Page 291 of 628 FirstFirst ... 191241281287288289290291292293294295301341391 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,910 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

The grizzled sailor is on a multi-week voyage "sailing the couch." Like the conscientious singlehander, he's tethered to, in his case with two hoses leading from an ice-water recirculation chest to his new titanium and polyethelene left knee.

Name:  knee2.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  358.9 KB

Damp foulies and seaboots have been replaced by hip high compression socks and the latest in red non-skid hospital footware. His dinghy from the couch to the front door, mail box, galley or head is a donated walker modified with skateboard wheels and tennis balls.

Name:  knee1.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  536.5 KB

The tiller extension might be mistaken for an oak cane with a bronze duckhead. Navigation is strict, by-the-book, with whirlpools and reefs for running afoul of RN's, PT's, PA's, and a dozen or more drugs from pain killers to prune juice to be taken at all hours, day or night.

Name:  knee5.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  365.1 KB

Patience does not come in a pill. He is not to walk outdoors without accompaniment, presumably so if he falls, someone will be able to place orange traffic cones around the body.

Thru all weather, WILDFLOWER's ever seeing eye keeps watch....

Name:  knee3.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  428.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-26-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    The grizzled sailor is on a multi-week voyage "sailing the couch."
    Fair winds and following seas on this voyage, good captain.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Our best as well, Ol' Sleddog.

C&V&C

Several new knees around me and without exception the recipients wish they'd done it sooner. It's a bit of down time which will enable more fun and frivolity down the road.

Do what you're told (hard for a sailor) - do the ice, do the drugs, do the therapy and let me know when you're ready to go sailing.

The Bionic-Bluewater-Bum will rise again (Vicky here) P.S.: BCC Chataqua launched, the ol'SAAB got her safely from Port San Luis up to Morro Bay yesterday!

Look'in good Skip.

Patty

visited Skip and listened to him explain the various and sundry requirements for exiting a hospital, which included the need for quarts of prune juice (eeeeooooo!!!). Fascinated by all the medical equipment and hospital accoutrements that he has never before had much occasion to use, I watched him gleefully parcel out all his pain meds into their own little cups for later use. He showed me every single one of his leg exercises.

He seems to have impressed his physical therapist, who told him that he is way "ahead of schedule" for knee surgery recovery, which only encouraged him to show off by walking down to the corner and back with this attendant ("Ow! Ow! Ow! Let’s not mention this to Annie!").

Synthia arrived with Revoire and dinner. “Hi, Gimpy!”, she greeted him with a hug. Over dessert she asked Skip to tell her all about sailing on Imp during the infamous 1979 Fastnet Race. That was a VERY VERY interesting story! I asked to audiotape it, but Mr Blue Bum shook his head. After that we gobbled up all the ice cream because no one was there to stop us!

When I left Capitola Boat Club Synthia was drinking a cup of tea and Revoire was a happy doggie. SledDoggie was laying prone on the loveseat with his leg up and his little hands reaching for the blueberry scones in their plate on his chest, looking just like a happy little sea otter. That was a fun visit.

Joan has two titanium and delrin hips, and ABSOLUTELY life is better. Hang in there, Skip!

I see you have Ron Hollands book there, for entertainment during your down time...
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Here's to a speedy recovery Sleddog.

Just got our first snow of the season this weekend, 4 inches in the yard.
    Growing up in the mountains, the word "sled" conjured different images for me.
    We had a Toboggan for sliding down hills and driveways in the fresh powder. My friend had a Flexible Flier that was better on the hard packed frozen roads.

My sled today rides a different medium, the ocean, yet surfing fast downwind provides a similar exhilaration!

What a joy and a blessing to have all these experiences
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Hey Sled, belated wishes for a speedy recovery!! Ditto to all who said the bionic knee is going to be better than the old one and you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. At least that's what I hear from others who have had either hip or knee surgery in one or both sides. Just watch those knee-high waves when you're ready to go surfing again