Page 469 of 628 FirstFirst ... 369419459465466467468469470471472473479519569 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

First is a Herreschoff 12-1/2, aka Doughdish, designed by Nathaniel Herreschoff.
    Second is a Penguin, designed by Philip Rhodes. My dad built a penguin in around 1960 but only attempted to sail it once because there wasn't a good place to launch it in those days near Santa Monica. Got swamped in the shore break at the Santa Monica pier and he didn't try sailing again until 1963 when he bought a Cal 20 after Marina del Rey was opened.

Third... I have no clue.

Tom K

Quote Originally Posted by Cover Craft View Post
    First is a Herreschoff 12-1/2, aka Doughdish, designed by Nathaniel Herreschoff.
    Second is a Penguin, designed by Philip Rhodes. My dad built a penguin in around 1960 but only attempted to sail it once because there wasn't a good place to launch it in those days near Santa Monica. Got swamped in the shore break at the Santa Monica pier and he didn't try sailing again until 1963 when he bought a Cal 20 after Marina del Rey was opened.Third... I have no clue.
    Tom K
    Bingo! Tom K. Good eyes. The Nathanial Herreshoff 12.5, when built in fiberglass, is called a "Doughdish." At first I pooh-poohed the design. But darn if they are not cool little boats to sail and have quite a following up and down the East Coast. As reported elsewhere, we won the Buzzards Around-the-Island Regatta with one in a photo finish which required sailing across the finish line backwards.

My nephew races his wood Penguin with either of his kids for crew. The class is also popular in the East, 10-20 boats out regularly in Annapolis, and I believe has a minimum weight for skipper and crew. Maybe someone knows more than I, but the Penguin, designed in 1937 for home builders by Phil Rhodes, has stayed modern. I know you can see at least one sailing the Napa River near Vallejo with a new North sail on a wooden spar. Sorry, Tom, your Dad couldn't get your Penguin through the Santa Monica shore break! There was no Marina Del Rey harbor in those days. The closest place to launch probably would have been Cabrillo Beach, the home of "Hurricane Gulch." And everything blows downwind from there!

The couple and kid on the Starboat all sailed Stars, but the couple were, and likely always will be, famous in Star Class history for being the first and only mixed gender skipper and crew to win a World Championship. You will recognize their names immediately when someone guesses correctly. As for the kid, that's the young sleddog.

Addendum: I believe the Doughdish above is for sale at Santa Cruz.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-15-2022 at 07:30 AM.

2nd hint: two Skips in the third photo

Aha! I cheated (looked it up), the Star sailing couple are Skip and Mary Etchells.
    Always good to learn something from Sleddog's quizzes.
    Tom K

Name:  Tsunami3.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  31.5 KB

A good day not to be kayaking at Santa Cruz Harbor. Starting about 7:45 a.m., at 20 minute intervals, 3-4 tsunami pulses hit Santa Cruz Harbor, breaking the dredge loose from its moorings and disconnecting the dredge pipe to shore. A number of the larger boats left the harbor to dodge the tsunami and were then stuck outside for 10 hours until things were put to rights and the dredge was moved back to its moorings and the sunken dredge pipe retrieved.

Name:  Tsunami1.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  194.1 KB

Where I usually park to launch my kayak, the 6 foot high tide with the tsunami wave on top flooded the parking lot and several vehicles were partially submerged.

Name:  Tsunami2.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  28.5 KB

Though the CBC does not own a TV, apparently national news feasted on Santa Cruz Harbor and the CBC switchboard lit up taking calls from across the country wondering if CBC was still afloat. The fact is CBC can raise itself to 90 feet above sea level with its specialty airbags and inflater, and all is well.

Other good news is Port Captain Spruit's little wood cat, MOKU, did not launch itself off its trailer in the flooded dry storage yard.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-16-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Here's an evocative, 2 minute video of the Santa Cruz Harbor dredge breaking its forward moorings yesterday in one of the tsunami pulses. Had the dredge come completely adrift and savaged the docks and slip area, there would have likely been a very expensive repair bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8dc2ypJDGI

An interesting phenomena happened in Soquel Creek, nearby and downhill from CBC. A tidal wave "bore" entered the river mouth and reversed the flow of the Creek well inland. This video is shot looking northeast towards Stockton Ave. bridge and Margaritaville on the Esplanade. Doggies.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1482471813883985923

Both the Santa Cruz Harbor Entrance and the mouth of Soquel Creek face south, meaning wind and wave from that quadrant enters the usually placid waterways with interesting and often damaging effect.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-16-2022 at 11:39 AM.

I am so hoping this goes through... DH Jan 22, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I am so hoping this goes through... DH Jan 22, 2022
    David H., David N, Rob, and to any and all who helped repair the broken SSS FORUM, A BIG THANK YOU! And Well Done!.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-24-2022 at 09:43 PM.

Chilly sunrise walks here at CBC, with 39 degree temps the last two mornings. The clear skies don't hold in the warmer temps at night. But do provide for a vivid green flash at sunrise over the crest of the Diablo range. Curiously, just before the upper limb of the sun appears, for about 20 seconds, a thin horizontal layer of white cloud appears just above the horizon.

Low confidence for much breeze this Saturday for 3 Bridge Fiasco. As is often usual, the ebb current will be strong, increased by snow melt runoff from the Sierra. There is a lot of debris currently floating in the Bay to contend with. Depth sounders and anchors at the ready. Beware the exclusion zones. They are tempting, but illegal shortcuts.

And again thanks, especially to Dave N. (Pogen), for fixing the FORUM. Onward.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-25-2022 at 08:47 AM.

Many will remember our SSS Canadian friend, Jim Kellam with his Spencer 35 HAULBACK. Jim, a licensed tugboat captain, has participated in multiple SHTP's, and was overall winner in 2002, showing that a well sailed, heavy displacement, traditional hull, with wind vane, conservatively sailed, and not flying a spinnaker, had the chops to compete. The real secret was HAULBACK was exceedingly well prepared, and Jim knew his boat's capabilities.. Here is a report from Capt. Jim received yesterday:

Long time no see/hear!
    Got back into Canada early May, after a very pleasant, if not terribly windy, sail up from Tahiti.

Name:  Haulback2.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  7.0 KB
    Name:  Haulback3.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  155.0 KB

Didn’t take long to find a new owner for the old girl, so now living ashore in Vancouver.
    Bought a touring bicycle and some camping gear, then managed to get in a short bike ride before summer ended from the eastern Rockies, across the Canadian prairies, to Winnipeg. A longer one planned for this year.
    So, I am doing well and not missing the sailing life in the least……I guess i must have gotten in my quota of sail changes.
    Hope all is well with you.
    Bye for now…..Jim
    PS here is a link to the journal I wrote about my bike trip
    https://cgoab.com/jimak

Jim's e-mail is haulbackathotmaildotcom if you'd like to say hello.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-25-2022 at 09:08 AM.