Page 241 of 628 FirstFirst ... 141191231237238239240241242243244245251291341 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Recommended reading “At any cost - love, life and death at sea” Peter Tangvalds autobiography. Also, his son was lost at sea fairly recently.

Hmmm. Panoche Valley camping. This sounds interesting.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

New Zealand's recently sailed Mahurangi Regatta is quite the classic yacht gathering! A bit like our own Master Mariners.
    http://classicsailboats.org/mahurang...nuary-27-2018/

Gotta love THELMA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7HQF5x6jjw

Maybe some remember THELMA from her time on SF Bay.
    http://www.classicyachtcharitabletru....htm?boat_id=5
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-02-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Beeeeoootiful! Lovely video and really interesting story, Skip! Tell us you saw her sailing once when you were a young lad? Did anybody here have the chance to sail on her? Imagine seeing that boat sail past on the Sacramento! It would have been like a vision.

Name:  Nigel1.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  222.4 KB
    Nigel the gannet and two concrete friends. (New Zealand Department of Conservation)

Nigel, a handsome gannet bird who lived on a desolate island off the coast of New Zealand, died suddenly this week. Wherever his soul has landed, the singles scene surely cannot be worse.

The bird was lured to Mana Island five years ago by wildlife officials who, in hopes of establishing a gannet colony there, had placed concrete gannet decoys on cliffsides and broadcast the sound of the species’ calls. Nigel accepted the invitation, arriving in 2013 as the island’s first gannet in 40 years. But none of his brethren joined him.

In the absence of a living love interest, Nigel became enamored with one of the 80 faux birds. He built her — it? — a nest. He groomed her “chilly, concrete feathers . . . year after year after year,” the Guardian reported. He died next to her in that unrequited love nest, the vibrant orange-yellow plumage of his head contrasting, as ever, with the weathered, lemony paint of hers.

“Whether or not he was lonely, he certainly never got anything back, and that must have been [a] very strange experience,” conservation ranger Chris Bell, who also lives on the island, told the paper. “I think we all have a lot of empathy for him, because he had this fairly hopeless situation.”

As he persisted in this futile courtship, Nigel accrued something of a fan base. Mana is a scientific reserve that, like other New Zealand islands, has been the focus of replanting and rodent eradication efforts. Friends of Mana Island, one of the groups that has planted trees and shrubs, said on Facebook that Nigel “won the hearts” of members and volunteers who “spent many hours over the years maintaining the concrete colony.”

Name:  Nigel2.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  91.6 KB
    A photo of Nigel’s favorite spot on Mana Island, taken a few days after his death. The birds pictured are concrete gannet decoys. (New Zealand Department of Conservation)

Another gannet spent some time on Mana last year. Unfortunately, it was a he, dubbed Norman.

Perhaps the saddest twist to this tale is that three other gannets settled on Mana last month, after conservation officials tweaked the sound system used to attract them, according to the New Zealand website Stuff. This raised the possibility of breeding. But Nigel paid them no attention.

“This just feels like the wrong ending to the story,” Bell told Stuff. “He died right at the beginning of something great.”

But Nigel — whose nickname was “no mates” — will forever be remembered as the pioneer of the colony and credited with signaling to the new trio that Mana was suitable habitat, Bell said. ~Karin Brulliard, Washington Post

Name:  Nigel3.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  279.2 KB
    A volunteer paints a gannet decoy on Mana , a small island off the southwest coast of New Zealand’s north island. (New Zealand Department of Conservation)
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-03-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Name:  Dexter.jpeg
Views: 1047
Size:  67.4 KB

The recent bizarre fiasco of a New Yorker attempting to board a trans-Continental flight with her "emotional support animal," a large male peacock named Dexter, brings up an interesting question. I have a friend who was a J-24 class champion, who raced with his well behaved German Shepherd as crew. David's sailing success led to the local class banning his dog as un-measured crew weight in a class that is strict about such things...

I've raced Pacific Cups where fellow double-handers aboard EL TIBURON sailed over and back, twice, with their beloved kitty, "Snowball." Snowball was quite at home, and lived comfortably in the sock drawer. The only problem, and it wasn't really a problem for Snowball, was the State of Hawaii is very strict about the importation of pets. They are not allowed ashore under any circumstances without first being quarantined for an inordinate length of time.

If you are thinking of sailing the SHTP with your emotional support rattlesnake, or your aquarium of tropical fish (this actually happened), best to first check with authorities. hihi
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-03-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Race2Alaska not your cup of tea?

Not too late to book a cabin on a new "mega"cruise ship to Alaska...You'll never be lonely, with 4,000 fellow passengers served by 2,100 crew, on board the recently launched NORWEGIAN BLISS. If the Alaskan landscape or marine life is too boring , you can order a drink from a robotic bartender, then go drive on the world's largest go-cart race track. Or take out a little anger shooting laser tag at other passengers or passing R2AK competitors.... http://www.bliss.ncl.com/the_Ship/ra..._and_laser_tag

Name:  Bliss.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  171.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-05-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Well now...
    It seems that the Norwegians do, in-fact, have a sense of humor!
    Last edited by H Spruit; 02-06-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by H Spruit View Post
    Well now...
    It seems that the Norwegians do, in-fact, have a sense of humor!
    I needed a sense of humor at today's Drivers License renewal and testing. Even with an appointment, that didn't help the malfunctioning computer that wouldn't recognize my thumb print and sent me back into an interminable line to retrieve a substitute paper test.

There were 18 questions, and you could only miss 3 to pass. One question I hadn't encountered in the practice tests was whether it is legal to park in front of your own driveway... You'd think it is OK, but I guessed and answered "NO" and that was the right answer. Whew!

Finally I found the sense of humor to which H Spruit alludes: Check out question 17 below:

The primary traveling aids for a blind person include:
    a. a red cane or a trained guide dog
    b. a white cane or a wheelchair
    c. a white cane or a trained guide cat
    d. a white cane or a trained guide dog

How did they know for 7 years I walked my cat daily on her leash?
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-07-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Well, we are in good hands then with Chula...