Page 474 of 628 FirstFirst ... 374424464470471472473474475476477478484524574 ... LastLast
Results 4,731 to 4,740 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

OK, I'm in/ My WAG is Wed, the 23rd @ 1800hrs. PST
    And I don't believe they will be anchoring a at nite.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    OK, I'm in/ My WAG is Wed, the 23rd @ 1800hrs. PST
    And I don't believe they will be anchoring a at nite.
    OK, all you routers. You have 30 minutes to submit your guess of when ENVOLEE arrives Santa Barbara. So far:

Ants, Tuesday, 3:22 pm.
    Philpott, Tuesday, 7pm.
    sleddog, Wed, 8:33 a.m.
    SKatzman & cat, Wed, 11:33 a.m.
    Howard, Wed, 6 p.m.
    BobJ, Thurs, 5:51 pm

Weather looks to be windy and cold. Big Sur Range may get snow showers Tuesday. My guess is SURPRISE's new cabin heater would be seeing use on ENVOLEE if it were aboard.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-20-2022 at 08:28 PM.

I have no inside information, but I'll guess they decide to save their pomegranates and delay their departure a few hours.

My guess is sundown on Thursday for their arrival in Santa Barbara.

Ahoy gamblers and routers. It appears that BobJ will win the first serving of Macapuno with pomegranates as we have opted to delay our departure until tomorrow. We built plenty of cushion into our original plan, so we do not need to rush out into that mess and beat ourselves and the boat up for a delivery. Now we are looking at the strategy of arriving at Pt Conception with some reasonable conditions, how that looks between Pt. Sur to Pt Conception, and how that looks between SF to Pt. Sur. So, ETD TBD.

Perhaps we can start a 2nd round of this pronostiguessing challenge to answer when should we leave RYC?
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Perhaps we can start a 2nd round of this pronostiguessing challenge to answer when should we leave RYC?
    Much as I would have loved reading about all the kerfuffles inherent in sailing a Figaro in 40 knots, I agree that a new round of pronostiguessing would be fun. It's your contest, Skip.
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-21-2022 at 05:00 PM.

This one was easy. I looked at the NWS site and asked myself if I would start a delivery down the coast in those conditions. Myself said "Nah, I'd wait a bit."

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    This one was easy. I looked at the NWS site and asked myself if I would start a delivery down the coast in those conditions. Myself said "Nah, I'd wait a bit."
    So, does your guess remain?

It depends on whether the contest is reconstituted. Right now I'm winning.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-21-2022 at 03:06 PM.

Good call by Synthia!

I did a race down the Coast in similar conditions, the July, 1992, Aldo Alessio Coastal Cup, 375 miles from St. Francis YC to Long Beach. 11 ULDB 70 foot sleds had an incredible ride surfing 12 foot swells in 30 plus knots. With everyone reporting speeds in excess of 24 knots, it was not a race for the faint of heart or weak of boat.

On the SC-70 MIRAGE we led the fleet past Ano Nuevo in 25-30 knots and before sunset were approaching Pt. Sur in 30-37 knots. A mile astern, the Andrews 70 VICTORIA did an ugly round down and we could hear the sound of breakage as her mast came down. We were down to 10 sleds, until we weren't, when KATHMANDU put her masthead in the water and lost her masthead instruments and halyards.

Just past Sur and shortly after sunset we jibed to port, and things got sporting. The boat was going faster than the waves, and we'd regularly poke the bow, sending a wall of water aft to fill the cockpit. Yiii doggies! Finally, just before dark, we got a 38 knot puff, punched the bow simultaneously, loaded the rig heavily, and MIRAGE went down. With the rudder out of water, we lay there on our side until the spinnaker halyard was run...

From aft of the wheel, I heard the owner's 14 year old daughter Lizzie ask, "Daddy, are we going to die? I haven't been to high school yet."

Shortly after, the boat came upright, we jibed back to starboard, set the chicken chute, and averaged 18 knots through the night to Pt. Conception....that was a race to remember.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-21-2022 at 03:56 PM.

The Tabby rolled over, woke from her nap and licked her paws. I told her the NDBC forecast and she told me to tell Syn, "Meow, no earlier then 1300 Tuesday for departure from RYC".