Page 444 of 628 FirstFirst ... 344394434440441442443444445446447448454494544 ... LastLast
Results 4,431 to 4,440 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

All Aboard! SIREN and SHARK ON BLUEGRASS about to be headed home tonight at 20 knots.

Name:  Lurline5.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  615.7 KB

The blue stern is TEAM OCEAN SHEROES which 4 women recently rowed 2,084 nm from San Francisco to Hawaii in 35 days (2.4 knots) which TV news described as "harrowing." and "record breaking." I would remind them Capt. Bligh and 18 loyal crew rowed an overloaded launch 3,618 nm from the BOUNTY mutiny to Timor in 47 days, an average of 3.2 knots, in 1789 with no watermaker or internet access.

Name:  Lurline6.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  131.0 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-16-2021 at 10:47 AM.

DENALI 3, a Ker 46 from Michigan, looks like a nice boat, and yesterday led off the start line in her division in the Los Angeles to Honolulu Transpac.

Name:  Denali 3.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  104.1 KB

12 minutes later, without any rigging failure, DENALI 3's carbon mast broke, ending their Transpac before it had barely begun.

Name:  Denali.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  6.2 KB

Not the first mast to break in early Transpac going. The magnificent 83 foot M class WINDWARD broke her mast the first night of the '49 Transpac when a series of cleats all mounted exactly at waist height weakened the wood and caused the 110 foot spar to go over the side. In 1955, the big, blue 63' ORIENT broke her mast approaching Catalina due to operator error on a running backstay.

In the 1997 Transpac on the 70 foot sled MAGNITUDE we lost our new carbon mast 140 miles out and returned to Long Beach under power and using storm sails set from the spinnaker pole. After the mast broke 2 feet below the lower spreaders and went overboard, we had no means of radioing our shore team that we were returning. Fortunately, the lifelines were wire rope and I rigged up my ham radio to the lifelines as an antenna. After warning the crew on deck not to hang onto the lifelines while I was transmitting, the funny thing was the only ham I could arouse was a good old boy in Kentucky. I explained we were not in distress, our mast had broken, and to please call the owner's wife with our ETA. He didn't know what I was talking about, but did as requested. That was the only Hawaii Race of 29 I finished at the Honolulu Airport rather than Diamond Head.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-17-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Name:  Osprey.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  203.7 KB

Pt. Richmond and Brickyard Cove, though in an urban setting, are blessed to have hawks soaring overhead, osprey families making new homes on the waterfront, owls nesting in the hills behind the marina, and occasional sightings of foxes, coyotes, even bobcats.

Unfortunately our wildlife is endangered from an insidious method of poisoning rats and mice with anti-coagulant rodenticides that cause internal bleeding in rats and other rodents, leading to a slow death over several days. Slow moving and dying rats are prime targets of hawks, owls, cats, and other scavengers who will eat the poisoned animal or return with the carcass to feed the kids in the nest.

Name:  owl.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  41.6 KB

This is called "secondary poisoning" and is lethal when the rat poison is ingested. I know this, as my beloved kitty Sequoia died of secondary poisoning. I have also watched (on a web cam) a nest of barn owl youngsters die a slow death inside their owl box alongside the rat carcasses the parents brought in at night. This is no bueno.

AB 1788, a new state law protecting animals from super toxic rat poisons, took effect this past January, 2021.
    But few seem to know, or even care what is in the sealed black rat bait boxes with an entrance and exit passage past the internal "feeding station."

For several weeks I have been attempting to alert the powers that be at Richmond Yacht Club that two rat bait boxes recently placed outside the doorways to D Dock restrooms (and possibly other places on campus) is really not a good idea and there are other more effective and humane methods of dealing with the problem, if there even is one. So far, no joy, in my attempts at communication.

If you are a RYC member and love seeing hawks and other raptors in the skies, I urge you to contact the appropriate person or committee (Grounds?) and ask the question, "why are we poisoning wildlife in our backyard with rat poison when these beautiful birds are the very animals that control rat and mice populations?" Thank you. ~skip allan 831-475-0278 (not a RYC member, but occasional guest.)

https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/ne...21-2020-12-29/
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-20-2021 at 12:20 PM.

For a bowl of Marianne's Old Thyme Vanilla ice cream with organic blueberries and strawberries, what do these two PYEWACKETs have in common? (Must name all commonalities)

Name:  PYE2.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  35.4 KB Name:  Pye3.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  54.4 KB

1) They both have a sparred length of 81 feet.
    2) They both carry all professional crew.
    3) They both can cruise at 14 knots.
    4) They both run their engines 24/7 when underway.
    5) They both are eligible for the Transpac Race Barn Door Trophy for 1st-to-Finish
    6) Neither has a swimming pool nor helipad.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-20-2021 at 07:32 PM.

