Page 521 of 628 FirstFirst ... 21421471511517518519520521522523524525531571621 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,210 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Port Madison YC held its annual Round the (Bainbridge) Island Race yesterday. 25 mile counter-clockwise circumnavigation in Puget Sound, opposite Seattle. Single and Double-Handed classes including racing rule that animals and pets do not count as crew. Not much wind and strong, adverse tidal currents, especially through Rich Passage. No report of finishers..but if you can't get a 6 meter or R-boat around in time for the BBQ, unlikely there were finishers. Anybody? Here is Kimo Mackey on his beautiful 6 meter SAGA shortly before the start.

Name:  SAGA2.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  Flying Scot.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  100.4 KB

Adult Sailing Classes today at IYC aboard 3 Flying Scots. Chris had 4 enthusiastic ladies who concluded their training by doing "touch and go" landings at the main dock, the perfect conclusion to a fun day on Tomales Bay. The bullet proof, 19' Flying Scots have over a 50 year legacy at IYC, and with their centerboards, have little difficulty negotiating low tide dock approaches, something that takes a bit more creativeness on the bulb keeled 110's.

Milly B has more experience than most in waterless landings of her 110. She'll get her BIG PINK on a beam reach plane with the crew hiked to leeward and slide her boat on its flat topsides on the mud to a perfect landing. I've not perfected this technique, and if you misjudge and stop short, you will likely be wading in mud with the boat's bow line to the dock.

Did I mention there is a special keel groove and hole in the mud that leads to under the hoist? Said Yogi Berra, once witnessing the 3 foot draft 110 boat landings at IYC in zero feet of water, "If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else."

Name:  IYC3.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  75.3 KB

Hardy types, these Tomalians.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-25-2022 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks for this Skip ! Saga is SO beautiful !!!!!

At the IYC, we are children of the mud.

Name:  IYC5.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  200.3 KB

Speaking of shallow draft. We are taught to believe the oceans are limitless. Check out the above and the below explanation from Woods Hole:

"How much of planet Earth is made of water? Very little, actually. Although oceans of water cover about 70 percent of Earth's surface, these oceans are shallow compared to the Earth's radius. The featured illustration shows what would happen if all of the water on or near the surface of the Earth were bunched up into a ball. The radius of this ball would be only about 435 miles, less than half the radius of the Earth's Moon, but slightly larger than Saturn's moon Rhea which, like many moons in our outer Solar System, is mostly water ice. The next smallest ball depicts all of Earth's liquid fresh water, while the tiniest ball shows the volume of all of Earth's fresh-water lakes and rivers. How any of this water came to be on the Earth and whether any significant amount is trapped far beneath Earth's surface remain topics of research."
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-25-2022 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    Thanks for this Skip ! Saga is SO beautiful !!!!!
    Name:  SAGA3.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  5.5 KB

My only comment is that IMO black sails on SAGA do not do her (or YUCCA) light green hull justice.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-25-2022 at 10:23 PM.

SAGA is still for sale. She's on Bainbridge Island and the current asking is $144,250:

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/drea...-1936-6-meter/

Lots of beautiful boat photos. I have some, too. Went to the St Fancy to watch the Rolex Big Boat Series (RBBS in case you like acronyms). Got distracted by "the Classics".

Here is the Hurrica V:

Name:  Hurrica - Copy.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  225.6 KB

Mayan

Name:  Mayan - Copy.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  286.9 KB

Pretty boats under the pretty bridge

Name:  To the Gate - Copy.JPG
Views: 452
Size:  284.0 KB

The Herreshoff Brigadoon, in contrast to the bigger ship

Name:  Brigadoon with passing ship - Copy.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  222.5 KB

and Brigadoon's rigger, Bruce Lindsay

Name:  Bruce Lindsay - Copy.JPG
Views: 508
Size:  193.9 KB

I sure love looking at boats. Keep 'em coming.

