Page 484 of 628 FirstFirst ... 384434474480481482483484485486487488494534584 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,840 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Name:  Recycle3.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  4.21 MB

Predictable. One time owner of boat at Santa Cruz Harbor can't afford slip rental, insurance, or haulout. Moves out of town, or graduates. Owner sells or gives boat to a student or homeless person. Harbor busts them for living aboard without permission. Boat is abandoned, or more often someone tows the boat and anchors for free off Seabright Beach. Minimal anchor gear drags and boat ends up on beach. Boat is towed off by Vessel Assist and returned to Santa Cruz Harbor where it is tied up on delinquency dock. Half a dozen or more of these delinquent boats are sent to the boatyard, hauled, broken up, put in dumpsters, and taken to landfill, engines, masts, and sails included. Harbor is reimbursed by state for cleaning navigable waterway. A slip has now been opened for a newer, higher class of renter. There were 14 boats in this pile-on.

Name:  Recycle1.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  3.71 MB

Name:  Recycle2.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  4.06 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-26-2022 at 12:22 PM.

Aaaaauuuggghhh! That top boat looks uncannily like Dura Mater. How could anyone bear to part with such a beautiful vessel?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Aaaaauuuggghhh! That top boat looks uncannily like Dura Mater. How could anyone bear to part with such a beautiful vessel?
    The name of the boat you cite is WIND ROSE, about a 24 foot day sailor. When towed in off the beach (it had been anchored out for weeks before the anchor rode broke) WIND ROSE looked serviceable. Even the sails looked OK. The boat sat tied up and no one seemed to want her. Until a wanted murder suspect attempted to steal and sail WIND ROSE out of the Harbor in front of the Harbor Patrol.

My guess is it is more financially viable for the Port District to break the boat up, truck it 30 miles to the landfill, and get reimbursed by the state under the "SAVE" (Surrender Abandoned Vessel Exchange) Program than for the Harbor to hold an auction few attend as once a boat changes hands, it must be removed from the Harbor within a certain time limit.

The biggest boat I have seen broken up recently was the 40 foot, aluminum hulled, BODACIOUS.

Name:  Bodacious6.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  179.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-28-2022 at 03:20 PM.

Does anything get recycled?

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Does anything get recycled?
    It doesn't seem like it. Lead has to be worth something...but to get the keel off, or the lead out, seems too much work. The shipbreaker is a contractor with a large front hoe/cab. The aluminum masts are in the pile and they too get put in the dumpster. Fiberglas hulls are not recyclable, nor are the oily sails or stainless steel tanks with fuel residue, or winches, cleats, rope, and deck gear. It all goes away to out-of-sight, out-of-mind rather than have the public, like myself, be climbing around the pile with wrenches and crowbars. Somebody might get hurt. And who would want the stuff any way? Few boats are being built these days. And the ones that are want shiny new gear. It costs me more to drive gear to Blue Pelican in Alameda than I recover..

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    It costs me more to drive gear to Blue Pelican in Alameda than I recover..
    I once figured, (before $5 gas), that if I found three half priced Racor filters at the Pelican, it paid for the roundtrip.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    Attachment 7335

8 coats Deck varnish complete. First color coat applied, 2 more coats Yellow to be applied for cover.
    Boot top stripe color and design being debated.
    when the painting completed FINAL assembly starts next week!!!
    These fast sailers are intriguing.

From what I can find out online, the only organized event is a maybe one at Black Rock Desert in NV. Is that your agenda or are you willing to go without an event.

FYI - the notes on Black Rock said the ground was maybe too soft due to a lack of moisture to compact it.

I guess finding good ground for land sailers is no easier than finding good ice for iceboats.

Ants

There are many dry lakes suitable for dirt boating, not just Black Rock. Ivanpah, and Misfit Flats. Most are in NV and NE CA and racing is held regularly. Smith Creek, sight of the Holy Gale regatta is in Central NV. off Highway 50, and is always well attended and competitive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9MlP3duNFQ

Howard had his HOLOMOKU painted yellow. He decided to change it to Jeff Gordon purple, the color that changes color as the boat passes.. But the paint was not available. So now Howard's boat is being rattlecan painted metallic flecked, cobalt blue.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-27-2022 at 01:00 PM.

The sound of boats being crushed was unbearable, even from across the Channel. In two and a half hours, 10 boats were gone with four remaining. Even the trailers were being smashed into the pile..

Name:  dumpster2.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  4.00 MB

Name:  Dumpster1.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  4.76 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-27-2022 at 02:33 PM.

OK all you backstay flickers, a bowl of Marianne's Macapuno to the first who can answer the following about something currently in CBC's front yard. In the below list, which one does not relate to the other six.

1. Buoy of Death 2) Tack, Back, Gybe, Set. 3) Ano Nuevo weather 4) Sheep in the Meadow 5) White Horses 6) Reinforced Trades. 7) Dogs Running Free