Page 453 of 628 FirstFirst ... 353403443449450451452453454455456457463503553 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,530 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

"Can I sail with you sometime?"

Singlehander: "Sorry, this pie is occupewed."

I've never actually said it but I've thought it a few times.
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-04-2021 at 09:04 AM.

Hi Sled, please check your PM's

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Hi Sled, please check your PM's
    I was recently queried by a friend, a certifiable Westsail 32 owner, whether I thought he could sail his boat at 4.2 knots BS in 4.2 knots AWS at 48 degrees AWA, with the verifiable true wind nearly dead aft at 3 knots. Before I publicly answer, I'd like to take a vote: could he or couldn't he? Just type yes or no below. I should add I just won $20 of Macapuno Icecream which would go to defraying your brain warming guess work.

Meanwhile, at Catalina, we recently witnessed a Catalina 36 under power, transiting from Howlands Cove to Emerald, T-bone a mis-charted rock pinnacle 3 feet underwater in 25 feet of dark blue water, 100 feet from the nearest shore How did we know? Our mooring for the Cal-40 RADIANT was only 250 feet inshore from the incident and the crash was quite audible.

Catalina 36's must be stout. The fellow motored off, weaving as he went. We rowed out to investigate the rock, but due to urchins, I refrained from standing on the pinnacle for a picture.

Name:  Radiant1.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  108.6 KB

Let it rain!
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-21-2021 at 05:52 PM.

"Just type yes or no below. I should add I just won $20 of Macapuno Icecream which would go to defraying your brain warming guess work."

YES!

???

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    "Just type yes or no below. I should add I just won $20 of Macapuno Icecream which would go to defraying your brain warming guess work."
    YES! ???
    One curious YES! vote by a 505 dinghy, Moore 24, and multihull designer of repute telling us it is possible for a 28' LWL, 10 ton, monohull to sail 1.4 times the speed of the wind in 3 knots of wind. Hmmm. Even the AC boats can't do that without being towed. Any other opinions?
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-21-2021 at 08:47 PM.

(another) YES!
    Tom P.

Wow, two votes YES! Any more? I will note both affirmatives are very good at turning the true wind into apparent...Even still, 3 knots of wind making 10 tons move at 4.2 knots through the water seems a good trick.

No.

Sorry I was unable to be at RYC yesterday for pioneer and sailing legend Jocelyn Nash's tribute and sendoff. Here is a brief description from one of her many admirers:

"Joc got a very sweet and proper sendoff today. The Nash family really rocked it and I saw a side of Gordie Jr that I have never seen before, and truly love. He and Ruth took the little tugboat that he built out and anchored not far outside the Richmond Channel. He had built a small paper boat that he put Joc's ashes in, set it on fire and let it off the stern on a fishing line. The rest of the many boats that came out circled them, throwing flowers into the water. It was moving and sweet. We had a boatload of Dewitts and some other friends.
    Back at the club, the tributes poured out for three hours and were moving, funny, and so Joc !
    I was asked to speak and the first thing I asked was how many people in the room had worked at DeWitt sails, It seemed like half the room raised their hand- so fun ! It was a festival of old friendships- some I hadn't seen in many years, like Hank Jotz.
    Joc had a great run, and lived life her way. One of my all time mentors": Milly Biller

Name:  jocelyn.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  8.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-22-2021 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    No.
    I'd ask Randy. He's the only Westsail 32 owner I've met who is realistic about the boat's performance and isn't trying to defend it.