We'll talk to management about this. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Name:  Osprey.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  203.7 KB

Pt. Richmond and Brickyard Cove, though in an urban setting, are blessed to have hawks soaring overhead, osprey families making new homes on the waterfront, owls nesting in the hills behind the marina, and occasional sightings of foxes, coyotes, even bobcats.

Unfortunately our wildlife is endangered from an insidious method of poisoning rats and mice with anti-coagulant rodenticides that cause internal bleeding in rats and other rodents, leading to a slow death over several days. Slow moving and dying rats are prime targets of hawks, owls, cats, and other scavengers who will eat the poisoned animal or return with the carcass to feed the kids in the nest.

Name:  owl.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  41.6 KB

This is called "secondary poisoning" and is lethal when the rat poison is ingested. I know this, as my beloved kitty Sequoia died of secondary poisoning. I have also watched (on a web cam) a nest of barn owl youngsters die a slow death inside their owl box alongside the rat carcasses the parents brought in at night. This is no bueno.

AB 1788, a new state law protecting animals from super toxic rat poisons, took effect this past January, 2021.
    But few seem to know, or even care what is in the sealed black rat bait boxes with an entrance and exit passage past the internal "feeding station."

For several weeks I have been attempting to alert the powers that be at Richmond Yacht Club that two rat bait boxes recently placed outside the doorways to D Dock restrooms (and possibly other places on campus) is really not a good idea and there are other more effective and humane methods of dealing with the problem, if there even is one. So far, no joy, in my attempts at communication.

If you are a RYC member and love seeing hawks and other raptors in the skies, I urge you to contact the appropriate person or committee (Grounds?) and ask the question, "why are we poisoning wildlife in our backyard with rat poison when these beautiful birds are the very animals that control rat and mice populations?" Thank you. ~skip allan 831-475-0278 (not a RYC member, but occasional guest.)

https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/ne...21-2020-12-29/

For a bowl of Marianne's Old Thyme Vanilla ice cream with organic blueberries and strawberries, what do these two PYEWACKETs have in common? (Must name all commonalities)

1) They both have a sparred length of 81 feet.
    2) They both carry all professional crew.
    3) They both can cruise at 14 knots.
    4) They both run their engines 24/7 when underway.
    5) They both are eligible for the Transpac Race Barn Door Trophy for 1st-to-Finish
    6) Neither has a swimming pool nor helipad.
    I normally do a little snooping around before trying to answer one of Sled's trivia quizzes but I won't this time - I'll guess all of the above.

Pyewacket (the sailboat) conveniently omitted the ISAF categories of the crew but I recognize most as industry pros, and Roy is loaded so I'll go with all pros on board.

As for #5, this is a classic Sleddog answer. It sounds wrong but I'll bet the NOR doesn't specifically exclude powerboats.

What do I win? (Oh, you listed that above.)

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I normally do a little snooping around before trying to answer one of Sled's trivia quizzes but I won't this time - I'll guess all of the above.

Pyewacket (the sailboat) conveniently omitted the ISAF categories of the crew but I recognize most as industry pros, and Roy is loaded so I'll go with all pros on board. As for #5, this is a classic Sleddog answer. It sounds wrong but I'll bet the NOR doesn't specifically exclude powerboats.

What do I win? (Oh, you listed that above.)
    I might as well bring an ice chest full of Marianne's icecream and other treats to SURPRISE! for all the trivia quiz prizes BobJ is owed. Once again, he has hit the nail on the head: All 6 answers above about the PYEWACKET motor yacht and PYEWACKET motor-sailor are True.

PYEWACKET, the motor-sailor, is currently projected to be First-to-Finish tomorrow in the current LA-Hono Transpac Race, and will be awarded the Barn Door Trophy for the fastest elapsed time of 6 days and change despite their need to run their engine 24/7 to power their winches, hoist and trim sails, and keep the keel canted such that the all professional crew do not tip over. And indeed, there is no rule preventing a powerboat from entering and "winning" the Transpac, as PYEWACKET, the turbo-ed Volvo 70, is proving.

As the Barn Door Trophy has been redeeded to allow motor-sailors to win the best elapsed time, another trophy, the MERLIN trophy is now awarded to the fastest boat to use all manual power.

I do not see the sense in the Transpac Yacht Club in allowing such blatant use of fossil fuels to win such an historical and prestigious race in this age of obvious climate change. TPYC should be encouraging leaving a clean wake, not supporting entries that need an engine running all the time to sail to Hawaii. Tell me I'm wrong.

I might as well bring an ice chest full of Marianne's icecream and other treats to SURPRISE! for all the trivia quiz prizes BobJ is owed.
    I'm coming to Capitola Friday. Maybe I can collect Bob's winnings, bring 'em back to RYC?

Eventually.

I'll bring my cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Eventually.
    This, dear reader, is the operative word.

I mostly trust Larry - he used to send me Burger King coupons before Mel asked him to stop. But Philpott? To use the vernacular of the day, "not so much."

I plan to personally collect a sample of my winnings this Fall (if not sooner) on the premises of the CBC.