Page 32 of 629 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132532 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

January 4, 2013

After 55 days, 10 hours, 8 min. since starting the Virtual Vendee Globe at Les'Sables d'Olonnes (2:10 pm PST) my little red boat SLEDCAT has Cape Horn abeam, one mile to the north. The wind is WNW at 25 knots, the seas are 10-15 feet, and viz is 8-10 miles.

Now it is up the Atlantic to the finish, 7020 miles distance. I've become attached to my little boat, adjusting course and sails at odd hours, day and night. At #19,365, SLEDCAT is currrently in the top 4% of the nearly half million virtual boats racing, 99% of whom are French. With a good passage north, I could possibly pick off another couple of thousand racers, including Alex Thompson on HUGO BOSS, who is 4th place in the real Vendee Globe.

Mythical Cape Horn entered my life early. In the second grade we were marched off to the auditorium to see a movie. Lo, it was "50 South to 50 South," the film story of WANDERBIRD, the magnificent German pilot schooner, skippered by Commodore Tompkins father, Warwick Tompkins, Sr. WANDERBIRD was rounding Cape Horn, headed to San Francisco. And there was four year old Commodore playing in the rigging. It looked like the life for me.

Little did I imagine that 30 years later, Commodore and I would become shipmates on many a sailing adventure. I was lucky to learn from one of the best seamen of our generation.

In third grade, Capt. Irving Johnson came to town for one of his lecture series. My father took me, and I got to see the film of Irving Johnson's 1929 voyage round the Horn as crew on the last Cape Horn square rigger, the massive steel bark PEKING.

Irving Johnson as a young man trained for this Cape Horn voyage. His training techniques included climbing telephone poles and standing on his head on top to improve balance. For strength he practiced tearing phone books in half. Johnson wanted to experience the ultimate storm. The PEKING found it off Cape Horn. Johnson's black and white film, taken from the top of the main mast in 100 mph of wind and 80 foot seas, ranks as one of the most spectacular photo epics ever. If you have a chance to see "Around Cape Horn" by Irving Johnson, a film from Mystic Seaport, don't miss it.

In 1969, in Hyeres, France, I had the chance to shake Irving Johnson's hand and briefly tell him what his dedication to the sea meant to me. I had forgotten the massive size and strength of Johnson's hands, and he, unintentionally, nearly crushed my hand in his friendly grip.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-05-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Sled, your latest missive to this thread sent me searching for Irving Johnson and Cape Horn. Youtube came through (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RfuGKXOkB4). I don't know if this is the full Mystic film, but it was great fun to watch. As for your San Diego customs dock inspection, that sounds like an oscillation induced green flash to me.

I love it - rock a 'bye baby . . . wha' - who me?

This Vendee continues to thrill. It reminds me of a Vallejo race, usually won or lost in the Vallejo channel - this race will be won or lost in this final leg. Frequent race leader Francois (MACIF) seems determined to sail into a massive hole, Armel (BP) apparently plans to visit Buenos Aires, and JP Dick (Virbac) has emerged from his own hole and is sailing much faster than the other two, now only 250 miles back.

Okay, maybe trackers aren't so bad after all.

Meantime the IJ has heard Sled's complaint and is reconsidering Stamm's DSQ.

The PEKING was clearly freeboard-challenged. It's good to see the normal life aboard a ship without a bunch of movie-induced drama. Looks hard but kind of fun.

Last edited by BobJ; 01-05-2013 at 07:21 PM.

The boat ~finally~ has a rig. Now, this sail is made from a white polyethylene tarp, double-sided, doublestick carpet tape, white duct tape, and grommets. There's a 5/16 poly/nylon bolt rope around the borders. It ain't anything close to perfect, but it's reasonably close to the dimensions suggested by a sailmaker back east who's made a lot of lugsails for the skerry. Since these pictures were taken in my front yard, I've trimmed 10 inches off the mast. It's pretty bendy. We'll see how it goes, if it's just silly-bendy, I might give it a layer of unidirectional carbon fiber.

1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Wow Alan, the sail looks awesome. Let me know and I'll put in a good word for you at Santa Cruz Sails!
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Wow Alan, the sail looks awesome. Let me know and I'll put in a good word for you at Santa Cruz Sails!
    For a $27 piece of plastic, plus about $15 worth of other bits and bobs, it's pretty cool. Everybody says they don't last like a dacron sail, though. If this works to my satisfaction, then I'll either cough of the moolah for you to make a real one that will have a higher peak, a reef point and be about a 12 inches longer on the foot...or figure out how to sew one myself on the home machine. Broadseaming with roughly horizontal seams, I grok that. Broadseaming with vertical seams? Me has no clue, whatsoever, and there's no luff rounding in this sail.

I think that's a pretty little boat. When do you plan to launch her? And where?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I think that's a pretty little boat. When do you plan to launch her? And where?
    She was launched last January. I let some chick and her dog take it out...

but that was rowing, only. I haven't sailed her yet, but I'm a member on the Wooden Boat forum and we have an elbow-bending session scheduled for the Encinal YC on Feb. 2nd, so she's got to have *some* sort of rig before then!

My friends at Berkeley Marina headquarters went into full-on oil spill response yesterday. It turned out to be just a drill. But how did the OVERSEAS RAYMAR sideswipe the Bay Bridge?

Speaking of oil spills, the circus came to town yesterday. Santa Cruz Harbor parking lot was filled with technical vehicles, a mobile hospital field truck, and people standing around in uniforms and lab coats.

I moseyed into their midst, and asked them what they were selling. Everyone was friendly and informative. Turns out they were there to recapture "Olive," the oiled sea otter.

In 2009 a sea otter washed ashore covered in oil. She was brought in. Cleaned with olive oil and dish soap. Fed, rehabbed, and released back into Monterey Bay with a microchip and locator transmitter implanted.

Nobody knew if "Olive" would survive. Olive not only survived, but thrived. She got her own Facebook page, and became world renown, especially to children.

In September of this year, Olive gave birth to a healthy pup. Mom and pup hang just offshore Capitola, in the kelp, and have been closely monitored. Now, Olive's locator batteries have expired. The large group of scientists at the Harbor yesterday were hoping to recapture Olive and her pup while they slept in the kelp. Then give them both a medical checkup, open Olive up, and put in fresh batteries.

I don't know if success was achieved. But here is Olive's story:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...th-3864297.php
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-09-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Hey Alan,
    You are my new role model for self-sufficiency. Love it. Did Girfriend break in the poop deck?
    Bill