Page 504 of 628 FirstFirst ... 4404454494500501502503504505506507508514554604 ... LastLast
Results 5,031 to 5,040 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    How do you know that, Brad?
    I don't know it; I moused over the picture and it said "Herreshoff Castle.jpg", so I ran with it.

While others raced 110’s, did the LongPac, raced to Hawaii and/or had other great adventures, I spent the last month helping to prep and deliver a big charter yacht from Port Townsend to Juneau. At Juneau, I was persuaded to stay on as Chief Engineer for the 9 day charter around Admiralty Island. They would have gladly kept me aboard for the remainder of the season, but I fled** to home.

Name:  56B37DD2-89AD-48D6-8306-5A3784CDDD07.jpeg
Views: 821
Size:  928.3 KB
    **Fled from overly complicated systems. Even complicated sailboat systems are better.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 08-01-2022 at 06:58 PM.
    Tom P.

I have come to appreciate big powerful motor yachts, and I'll bet they are complicated to run. I can't imagine the cost of the fuel. Well, I can, but I wouldn't want to pay for it. Comfortable to sleep in, though, especially in water as quiet as is apparent in that photo. Good to have you back, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    It looks like Howard (with local knowledge) nailed it without giving away the answer:
    #4 Castle at Seabright Beach, Santa Cruz
    https://www.santacruzwaves.com/2018/...abright-beach/

Skip, Congratulations on planting a Red Herring. Your photo file names have too often been a BIG clue.
    And No, I did not know the answer without a bit of research.
    Congratulations to you and thank you DAZZLER for noticing the plant of a Red Herring which INTERMISSION took hook, line, and sinker. One can no longer win Macapuno with a single-finger mouseover. All sleddog trivia designed partly historical, educational/sailing, safety, and/or singlehanded related. The Herreshoff Castle does exist in Marblehead, but was slowly deteriorating from pilgrimage status to oddity when last visited. If those walls could only speak.

DAZZLER only hinted at the challenges of running in Pacific NW waters day and night for 4 days to get from Port Townsend to Juneau, AK, for a charter reservation. At least one stabilizer was bent in a collision with a log. I wonder if DELPHINUS II carries a spare prop, or two..Most power boats do in those waters.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-02-2022 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Congratulations to you and thank you DAZZLER for noticing the plant of a Red Herring which INTERMISSION took hook, line, and sinker.
    Throw me back, I'm undersized.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    At about 2000 hours on Monday, the Class40 sailing yacht Jeanne Solo Sailor capsized at a position about 14 miles northwest of the Sisargas Islands, west of A Coruña. The sole occupant, 62-year-old French national Laurent Camprubi, told Spanish outlet Efe that the vessel went over in just 15 seconds. He managed to activate his EPIRB, but he was trapped inside the vessel with "30-40 centimeters of air" to breathe in heavy seas.”
    https://maritime-executive.com/artic...capsized-yacht

Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    DAZZLER only hinted at the challenges of running in Pacific NW waters day and night for 4 days to get from Port Townsend to Juneau, AK, for a charter reservation. At least one stabilizer was bent in a collision with a log. I wonder if DELPHINUS II carries a spare prop, or two..Most power boats do in those waters.
    There were unusual circumstances that prompted the decision to run pretty much non-stop in spite of the known hazards. Otherwise, the owner is a prudent mariner who makes it a rule to not run in the dark. As it was we managed to to see and avoid lots of big logs and even large tree stumps, but there were a few very alarming hits in the dark. The running gear on this boat is quite exposed and we carried no spares for any of the underwater appendages. I’m guessing the active stabilizer system will ultimately be removed next winter.

Name:  D701F028-DC15-43C4-BDC7-171AE75A969F.jpeg
Views: 861
Size:  769.2 KB
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    At about 2000 hours on Monday, the Class40 sailing yacht Jeanne Solo Sailor capsized at a position about 14 miles northwest of the Sisargas Islands, west of A Coruña. The sole occupant, 62-year-old French national Laurent Camprubi, told Spanish outlet Efe that the vessel went over in just 15 seconds. He managed to activate his EPIRB, but he was trapped inside the vessel with "30-40 centimeters of air" to breathe in heavy seas.”
    https://maritime-executive.com/artic...capsized-yacht

Thanks. It looks like a new boat (2021): https://www.class40.com/fr/bateaux/1...upe-berkem.htm

It'll be interesting to hear what led to the keel loss: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...47811432253368
    But it should be noted that, even though the boat lost its keel, the skipper survived as the boat floated, illustrating the purpose of reserve buoyancy.
    And the boat is in port now, still upside down:
    Name:  179.png
Views: 606
Size:  892.7 KB
    Last edited by jamottep; 08-03-2022 at 07:02 PM.

Surprised the keel stayed on as long as it did! As is obvious from the missing appendage, this little ship should never have gone to sea. The fellow is lucky he survived and rescue was close at hand. Interesting he had to swim out from under and didn't use his escape hatch in the transom. Or is that for the raft stowage?