Page 302 of 628 FirstFirst ... 202252292298299300301302303304305306312352402 ... LastLast
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Skip, I've been enjoying Dick Carter's autobiography, which includes some mentions and good photos of you from the 1969 Fastnet race - which you guys won aboard his Red Rooster.

For everyone, I highly recommend the book. Carter had some mind-boggling successes, such as winning the Fastnet with Rabbit, the first boat he ever designed - with zero formal design training. He also has some surprising opinions. For example, that a small main and big jib are better for shorthanded crews or cruising, because of the potential danger of a long boom. Tacking with my #1 jib, I would beg to differ!

Years ago before I bought my Martin, I looked at a Carter 30 for sale in Alameda. A little frumpy looking, but I bet it would have been a pretty cool boat.

The book is Dick Carter, Yacht Designer: In the Golden Age of Offshore Racing. Check it out!

Max
    Last edited by Critter; 02-09-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks, Max, for mentioning Dick Carter's new book, In the Golden Age of Offshore Racing." Dick is a remarkably good sailor. I was fortunate to be asked to sail with him in England aboard RED ROOSTER in the '69 Admirals Cup and Fastnet. His daughter Catherine, who sometimes frequents here under the name red roo, had a major part in the writing, editing, and photo restoration of DC's book.

And yes, I can't agree a small main and large overlapping genoa are good for shorthand racing and cruising as Dick might suggest. But those were different times.

Among other things, we can thank Dick Carter for the idea of internal halyards and roller reefing which actually worked.

I will be back in the near future to answer whether Staff Commodore Hedgehog won the Meeting with Andre'. There's what looks like snow covering the beach this morning. We had an intense thunderstorm cell last night about midnight and I think the beach snow is actually hail that has not yet melted. Gotta go build a snowman with the kids.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Here at sea level, where we've had nearly 7" of rain in a week, it's hard to imagine life in the Sierra where there is one heck of a lot of snow. It must be beautiful near Arnold. But wonder how Greg (DAYDREAMER) is doing with snow removal?

Further south from Greg lives Cris (CHAUTAUQUA). Here is a picture Cris took this morning from her backyard near Groveland at 3,200' elevation. Note the bobcat hunting for something to eat.

Name:  Bobcat at Groveland.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  1,001.4 KB

Good thing CHAUTAUQUA is a hardy singlehander with friends in the vicinity. She's been 4 days without power, which caused the well pump to cease. The tree that took out her power also severed the landline. As there is no cellular reception in Whites Gulch, the days began to go from an "adventure" to survival.

Here is CHAUTAUQUA's story in her own words:

Four days without power gave me a new perspective and respect on its value, but when the water stopped running, and then the temperatures made all night wood stove stoking a necessity, life started to get my attention. Add that the land line was on the same pole that the tree took down and that it was the second to the last pole nearest the end of the line that only served my house and I started to change from adventure mode to survival.

Due to the amount of work it took to stay warm I didn’t have much time to worry. I still didn’t know it was my private break, and with ignorance it became a retreat of sorts. My new Fitbit got to clock many steps as I filled the copper wood bin, emptied freezer to coolers outside, melted snow and filtered it for drinking, and found a flush-less way to relieve myself indoors. Many things I just had to let go of, but I have renewed appreciation for good neighbors on both sides. Healthy green trees were falling so regularly across the road I dared not leave. I had worried about the dead trees from the bark beetle infestation but the now more exposed living trees trapped more snow and came down regularly.

Three times neighbors cleared the road of trees and visited briefly. I got the trash out, went once to the post office and charged my iphone and fit bit. At least I could listen to saved podcasts and audible books to get through some of the dark nights. Art and Jan came with water jugs and lemons and hooked me up with a walkie-talkie so we could communicate.

Big rescue here finally Friday as 7 PG&E guys spent most of the day hiking and ATV-ing equipment up to the line. Three different big utility trucks came and went as they worked. I got to talk to them as they came and climbed, heard the camaraderie as they set the young ones up the poles, and then tried to discern what they needed sent up.

The crew was mostly from Chico. They said 25,000 folks were out of power Tuesday in Tuolumne and Calaveras Counties. Until everyone was mostly back with power in my Whites Gulch Neighborhood I had thought that it was not my problem, but Thursday my neighbor Art drove his Kaboda up and found the break in my line, on my property and let me use his Verizon serviced iPhone which got a signal from my deck. My carrier AT&T did not show any bars. Once it was reported, PG&E got to work and a crew was out Thursday night to inspect the line break and determined they would not do it in the dark....but got a different crew out the next morning.

It snowed here this morning again and I swept off the dish and saw I could get internet. Day of weather is not over but it has warmed a bit now and heavy snow buildup is hurtling down the roof as it melts, crashing onto the deck loudly. Never a dull moment.

Well thats my story. How’s the world treating you lately?
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-10-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Name:  Sharks.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  753.2 KB

Captain Bob sent us this photo of Shark's Cove shorebreaK, usually a placid snorkeling Mecca on the NW shore of Oahu, between Haleiwa and Waimea. Swells to 50 feet were breaking a mile offshore causing flooding and washouts as gale force northwesterlies blew the ocean onshore.

An extremely powerful winter storm passing just north of the Hawaiian Islands knocked out power to Bob's family and more than 27,000 in what was termed an "unprecedented weather event rarely if ever seen: the combination of record high onshore waves, coupled with gale force winds" by the DNLR.

Snow fell to 6,200 feet on Maui, lowest ever seen. And a wind gust of 191 mph was recorded on Mauna Kea on the Big Island, a record also. Weather observers today report the wind on Mauna Kea has "tapered off" to gusts of 140.

Six boats were blown ashore at Lahaina, two at Kihei, and one on Molokai.

Name:  sharks3.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  137.1 KB

Here's the summit of Haleakala on Maui.

Name:  Sharks2.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  29.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-12-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Have we lost the ability to post photos? Apparently I have. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Have we lost the ability to post photos? Apparently I have. Anyone else?
    me, too. Who's been playing with this? Rob! Help!

Default Rob is on it!

He says he is nice n warm aboard Tiger Beetle off Friday Harbor with a German diesel hydro heater. Just like the kind Scandinavian truckers use to keep warm by the side of the road.

https://tbeetle.wordpress.com/

He says this is what the software support group at Berkeley Lab used to refer to as an "ID 10 T problem". Get it? Not sure who the ID Ten T is this time, but he will sort it out for us.

Thanks, Rob. When you are done I'll teach you how to post photos inline and send you my Mojave Desert pictures.
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-12-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Default Manage Attachments button is busted

The Manage Attachments button located below the thread page display is busted at the moment. I'm looking into it...

- rob

Soda Lake camp in the Mojave Desert. Not a sailboat in sight.

Name:  Soda Lake Campsite at night.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  294.2 KB

Thanks, Rob! Sweet dreams.
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-12-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Default Pictures are working again

Appears that the picture upload mechanism is working again. Jackie tested it and was able to post the picture of her tent (see above).

NOTE: the interface is different, as VBulletin (the software underpinning the SSS forum) was using a Yahoo picture/attachment interface that does not work under SSL encryption (which the SSS forum now uses as the forum asks folks to authenticate via login & password)... that interface has now been pointed to a Google-supplied interface, and that interface will be different. Might be an improvement, but it is different.

- rob