Page 467 of 627 FirstFirst ... 367417457463464465466467468469470471477517567 ... LastLast
Results 4,661 to 4,670 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Maybe I’ll go work on Dura Mater, use up one of the butane cartridges, stay warm there.
    Dave on Pinocchio took pity and loaned me his propane heater. It works great - I think I'll get one. But I'm not going over until tomorrow.

It's looking good for the traditional NYD sail - typical cold and light wind, but sunny. Kelsey did a nice job repairing the sails. She beefed up my amateurish spreader patches, added some cloth along the jib's foot where it was looking doggy, and she determined that the Code 56 looked great and required no work. She did suggest that I not store it rolled on its furler, but instead "have my crew unroll it and flake it for storage." As Jim Kellam used to say, "I'll get a man right on that."

Yeah, but Jackie, YOU sailed down the coast to Santa Barbara and beyond, solo. And in the fog. I've never done that, and at this point, never will.

You is a tough cookie.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Please, PLEASE be careful and have plenty of ventilation in enclosed spaces with propane/butane devices that consume oxygen and produce carbon monoxide (CO). CO is the silent killer.
    Tom P.

Yes, thanks Tom. Surprise! has propane and CO detectors, and I crack open the hatch directly above the heater when it's running. I'm pretty sure Dura Mater has a CO detector. I'm looking at a Webasto diesel heater that would be ducted throughout the cabin. Pinocchio and the two Cal 40s across from Surprise! have these heaters, which have dedicated air intakes and exhausts. I'm envious after the cold weather we've been having.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Yes, thanks Tom. Surprise! has propane and CO detectors, and I crack open the hatch directly above the heater when it's running. I'm pretty sure Dura Mater has a CO detector. I'm looking at a Webasto diesel heater that would be ducted throughout the cabin. Pinocchio and the two Cal 40s across from Surprise! have these heaters, which have dedicated air intakes and exhausts. I'm envious after the cold weather we've been having.
    When I sailed WILDFLOWER up the Inside Passage to Alaska I reckoned I'd appreciate a cabin heater. The sailing magazine cruising gurus said to buy a ceramic garden flower pot, invert it over the propane burner, let it get hot, and Bob's Your Uncle. I got to Glacier Bay, the flower pot did not.....

Tom P. and I double-handed ROXANNE to F2F in the Pac Cup with heated towel racks and a washing machine. The washing machine was handy for stowing extra anchor chain. The towel racks were wonderful for gripping onto after coming off watch the first couple of days, as well as having a warm pillow and socks. If you are going to get the diesel heater, get the towel racks, IMHO.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-31-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Noted.

It's starting to feel like I'm trying to keep up with the Joneses (and the Pressleys, the Quancis, the Walkers...)

You guys are too funny. A washing machine for thee, but not for me. And alas, I don't have a co2 monitor, although I did look it up and found a battery-operated one for $19.95 on Amazon. For now I'll just have to risk it while I type on Dura Mater.

Honestly, though, so many people stop by and rap on the cabin top, I don't think I will worry about it for the time being. Most people know that I offer coffee, tea and chocolate to anyone who stops by. So they do. It would be hard to die on E Dock.

I installed a "cheap chinese diesel heater" (google it) last year before my trip to the TBF. Also installed a CO monitor. I used to use an electric heater when I stayed over in marinas but now I mostly anchor out.

Fantastic investment! I leave it on low overnight and turn it up to HI when I wake up (there is a remote, so this can be done from my bunk).

Eventually, very eventually, I arise and face what is left of the day.

To be honest I am becoming uncomfortable with being so comfortable.

If anyone does decide to go with a diesel heater of any brand I strongly recommend this fellow's series of videos which provide a plethora of info re how well they work, how they operate/maintain and risks associated. Also excellent power/fuel consumption details. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvwmU_CcmGI
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 12-30-2021 at 03:18 PM.

I’ve owned three boats with built-in heating sources:
    - 42’ cruising sailboat with Dickinson Newport Diesel Heater (requires 3” chimney thru deck)
    - 24’ mini-tug with Force 10 Propane Cozy Cabin Heater (requires 1” chimney thru deck)
    - 39’ cruising sailboat with Espar Airtronic D4 diesel forced air furnace (the original German design that has been copied by the Chinese)

Generally speaking, diesel provides a dryer heat source. The propane Force 10 Cozy Cabin heater was totally unacceptable in the Delta in Wintertime. Propane has a very high moisture content and we were plagued with condensation.
    The Dickinson Newport diesel heater is delightful. It’s like having a cheery little fireplace, and I actually had to be concerned about overly drying out the interior woodwork.
    The Espar (along with it’s Webasto cousin and Chinese copies) are probably the easiest to live with. Push the button and set the thermostat and you have heat. Successful installation can be challenging and there are several ways to screw it up. Note that the exhaust is noisy and best routed out the stern if possible.

Happy to elaborate or answer questions.

P.S. And, if you want the towel warmer option, you need to opt for a hydronic system.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 12-30-2021 at 11:21 PM.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I’ve owned three boats with built-in heating sources:
    - 42’ cruising sailboat with Dickinson Newport Diesel Heater (requires 3” chimney thru deck)
    - 24’ mini-tug with Force 10 Propane Cozy Cabin Heater (requires 1” chimney thru deck)
    - 39’ cruising sailboat with Espar Airtronic D4 diesel forced air furnace (the original German design that has been copied by the Chinese)

Generally speaking, diesel provides a dryer heat source. The propane Force 10 Cozy Cabin heater was totally unacceptable in the Delta in Wintertime. Propane has a very high moisture content and we were plagued with condensation.
    The Dickinson Newport diesel heater is delightful. It’s like having a cheery little fireplace, and I actually had to be concerned about overly drying out the interior woodwork.
    The Espar (along with it’s Webasto cousin and Chinese copies) are probably the easiest to live with. Push the button and set the thermostat and you have heat. Successful installation can be challenging and there are several ways to screw it up. Note that the exhaust is noisy and best routed out the stern if possible.

Happy to elaborate or answer questions.

P.S. And, if you want the towel warmer option, you need to opt for a hydronic system.
    Yep, the exhaust sounds like a small rocket motor when the thing is turned up high. I have the outlet located hi on the stern so no issue in the boat but in a marina or crowded anchorage it is going to be a problem. I elected to go without muffler due to the added interior joints in the exhaust hose. The fewer leak opportunities the better imo but it is definitely louder than if muffled.

Agree, there are number of ways to foul the installation up. I found it helpful to thoroughly familiarize myself with how these things work, how they are put together and ops risks. This was useful in avoiding some of the more glaring (and potentially dangerous) mistakes. Sorting the real estate and safe tubing/fuel/power runs amongst all the other (sometimes moving) crap aboard was the biggest issue in a 30 footer. It was not a trivial project.

I did not implement the towel warmer option but I do now have a very effective boot warmer and sock dryer. Hell, I could easily warm a towel too now that I think about it.

I may have to see how it works during the windy reach... Did I actually say that?