I was eavesdropping and heard one fella tell another that only the winning skippers of three of the eight fleets received Rolexes. I said, "Aw, that doesn't sound right." and the fella asked me, "What kind of boat do you have?"

I told him, my boat is a Cal 2-27. He laughed, said "You need a bigger boat." Like that guy in the movie JAWS.
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-25-2022 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    SAGA is still for sale. She's on Bainbridge Island and the current asking is $144,250:
    https://www.offcenterharbor.com/drea...-1936-6-meter/
    There's a fun backstory about SAGA, and her owner, Kimo, a talented naval architect and enthusiastic supporter of sailing. Kimo loves SAGA and keeps her tip top. However, "I need more lines to pull." So he is designing and building an organic (green) International 110. Not only that, but Kimo is buying up older, delapidated 110's and is rebuilding them. With help from friends, Kimo has started a 110 fleet in the Pacific NW, centered around Bainbridge Island. They will be holding the National Championships in 2024, likely at Port Madison YC.

Thanks, Philpott, for the photos of the BBS. If you look closely at the schooner MAYAN, she is sporting her new Ullman gaff fores'l. Gone is the Advance, the Fisherman, overlapping genoa and the forestaysail. Back to the future, the gaff foresail (the rectangular sail between the masts) is what John Alden originally designed for MAYAN in 1928. The old forestaysail boom is now the gaff. Said David Hodges at his loft in Santa Cruz, "my sail design program didn't even have a gaff sail and I had to teach the kids how to do everything by hand."

Said MAYAN's owner, Commodore Vrolyk, "every time we take a sail off MAYAN, she goes faster and the rating is lower because we have less sail area." I think Beau just won his second or third Rolex in the BBS with MAYAN, and she indeed is going faster.

Name:  Crosby Mayan.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  MayanBBS.JPG
Views: 285

PS: If you look closely, you'll see the "gaff vang," actually the sheet for the gaff that goes to the mainmast and down to a winch on deck. Eat your hearts out all you racers with square head mains. Not only that, but Beau and crew have wisely moved the jib sheet winches from out of the crowded cockpit to the top of the house between the masts where they can cross sheet. Roller furling jib? They have that too.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-26-2022 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    There's a fun backstory about SAGA, and her owner, Kimo, a talented naval architect and enthusiastic supporter of sailing. Kimo loves SAGA and keeps her tip top. However, "I need more lines to pull." So he is designing and building an organic (green) International 110. Not only that, but Kimo is buying up older, delapidated 110's and is rebuilding them. With help from friends, Kimo has started a 110 fleet in the Pacific NW, centered around Bainbridge Island. They will be holding the National Championships in 2024, likely at Port Madison YC.

Thanks, Philpott, for the photos of the BBS. If you look closely at the schooner MAYAN, she is sporting her new Ullman gaff fores'l. Gone is the Advance, the Fisherman, overlapping genoa and the forestaysail. Back to the future, the gaff foresail (the rectangular sail between the masts) is what John Alden originally designed for MAYAN in 1928. The old forestaysail boom is now the gaff. Said David Hodges at his loft in Santa Cruz, "my sail design program didn't even have a gaff sail and I had to teach the kids how to do everything by hand."

Said MAYAN's owner, Commodore Vrolyk, "every time we take a sail off MAYAN, she goes faster and the rating is lower because we have less sail area." I think Beau just won his second or third Rolex in the BBS with MAYAN, and she indeed is going faster.

Name:  Crosby Mayan.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  MayanBBS.JPG
Views: 285

PS: If you look closely, you'll see the "gaff vang," actually the sheet for the gaff that goes to the mainmast and down to a winch on deck. Eat your hearts out all you racers with square head mains. Not only that, but Beau and crew have wisely moved the jib sheet winches from out of the crowded cockpit to the top of the house between the masts where they can cross sheet. Roller furling jib? They have that too.
    The rig looks familiar to us. The MAGICians