Page 266 of 628 FirstFirst ... 166216256262263264265266267268269270276316366 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    "Ocean Station November" -
    After a nap, I marveled at my hour worth handiwork with spectra, rigging tape and turning strut. But also with a clearer head, I could now see that all I needed was to pull the boom vang tighter. I had to chuckle!
    The only topic that gets more topic at Tree Time than auto pilot malfunction is sleep deprivation....one competitor came ashore from his Olson-30 with his saddle and spurs...said he had to go ride a rodeo, then do a vision quest up Mt. Wai'aleale. That was the last we saw of him for 3 days until he returned, barely recognizable and covered in mud. He's the same fellow who steered his planing O-30 under spinnaker across the finish, steering with his AP remote from his hammock swinging on the foredeck..

Sometimes I think I've seen it all. Then I remember the SHTPer who came ashore to Tree Time with his lawnmower, explaining he had to earn some money mowing lawns for rich people.

That wasn't the last of it. One competitor showed up with no anchor and wanted to borrow one. It wasn't he didn't have an anchor. Just his anchor (that apparently passed the safety inspection) was a miniature replica of the real thing that was 5" long and weighed 12 oz. I believe he was tossed by the RC.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-28-2018 at 10:13 PM.

The eastern sky is just beginning to lighten for those singlehanders up early and enjoying a cup of coffee.

KYNNTANA continues her scientific research of the Eastern Pacific gyre, having gone from most northerly boat, to most southerly, back to most northerly. And now on a track south again, at much reduced speed of 3 knots, having made acquaintance with the Pacific High during her criss-crossing. I'm guessing her windvane is having difficulty coping with the weather helm induced by most or all of her sail area on one side of the boat?

The fleet has separated into two groups, with RAINBOW bringing up the back of the front, and IRIS the front of the back. Winds should be moderate today for the front runners, 14-16 knots, and lighter behind, 10-14 Knots, except even less for those more north.

PJ on DOUBLE-X should reach the happy nautical mile stone of halfway this afternoon with a nice lead. The skipper of DOUBLE-X, on his first small boat ocean crossing, is nervously looking astern for sails, jadedly considering any speed less than 8 knots as "slow."

Following DOUBLE-X are CRINAN, 11 hours behind. NIGHTMARE and PASSAGES are ~ 12 hours back; RIFF RIDER 14 hours; JOUJOU 21 hours.

JOUJOU is in "cruze" mode, reporting he earlier jibed S too close to high. "Spinnaker + AP + swells = chaos"

As is true in all SHTP, Auto Pilots are coming a cropper. CRINAN is down to his spare, and we hope that gets him downwind for the remainder of the Race.

The tradewinds, with their popcorn clouds and flying fish, lie just ahead and to the south: south of 29N, west of 140W. Then the big moon will make for delightful nighttime sailing.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-19-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Congrats to our friend PJ (Phillipe), first in the SHTP Class of '18 to surf his DOUBLE EXPRESSO over the magical half-way stripe, through the rainbow portal, and enter the second and downhill half of the passage.

We understand DOUBLE EXPRESSO flew by Herbie's Halfway Barge shortly before 4 pm PDT, slowing only briefly to pick up a slice of Hana's delicious coconut and mango cake and a frosty can of root beer.

Said PJ in a brief interview with the Barge crew, "I'm new to this stress of racing .....has anyone come by before me? Look, there's a patch of blue sky. My guess is that's the light patch coming to get me. But the wind just picked up so I'm not sure. I've been sailing mostly DDW, regularly by the lee, to avoid losing miles by going South. The boat rolls quite a bit with the autopilot I'm fed and hydrated. I'm hopeful and will try to do the math to figure out my current position and how much I must gain on who."

Carry on PJ. It's all downwind from here and those Hanalei mermaids will soon have you by a nylon tow rope!

Name:  hanalei3.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  6.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-29-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Very Happy for Phillipe! A refreshing surprise, the boat no, but the skipper, Yes!

Hard to believe there's more than 300 miles of distance between the front and back of the fleet.

