Page 349 of 628 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349350351352353359399449 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,490 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Walrus 1 Russian Navy 0

Walrus sinks Russian Navy boat in the Arctic Ocean

A walrus attacked and sunk a Russian Navy landing boat in the Arctic Ocean last week, with no one hurt in the incident. According to the Russian Ministry of Defense, the female animal was protecting its calves when it targeted the craft carrying researchers to the shore of Cape Geller in the Arctic.

The ministry said: "Serious troubles were avoided thanks to the clear and well-coordinated actions of the Northern Fleet servicemen, who were able to take the boat away from the animals without harming them."

The ministry explained that the boat had "sunk" but confirmed that everyone had reached shore safely.

You go Walrus!
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-24-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Oh, I get it! Mr Hedgehog is down there playing around with his boat and his friends Skip and Synthia. You all are going to race around the mile mark Wednesday night, aren't you? Then you'll drink beer over at the yacht club, then Mr Hedgehog will get up early, follow the crab boats out, avoiding that line of crab pots and the seaweed, and race back up here. Are you eating macapuna ice cream right now as I type????!!! Oh, I'm so jealous! The only question is: Will Mr Hedgehog turn his tiller over to Skip or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Oh, I get it! Mr Hedgehog is down there playing around with his boat and his friends Skip and Synthia. You all are going to race around the mile mark Wednesday night, aren't you? Then you'll drink beer over at the yacht club, then Mr Hedgehog will get up early, follow the crab boats out, avoiding that line of crab pots and the seaweed, and race back up here. Are you eating macapuna ice cream right now as I type????!!! Oh, I'm so jealous! The only question is: Will Mr Hedgehog turn his tiller over to Skip or not?
    If I hadn't of read it here, I wouldn't have believed my eyes. Philpot at an Ole Miss football game holding a confederate flag, zooming around a lake on a speedboat, and sitting pretty in a Mississippi cotton field. Holy Moly. Cal won, right?

Sorry, you don't win the espresso this time. Synthia is cruising in the S.Pacific, sailing Tahiti to Fiji via Bora Bora, Rarotonga, Niue, and Tonga on the Oyster 48 SHINDIG. They had to leave Papeete without the owner, who was banned by officials from re-entering the country. SHINDIG is currently approaching Niue. https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra...isplay/shindig

But you are correct, I will be gamming tomorrow evening with Capt. Hedgehog aboard the HEDGEHOG at Santa Cruz Harbor. Somehow David has scheduled a Southerly Surge to run downwind 65 miles up the Coast, back to SF, leaving Santa Cruz 0400 Thursday morning, How'd he do that?

HEDGEHOG will likely have her AIS on for all of us to watch downwind speeds. I wonder if he has a spare aluminum spinnaker pole aboard? David broke the end fitting of the carbon one he sailed south with when he planted the pole while gybing in 25 knots using (abusing?) Andy Evans technique of leaving the pole to leeward when singlehanded gybing.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-24-2019 at 09:15 PM.

After a pleasant dinner ashore during our two day heatwave, HEDGEHOG departed Santa Cruz enroute Alameda this morning, Thursday, @0400, with a forecast of SE winds, 12-15. Imagine his surprise to find 19 knots on the nose from the WNW just off the Harbor Entrance.

With his outboard prop bouncing out of the water, HEDGEHOG slogged his way past Davenport to get into the Southerly Surge windshift, and is now reaching in TWS 5 knots ...ETA Golden Gate 1730 this evening.

The other boat checking in is Capt. Bob and Mary Jo vacationing from Hawaii on their rental houseboat in Sausalito. Bob says it's "nuking", gusting 35 from the north, and the "homeless boats are barely hanging on."

The dog I'm walking doesn't seem to care much about wind. Just the smells.

Sighted aboard HEDGEHOG is this orange line, a valuable piece of running rigging that can increase off the wind boat speed significantly. 95% of the fleet has probably never heard of it or seen it in use. solosailor knows what it is. Do you?

Name:  watersail.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  407.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-26-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Outgrabber?

An outgrabber makes sense for the location and orientation on the boom - but I've not noticed an increase in speed when using the outgrabber on Beetle, but rather an increase in stability of the spinnaker. So perhaps it's not an outgrabber?

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    After a pleasant dinner ashore during our two day heatwave, HEDGEHOG departed Santa Cruz enroute Alameda this morning, Thursday, @0400, with a forecast of SE winds, 12-15. Imagine his surprise to find 19 knots on the nose from the WNW just off the Harbor Entrance. With his outboard prop bouncing out of the water, HEDGEHOG slogged his way past Davenport to get into the Southerly Surge windshift, and is now reaching in TWS 5 knots ...ETA Golden Gate 1730 this evening.
    1330 Update from HEDGEHOG: David's been burning up the miles northbound with heavy kite. Now abeam Pt. San Pedro, 54 miles from Santa Cruz, averaging 9 knots in 27 knots of wind from the South.

In prep for what lies ahead, David is dropping the spi and winging out the #3. He's gonna be an hour early for slack water before first of flood. That'll make for nice surfing off Mile Rock: wind against tide is always exciting in that vicinity.

Preventer?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Outgrabber?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Preventer?
    I've got it - the orange cordage is the Owner's Line, usually attached to a powerful bungee cord secreted away somewhere in the bowels of the boat. When the owner is instructed to haul back hard on the line, usually during a major wipe-out, during the ensung tussle with the line the crew has time to sort out the problem and get things back under control without bothersome input from the owner... only this doesn't work if you're singlehanding.

As for the name of the orange line, I don't have a clue.

Functionally, I can guess. The orange line would be useful when the boom is outboard of the main sheet track. A preventer will stop an accidental gybe, but offers little adjustment to main sail shape off the wind. If the preventer had a user friendly adjustment, then the orange line would allow the mainsail shape to be adjusted with boom movement up and down.

Ants