Page 471 of 629 FirstFirst ... 371421461467468469470471472473474475481521571 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,710 of 6290

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Howard,
    DEL.Text

Wyliecat 30

DSC01907_DxO_6500

DSC01898_DxO_6500

DSC01901_DxO_5500

I think the little arrows mean "insert headsail here" or "go this way."

For those that are interested in my Skeeter dirt boat build project.
    All the big parts are made, now I enter the realm of un-ending detail and 1000 little jobs.
    All the stuff required to be done pryor starting on the deck is complete, including, the mast step, the foot and Hand steering.
    The rear axel has been glued up shaped and 2 coats of epoxy applied. all the metal parts have arrived from the metal fabricator.
    They will be test fitted then disassembled to be painted. The deck and sail controls are next. Then fiber glassing and cosmetic paint.

Name:  IMG_0809.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  114.3 KB
    Last edited by Howard Spruit; 02-04-2022 at 10:04 PM.

The below photo shows an interesting conundrum of the recent 3BF: The boat that was first to pass all the marks was not first to finish! Moore 24 #80, TED'S BOAT (John Hansen and Tony Basso), went clockwise and passed the GGYC finish first. But were a little too far outside, got swept by the finish buoy on the wrong side by the ebb, and had to anchor.

The photo shows TED's BOAT on starboard tack on the outside, and MOTORCYCLE IRENE, who also went clockwise (Crissy, RR, TI), approaching the finish to win first overall and first DH. Congrats to Julia and David for milking the shoreline to victory despite more favorable ebb offshore.

Name:  Motorcycle.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  233.2 KB

Thank you Slackwater for sharing many excellent photos.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-05-2022 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    The below photo shows an interesting conundrum of the recent 3BF: The boat that was first to pass all the marks was not first to finish! Moore 24 #80, TED'S BOAT (John Hansen and Tony Basso), went clockwise and passed the GGYC finish first. But were a little too far outside, got swept by the finish buoy on the wrong side by the ebb, and had to anchor.

The photo shows TED's BOAT on starboard track on the outside, and MOTORCYCLE IRENE, who also went clockwise (Crissy, RR, TI), approaching the finish to win first overall and first DH. Congrats to Julia and David for milking the shoreline to victory despite more favorable ebb offshore.

More TBF images are on
    norcalsail.com +
    pressure-drop.us

Moore 24 #80 at anchor

IMG_6771_DxO_4500

IMG_6789_DxO_5500

Moore 24 #80 finish area

DSC02352_DxO_5500

Moore 24 #80 moving upwind in ebb past the finish line

DSC02301_DxO
    Last edited by slackwater_sf; 02-05-2022 at 01:47 PM.

Name:  Drakes Cove2.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  500.6 KB

A nice photo of Drakes Cove, in Drakes Estero, taken by my cousin Steve today on a hike to the overlook. The original cove went deeper into what is now marshland and a freshwater lagoon. In 1940 the local landowner bulldozed a berm that created the narrow beach in the foreground and a watering hole for his cows. Drake's shore encampment would have been located near the black object on the far right of the photo.

Name:  Drake6.png
Views: 661
Size:  913.9 KB

Francis Drake careened GOLDEN HIND in this cove in June/July of 1579. His ship had been leaking heavily, as well had bottom fouling.

Name:  Drake's Careening.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  59.9 KB

Is this lead sheath found recently in Drakes Cove from GOLDEN HIND? It is not an impossibility. In Drake's time lead sheathing was used to cover leaking planking seams and to discourage entrance of teredos into the hull. Similar lead sheathing has been located in at least one other Pacific Coast wreck, the Manila galleon SAN JUANILLO, on the west coast of Baja from the same decade as Drake's landing.

Name:  Drakelead.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  3.79 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-07-2022 at 09:15 PM.

You thought you were disorganized?

Name:  Lawrence Lab.JPG
Views: 700
Size:  143.1 KB

Photo of a working lab at Berkeley Lawrence Labs..

Ah yes, the look of genius!
    Try it, if it doesn't work, through it in the corner.....

Hiking yesterday at Pt. Ano Nuevo found us in the neighborhood of what is likely the largest elephant seal rookery on the West Coast. Upwards of 2,000 were congregating on the beaches, the males chest bumping with each other to gain stature and the right to their harems.

Name:  anonuevo3.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  162.5 KB

Losers went to "Loser's Beach" to lick their wounds. I estimated this big boy at Losers Beach to be 15 feet and weigh 2 tons

Name:  Ano1.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  3.25 MB

While the boys were sparring, new mothers were taking care of their new born "weaners."

Name:  anonuevo4.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  148.4 KB

Fresh off the press, Jackie's What I Saw, Sailing in the California Delta is available in limited supply. I've already read it and can vouch for a fun read, full of homespun tales.

Now is not the time to dally, and I offer a 2 part Trivia, perhaps the hardest yet, with the prize being a fresh and autographed copy of What I Saw.

Follow closely, here is Part 1: Leo Sampson Goolden's 48 foot, 112 year old, cutter TALLY HO, currently being rebuilt in Port Townsend by Leo and team, has something very significant in common with two ocean racing legends of the 20th century, Dick Carter's RED ROOSTER and Dave Allen's (no relation) iMP. What is the commonality that took place for all three boats in English waters. Hint: it is not the fact I have sailed on all three boats, but the hint does have bearing.

To win Jackie's book, you must also answer Part 2 correctly: What else, when relaunched, will TALLY HO have in common with nearly all the Santa Cruz built ultralights, including Bill Lee's Santa Cruz designs, Carl Schumacher's Express designs built by Alsberg, and George Olson's boats, including the SHTP All Star Olson 30.

No worries, you can guess as many times as you want, and I will tell you if your guess is wrong or right. Good thing HEDGEHOG doesn't get home from work until later...I suspect we might hear from him, hihi.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-10-2022 at 11:26 PM.