Page 557 of 628 FirstFirst ... 57457507547553554555556557558559560561567607 ... LastLast
Results 5,561 to 5,570 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

That's Mike Smith's photo from EOS.

Originally posted here: https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...s-Table-Posted

Great Write up Sled ! Sounds like it was a very fun Fiasco ! Next year !!!!!!!

Wonderful pics and comments, Sled !!!!!

Props to DAZZLER for bulldogging a discrepancy in 3BF finish times and sleuthing a Slackwater_SF photo, showing the DH 111-159 winner, using a headsail whose number didn't match the entry, finished ~two hours later than recorded. Well done, Sir! (Tom has served on the 3BF multiple times and appreciates the challenges. His and Sues 4th in their 30 boat class was well earned. DAZZLER went CCW.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whatever floats your boat. Today it was paddling laps on Brewer Lake, east of Watsonville, full of wildlife. Brewer Lake has no outlet and in the recent rains has reached a high water mark indeed. Portola passed near these parts in 1769 after missing Monterey, probably due to fog. Brewer Lake is small enough, 1/3 mile x 150 yards, that white pelicans have to circle twice to gain enough altitude to fly clear. The only sound was roosters crowing on shore, not your usual yachting soundtrack.

Name:  Brewer Lake.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  24.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-03-2023 at 08:01 AM.

That's really beautiful. How close is the parking?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    That's really beautiful. How close is the parking?
    Sorry to say, there is no public access to the lake without knowing a property owner.

Gorgeous looking place Sled !!!!!

You know my quest for a 'better mousetrap." Poison is not a better mousetrap. Instead, poisons end up killing just the things we are trying to save. We of the Silent Spring generation remember how close we came to losing osprey, pelicans, eagles, peregrines, and condors forever with huge overuse of DDT, still plaguing our waters of the Catalina Channel.

School is out, but the New Zealand designed and built A24 we bought today for experimentation looks interesting. There is no rat problem here at CBC. But there is at the Crows Nest Restaurant at Santa Cruz Harbor and Whole Foods Market where there are dozens of bait boxes, at least 24, filled with high tech poison formulations, so many that people were tripping on one baitbox at the front door of Whole Foods.

Here is the A24, available at Ace Hardware. It doesn't use poison, no tending or resetting is necessary, and it optionally records strikes on a visual meter.

Name:  A24.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  50.9 KB

Clockwise from lower right: the C02 cartridge, chocolate pudding attractant, test strips, instruction manual, and the A24 with one moving part. Will report on results. Does DOLFIN carry the A24 at Hammer and Nails?
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-05-2023 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    You know my quest for a 'better mousetrap." Poison is not a better mousetrap. Instead, poisons end up killing just the things we are trying to save.

School is out, but the New Zealand designed and built A24 we bought today for experimentation looks interesting.
    We are vastly outnumbered by critters of all types up here in the hills. Mice, wood rats, voles chipmunks, squirrels, and gophers by the herd. We've paid thousand$ in car repairs for chewed wires and inhabited fans in our cars. I've tried many ways to deal over the 50 years that I've lived at 2500' elevation.

When my neighbor a mile down the road, said he was having good kill rates with electronic traps, I bought one to try. After weeks of not catching anything I complained to my neighbor. He asked if I was using the small or large size, and I told him I'd bought the small one to try. He then said "I've never caught anything with the small size; you have to use the large (more expensive) size". Reluctantly, I paid the extra money and got the large. They work by capacitor discharge when the rodent shorts across 2 metal plates.
    I took it home, installed the battery, loaded the bait holder with peanut butter, stuck the trap in the shed and waited with baited breath (pun intended). The next morning I went out to see the results, and when I opened the shed door the "trap tripped" light was on! I picked up the trap, opened the door to discover that the bait was all gone, and whatever left a nice turd on one of the plates, but no carcass. Thoroughly disgusted and $65 poorer, I've never re-baited.

I will be as interested in your report Sled, as much as I'm interested in the next post on the New Boat 4 Tchoup thread.

I wish you many kills Sled.

Name:  catch & release mouse trap.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  91.2 KB

My version of a better mouse trap:
    1. a bin that's taller than the jumping height of the intended target
    2. a dowel that spans the opening plus some overhang
    3. a plastic water bottle with a hole cut into the bottom that the dowel is fed through
    4. peanut butter smeared in the middle of the bottle as an attractant
    5. not shown in photo: a roll of chicken wire attached to the top edge of the basket next to the dowel that serves as the access to the attractant
    6. a willing partner that will drive you and the captured target at least a mile away to it's new forever habitat
    7. dog not required
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image