After lunch Sunday, there appears to be a good chance for the back surfers to move up to mid fleet since they will be the first to get the 20 plus knots of wind.

I love arm chair racing!

Wheeee! Here's a weathermap/forecast every TransPacific Racer dreams about, but rarely sees.

Name:  ninetysix7.gif
Views: 880
Size:  63.1 KB

This is the 96 hour forecast for next Tuesday, July 3. What it shows is downwind/surfing salivation. Enough wind, 20-25 knots for everyone, north to south, east spreading west across the course beginning late Monday.

Enough wind to blow the fleet speedily all the way to Kauai.

The Pacific High is strong, 1036 millibars, 12 millibars above average and providing a steep gradient. The High is anchored well north, above 40 degrees. And it is perfectly shaped, symmetrical and nicely rounded. The perfect pinwheel.

Wind blows out of a High at 15 degrees from parallel with the isobars (lines of equal pressure).

The steep gradient of this High is sure to erase memories of light winds of the early Southerly Surge. And provide unlimited stories for Tree Time and memories for months/years to come.

Singlehanders, re-check your gear. The Breeze she is a comin'. This is what we live for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLYDq4PEJRM
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-30-2018 at 05:31 AM.

Double Expresso appears to be hove to this morning. Perhaps Philippe is getting some sleep.

18069 - DOUBLE ESPRESSO - Latest Report
    2018-06-30 04:49:00
    29°17'30.84"N 142°56'55.68"W
    78 Degs at 0.34 Kts
    Last: 24 HRS 156.0 NM at 6.5 KTS
    Distance to go: 988 NM

Quote Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
    Double Expresso appears to be hove to this morning. Perhaps Philippe is getting some sleep.

18069 - DOUBLE ESPRESSO - Latest Report
    2018-06-30 04:49:00
    29°17'30.84"N 142°56'55.68"W
    78 Degs at 0.34 Kts
    Last: 24 HRS 156.0 NM at 6.5 KTS
    Distance to go: 988 NM
    The tracker COG and SOG function has been malfunctioning since the start for DE.

Could be the boom but DE's was battle-tested.

Or it could be the half-way party. I took ONE beer for the occasion and it kicked my butt. I got lots of sleep that night.

Edit: 17 knots on the last ping. Must have been the beer.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-30-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Double Espresso is fine, confirmed to the RC via text inquiry. I am sure the 17 knots is catching up the average over a couple cycles.

As has been the case for every SHTP, the majority of the fleet is experiencing auto-pilot/self steering issues. Electricity, salt water, and frequent and rapid tiller movements don't always make a reliable combination.

Except for those on a VHF or SSB sked, much of the fleet has little news of their competitors. Even if it were reliable and consistent, Tracker info not available to sailors.

The Pacific High will be increasing even further. 1037 millibars is strong indeed. Winds beginning to increase tomorrow, building to 15-25 knots tomorrow night through Thursday with 7-11 foot seas. Even the heavier craft in the back half of the fleet will begin to surf. Glad KYNTANNA has a boom brake and strong gooseneck for possible accidental jibes. Just hope the mainsheet doesn't wrap on the binnacle.

I believe one of the better downwind rigs in the fleet is aboard Dave Clark's O-30 PASSAGES: Twin jibs on a common, loose luff. Dave also has hanks, unlike his sister-ship DOUBLE-X and DARK HORSE, who have headfoils that allow the jib to be dropped in the water. PJ on the bow of DOUBLE-X is a fearsome sight: 6'5", 230. He doesn't fit in his pipe berth, but has found rest on the cabin sole.

TIGER BEETLE is already at anchor in Hanalei. Jackie and crew leave early tomorrow for RC duty in Hanalei. Synthia follows Tuesday. They won't have long to wait. Barring unforeseen circumstances, the first-to-finish should arrive late Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Estimated 8,000 marchers in downtown Santa Cruz yesterday. Not enough room on the sidewalks...4 square blocks of downtown was packed...

Name:  No Ice.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  641.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-01-2018 at 09:35 AM.