Page 435 of 628 FirstFirst ... 335385425431432433434435436437438439445485535 ... LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,350 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

I remember as a 6th grader going to the orthodontist during school hours on my bike in Alameda. After the appointment, I’d head over to Alameda Marina and walk the docks looking at boats. More than once I made myself comfortable in the cockpit of one boat or another, biding my time until it was time to head back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Spreader droop is all too common. Just look around any harbor. They probably get away with it due to a certain amount of over engineering. But, there comes a point (and probably at the worst time) when failure is inevitable. I wonder if there’s been a recent increase in insurance claims for mast failures? Read on…
    Walking the docks, a lot can be told by looking upward at spreaders. For example, if a Cal-40 and there are wooden spreaders, the rig is original, 50 odd years old, and not to be trusted. If the spreaders have mildew or moss visible on the undersides, the owner or rigger hasn't given the mast any inspection or maintenance...like driving a car with old tires that have not had their inflation checked. Ditto with droopy spreaders. If the ends of the spreaders aren't taped, wrapped, or leathered, the owner doesn't care much about his sails. Then there are swept spreaders, a common fad to allow bigger, non-overlapping jibs. All good, except if you are cruising offshore and the spreaders are swept back 12 degrees or more, the friction of the shrouds and spreaders make it difficult, almost impossible, to reef downwind as the breeze increases. Not a good safety feature and necessitating coming up into the wind, often with the engine running.

Back in the 1960's, double sets of spreaders were a rarity. Then when double spreaders appeared in the 70's, triple sets of spreaders were thought extreme. Now triple spreaders are common on 40 foot day sailors and cruisers, and 50 footers have quadruple sets. They come with their own terminology and shrouds running from the deck aloft are termed "V1,V2,V3," for vertical shrouds and "D1,D2, D3 etc" for diagonal shrouds running from the spreader tips below to the root of the spreader above.

Something no one likes to hear: "Hey Boss, the S2 got stuck between the V2 and D2 when were were changing to the A3. Would you send up the sail repair kit?"
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-15-2021 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks to Capt. Bob for pointing out this extraordinary rescue by the Royal Naval Lifeboat at Trearddur Bay in Wales. Said the RNLI shore boss, "glad I'm just the tractor driver." Yeh, Boss, but you were almost completely submerged at the wheel of the tractor in the surf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZfUX4f6Bao

Craig checks in from the Los Osos Boatyard and Schooner Club. MiniMagic's rig is standing and she has trial bedsheet sails for patterns while more deck gear is being manufactured:

Name:  MiniMagic1.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  702.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-16-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Jeez, Skip! I should've trimmed off the Irish Pennants draped hither and yon.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    Jeez, Skip! I should've trimmed off the Irish Pennants draped hither and yon.
    No worries MAGIC dreamers! It's a boatyard, not a boatshow. Inquiring minds have asked if you will be minting miniature coins for the mast steps? Hope to visit soon. ~sleddog

I'm wondering if he's going with 3Di Endurance or one of the regular flavors of sails. And are those powered winches?

She's a beauty!

I can vouch the winches do turn, and the sails can be sheeted. As for 3Di, I believe the sailmaker will be a quilting expert down the street... The bedsheet suit of sails is just for trial measurements. Stay cool everyone!

For those interested in the 2021 Singlehanded Transpac, the 11 boat fleet started this morning off the Golden Gate YC in 12-16 knot westerlies and strong ebb tide. The battle for first under the Golden Gate was waged between the J-109 MOUNTAIN and the Express 37 PERPLEXITY, with the Cal-40's NOZOMI and GREEN BUFFALO nipping at their transoms.

Now, 3 hours later, the fleet has split into 3 groups in the southerly wind. The southern most group, Lono Class, is led by BUFFALO, NOZOMI, then SIREN. The middle group, Kane Class, is under spinnaker and going north of the Farallones, and includes MOUNTAIN, the Hobie 33 ALOHA, PERPLEXITY, and NORTHERN STAR.

Also under port pole spinnaker, inshore, is SOBG, looking good. And HULA, of Ku Class is taking the scenic coastal route to Bodega Bay passing Bolinas Lagoon just offshore.

If you want to watch, the tracker page is here: https://www.jibeset.net/gpswatch.php..._1_58311070_NC

Be aware, trackers are individually owned and set to different ping and refresh times and may report minutes, even hours apart.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-19-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Sled, It looks like there’s an annoying low pressures area (with counterclockwise rotation) developing ~125-130 Nm due West. For us armchair sailors, what do you recommend? Which way to go? Is that why the fleet has split?
    Tom P.