Page 258 of 628 FirstFirst ... 158208248254255256257258259260261262268308358 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    You guys are having too much fun up there.
    We did the best we could. Jackie and I tag-teaming to help stem the bleeding of some of the R2AK fleet that seems predominantly ill prepared, unpracticed, and shaken down for the potential seriousness of what lies ahead. Comparatively, the R2AK makes the SHTP look a fleet of school teachers, with our Forum and participants posing and answering questions, seminars, qualifying passages, inspection, organization, etc. Little of that for the R2AK.

It was fun working with Jackie, whose goodwill and words of kindness helped sweeten my more "call it as I see it" approach. However, I think even Jackie may have been a bit taken aback when her new friends from Wisconsin pulled their spanking new sails from the bag to hoist for the first time.

Says Jackie, "they look beautiful!
    Says me, eyeing the Precision sail logo, "Looks like someone mismeasured. They're two feet short on all dimensions...I hope you still have your old sails....."

Just some of what we saw today:

1) A Craigs List boat that seemed to be missing its spreaders. The crew had zero tools or spare parts. But had borrowed a hammer to cut a pallete

2) A trimaran whose newly purchased West Marine oars didn't reach the water.

3) An older IOR warhorse whose crew was building rough oars from 2x4's, and the glue wasn't kicking off.
    Name:  R2AK4.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  542.3 KB

4) A Tornado cat that had yet to have its deck hardware mounted. Here's Jackie helping:
    Name:  R2AK3.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  515.5 KB

5) A boat whose bow was damaged at the waterline, whose crew seemed unclear on the concept and were more attentive to proper arrangement of hors d'ouvres on their beautiful cabin table.

6) A missing entry eventually located as choosing to participate in a Reality TV show about his participation in the R2AK, rather than doing the real R@AK.

7) A singlehanded entry in the R2AK heading out with just the clothing on his back, intending to forage for food, water, and navigational positioning.

8) A multihuller who launched his trailer off the end of the launch ramp at this morning's minus low tide.

9) A prone (lie ontop) paddleboard "EXTREME SOBRIETY."

There was more, much more.

Good luck to all.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-13-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Oh my. I suppose Stage 1 (to Victoria) will weed them out.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-13-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Boy, all I can say is "what a circus"! Good for Jackie pitching in to help.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I thought a bit about this race -- for a singlehander, I think it is more difficult and hazardous than the SHTP. And as you show, people take it somewhat un-seriously. Like it is Burning Man on the water or some damn thing. Well it is interesting for those of us in the cheap seats.

"Comparatively, the R2AK makes the SHTP look a fleet of school teachers..."

All I can think of is the old saw: "Nothing goes to weather like a seven forty seven." Will we meet at The Tree this year?

Looks to me as though R2AK is two events running parallel.
    One is to the bag of money, and the other one is the "Darwin award"

The start of the R2AK first leg "Proving Ground" (37 miles) from Port Townsend to Victoria got underway yesterday at sunrise in light southwest winds and building ebb.

https://youtu.be/Ov_sw_LOA_M

Shortly after, I hopped the Washington State ferry SALISH for a 30 minute crossing to Whidbey Island. Then a 40 minute drive to Anacortes to visit good friends Gary and Ev.

By 10:30 a.m I was again on the road heading home, 970 miles south on I-5 through traffic in both Seattle and Portland. At dusk I dropped anchor at Yreka, near Mt. Shasta, rather than drive through the night. I was home this morning by 11 a.m., 18 hours for the drive.

Name:  Mt.Shasta.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  5.0 KB

As I pulled into the driveway, my neighbor Justin, a commercial fisherman who lives across the street, was surveying damage to his 15 foot outboard.

"Hey Justine, what happened?" I inquired.

"With all the baitfish in Monterey Bay, a feeding humpback whale accidentally collided with my two salmon lines, towed me around, and broke off all the rigging and gear," Justin replied.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-15-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Is this the next Scamp? Encouraged by Small Craft Advisor magazine, I was able to get a close up of the 15 foot Skate prototype, designed and built by Brandon Davis of Turn Point Design at Port Townsend. The Skate is a smaller version of the Transat Mini.

Here is their prospectus:
    Skate 15

Skate 15, a kit boat designed by Brandon Davis as a collaboration between Turn Point Design, Small Craft Advisor Magazine, and Duckworks Boat Building Supply. Skate is a lightweight, rugged, high-performance plywood boat designed for amateur construction that includes a host of modern features:

• Rotating wing mast (for cost savings Skate uses a Hobie 14 mast)
    • Port and starboard water-ballast tanks w/simple dump valve for tacking
    • High-performance sailplan carrying 200 sq ft upwind, 440 downwind
    • Ultra-light paulownia plywood construction (+/- 350 pounds)
    • Watertight cabin with Lewmar cabin and transom hatches
    • Multiple sealed chambers for flotation or collision
    • Retractable bowsprit (uses old windsurf mast)
    • Twin kickup centerboards and rudders for beachability and performance
    • Boomless and spreaderless rig with Spectra rope shrouds
    • Huge cabin with comfortable cruising accommodations
    • Designed around pedal propulsion

Although the above looks like a good idea, there may be issues. The wide stern is certainly going to be major wetted surface drag that the Hobie 14 rig isn't tall enough to overcome . Rumor is a Hobie 16 rig is next to experiment with. A boomless main might be OK for a high speed multi-hull where the apparent wind remains forward of abeam. But IMO not appropriate for this small of a boat. Stay tuned.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-16-2018 at 04:03 PM.

My first take?!

• Huge cabin with comfortable cruising accommodations

Obviously… A huge cabin on a 15 foot boat is questionable.

I think this boat can be sailed very fast in a wide variety of conditions.

It looks to me that keeping it healed to 15+ degrees in light air will be required to minimize wetted surface.

The advertised weight is similar to a 505, and it has more sail area, so it should have speed potential.

HOWEVER, when rowing or pedaling the boat will be flat in the water, dragging it's tail, so a good skipper will learn to optimize light air sailing, mabie even rig the pedal power to function at a 15+ degree angle of heal.

Somebody did a lot of work to make that little boat happen. I respect that.

My OCD is reacting to the twisted jib sheets, and the dock lines.

What's the little dark-hulled boat nose to nose with her - Sea Sprite?
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-16-2018 at 07:57 PM.