversion to feed the Borel ppwerhouse was eliminated. The powerhouse is undergoing steps to decommission the facility. The initial electricity use from Borel was to power the electric trolleys in Glendale.

Ants
    Name:  09DB3FC9-81A5-4BDC-835C-5AB70B1A6FA9.jpeg
Views: 585
Size:  2.80 MB
    Last edited by AntsUiga; 01-19-2023 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    . Jackie, as honorary CBC cheerleader and charter member, might get one too.

Well there goes my plan to extort Philpott under the guise of charity!
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Well there goes my plan to extort Philpott under the guise of charity!
    I think the extortion merely migrated. Baked goods will be negotiated. Eggs will be broken.

Well, that was fun, and most impressive! After a lound, thumping, flyover with 3 Osprey and multiple other aircraft, at 1:45 pm President Biden's motorcade, numbering about 30 SUV's, vans, and other support vehicles, as well as 50 motorcycle police came down Monterey Ave and turned right into Capitola Village. The large crowd cheered wildly as they passed and parked in a line along restaurant row on the Esplanade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrUVsrLP9Lw&t=9s

Name:  Biden5.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  49.9 KB

Secret Service support was everywhere, a most impressive show of security.

Name:  Biden4.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  66.8 KB

After touring the broken waterfront buildings, the President stepped out in the open, removed his black cap and aviator's sunglasses and waved to the large and welcoming crowd. We had negotiated a position on the beach, about 150 feet away, and could see Biden's smile clearly as the crowd waved back and cheered.

Name:  Biden3.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  59.8 KB

My first, and probably last time seeing a sitting U.S, President. Who would have thought right down hill in CBC's hometown. Wow.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-20-2023 at 07:48 AM.