Page 380 of 628 FirstFirst ... 280330370376377378379380381382383384390430480 ... LastLast
Results 3,791 to 3,800 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

While PJ was yo-yoing up and down CHANGABANG's mast, I attempted a different belay this morning. Many CBC visitors over the years have been introduced to Andre', the Anna's Hummingbird, who hangs out on a his favorite willow branch at the top of Fossil Cliff, overlooking the surfers 90 feet below.

Name:  andre14.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  328.2 KB

I was dismayed on last evening's walk to find some well meaning person, probably Public Works, had chopped off the branches of Andre's favorite and much photographed willow, where he can be found most days, rain or shine....

I've jury rigged many things, masts, boom, steering, but never a mostly dead willow tree on the edge of a cliff. Armed with zip ties and duct tape, and belayed to the fence at cliff's edge, I managed to find most of the chopped branches and, although slightly shortened, overlapped and secured them back in place.

Name:  andre13.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  389.5 KB

Not sure what Andre' was thinking while he watched . But when complete, he buzzed my head, and lit back on his favorite perch. Good bird.

Name:  andre15.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  456.7 KB

Good on you, Skip! Wish we could be there to see the expression on the face of whoever was foolish enough to trim Andre's perch, when he or she discovers the resurrected branch-let.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    Good on you, Skip! Wish we could be there to see the expression on the face of whoever was foolish enough to trim Andre's perch, when he or she discovers the resurrected branch-let.
    Thanks, Magicians. How's the build of your new schooner proceeding? Pics? Best to Fluffy.

Morning, sled dog:
    The construction of our new R/C schooner is making good progress on her building stocks. Hull is planked and awaiting sheathing, the deck framing is being fitted and faired, and the mast steps are both in.
    Name:  View of decking on Mini Magic.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  1.80 MB
    Name:  MAGIC in mid-May port quarter view.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  1.29 MB
    (1/8th scale of a 40' LOD cold-molded schooner)

You asked... ;-)
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Hi Skip -
    I am an amateur entomologist and have looked for those water striders for hours on end while passing through the High - that's amazing that you found them! Can you tell us more about where, when you saw them and what they were up to? Capturing such an insect would be an incredible addition to my collection! A good reason to head back out to the High! And Skip - please do tell more about the Halobates. - rob
    At Rob's request, I am going to relay a bit more about the fascinating, ocean going water strider, the Halobates.

Halobates are "superhydrophobic," meaning they are able to achieve extreme water repellence to increase their skating speed and never have to worry about drowning.

They do this by having a body covered in microscopic hair shaped like hockey sticks that keeps their bodies enveloped in air. In addition, their bodies are covered with a wax coating also serving to increase water repellence.

There's an increasing number of big, fast, expensive maxi mono and multi hulls plying the world's oceans in search of records. But none can hold a torch to Halobates for speed, seaworthiness, with lightning reflexes, extreme acceleration, and the ability to jump multiple body lengths.

Check out this recently published scientific article full of Halobates nuggets. (You can skip the higher math if you wish.) What a fascinating bug whose superhydrophobicity may lead (in our dreams) to faster and non-poisonous bottom paint.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-64563-7
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-16-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Name:  SFBay.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  136.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Name:  SFBay.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  136.5 KB
    It looks muddier up there than it seems when you're ... UpRiver. Until you pull your anchor up. Then you say, "Whoa! Thassa lotta mud."

Sweet! Love schooners.
    I wish I was a better woodworker.
    And I like your trike in the background.(I ride a Gekko.)

Tom

Morning, sled dog:
    The construction of our new R/C schooner is making good progress on her building stocks. Hull is planked and awaiting sheathing, the deck framing is being fitted and faired, and the mast steps are both in.
    (1/8th scale of a 40' LOD cold-molded schooner)

You asked... ;-)
    Craig
    This is GORGEOUS....you know, the Wooden Boat Forum guys and gals would love to know about this!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Morning, sled dog:
    (1/8th scale of a 40' LOD cold-molded schooner) You asked... ;-) Craig
    Name:  Magic2.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  175.5 KB Name:  Magic1.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  439.8 KB