Page 468 of 627 FirstFirst ... 368418458464465466467468469470471472478518568 ... LastLast
Results 4,671 to 4,680 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    I may have to see how it works during the windy reach... Did I actually say that?
    This comment did not go unnoticed here at CBC. Speaking from experience, the diesel cabin heater/sock/cap/boot/and pillow warmer turns the Windy Reach into duck soup, especially combined with drinking hot choc and Big Sailor under the dodger chugging SW at 7.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    This comment did not go unnoticed here at CBC. Speaking from experience, the diesel cabin heater/sock/cap/boot/and pillow warmer turns the Windy Reach into duck soup, especially combined with drinking hot choc and Big Sailor under the dodger chugging SW at 7.
    Well then. Food for thought...no pun intended.

1/2/22--
    For those who asked to be updated on the Mini Skeeter project.
    It is upside down on the strong back, stringers (longerons) installed and preparing for bottom and top side paneling.

Name:  IMG_0788.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  942.2 KB

Pasadena had its annual New Years Rose Parade yesterday...Less garish and more to the point, Inverness YC had a parade of 110's circling the parking lot. Even a contingent from Bainbridge Island, WA had driven south to attend and expressed enthusiasm for their new fleet in the Pac NW. The hills of Tomales Bay were emerald green, green being the color theme of the day.

Name:  IYC.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  127.0 KB

Meanwhile at New Years Day coffee club at the Harbor Breakwater, Howard and Rainer continue to feed "their" pigeons. They recognize each bird, except one, who appeared to be a plant and government spy drone with camera running. I don't know what became of the stool pigeon drone except a report "it wasn't pretty."

Name:  Birds Aren't Real.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  186.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-03-2022 at 06:25 PM.

Name:  FA6CCF74-BEEE-4ED9-B923-AB9A707399E4.jpeg
Views: 657
Size:  2.04 MB

Pacific Telephone is obviously a pseudonym for G-men

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    I installed a "cheap chinese diesel heater" (google it) ...

If anyone does decide to go with a diesel heater of any brand I strongly recommend this fellow's series of videos which provide a plethora of info re how well they work, how they operate/maintain and risks associated. Also excellent power/fuel consumption details. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvwmU_CcmGI
    I did Google it. Holy cow - "cheap chinese diesel heaters" has a huge cult following. Its FB User Group has almost 58,000 members! John McK (who did the YouTube videos you linked to) is clearly obsessed with the things. But he's good and has a fun Aussie accent, and I got lulled in. I decided I'd go ahead and watch all four episodes. Then I saw there were actually eight... no, twelve... no, eighteen episodes! I stopped when the content started to repeat.

So I'm selling the boat and investing in cheap chinese diesel heaters. It's a thing!

Add: I mentioned to Connie that I wanted to get a cheap chinese diesel heater for the boat. She said "Why would you want to do that? Why don't you get a good one?" My answer was lengthy and complicated and her eyes glazed over, as often happens when explaining boat stuff...
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-04-2022 at 11:42 AM.

40 years ago this week, Jan 3, 1982, began one of the all time weather events in Central California history. Out of a clear, spring-like sky, a storm quickly moved ashore from the west and heavy rain began to fall. It didn't stop for 3 days, and 22 lives were lost in Santa Cruz County alone.

Ten people were killed at Love Creek and entire families were swept away by a giant mudslide. A little after 11 a.m. Jan. 4, the San Lorenzo River jumped its banks and headed for the County Building. Early the next morning, a crack appeared in the Soquel Avenue bridge, and shortly thereafter the eastbound lane crumbled into the river. Reports of damage and calls for help poured into the county emergency center. By the end of the day, dispatchers had answered 3,500 calls.

Houses tumbled from foundations and slid down muddy slopes. One home fell across Lompico Road, trapping canyon residents. Another, undermined by the Aptos Creek, plunged into the water and shattered against a bridge.

Rain-swollen streams and creeks flooded neighborhoods, carrying heavy logs along with propane tanks, water heaters and the detritus of people’s lives. Just up the street from CBC, 2 mobile home parks were swept away when many logs >24" in diameter jammed the Soquel Creek overpass and the now raging river found a new path to the ocean through Soquel Village, flooding the town to 5 feet of depth..

Name:  Love Creek.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  166.0 KB

The entire Bay Area suffered major impacts from this storm. But Marin County was hit especially hard as was the area around Tomales Bay, where 18" of rain fell in just a few hours.

Whether you lived in the area during this infamous storm or not, I commend to you historian Dewey Livingston's just published account in the Marin County Free Library's newsletter linked below. It helped me understand why the headwaters of Tomales Bay are currently shoal for sailing at anything less than half tide. 4 feet of depth was lost overnight in the vicinity of the Inverness Yacht Club (IYC) as silt and mud oozed into the bay during that January, 1982, epic weather event.

https://medium.com/anne-t-kent-calif...2-621b8193494e

Name:  LoveCreek2.jpeg
Views: 576
Size:  127.3 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-07-2022 at 09:01 PM.

Congrats to PJ getting virtual CHANGABANG past Cape Agulhas, the southern most tip of Africa. Now he is off westward for Cape Horn, which will be infinitely harder, as the the WSSRC has agreed that because CHANGABANG went through Torres Straits that the extra distance to a turning mark off Argentine was not necessary. 3,620 Great Circle nautical miles dead to weather to Cape Horn? Detouring counter-clockwise around the South Atlantic High might be a good look. Downwind mostly, as well as getting in the lee of South America for reduction in wave size.

https://pjsails.com/virtual-attempt/

The first trivia quiz of 2022 is easy. The winner is invited to High Tea on the CBC deck with Port Capt. Howard Spruit and myself any Tues., Thurs., or Sat. at 2 pm. Unlimited number of guesses allowed, but both answers must be correct. One correct does not count.

Two iconic designs of the first half of the 20th century are pictured below. The first, a 15.75' keel sloop, was sighted at the Santa Cruz Harbor hoist without rig. It was originally designed for children to sail, is well mannered, and surprisingly fast. (I've raced one at Cape Cod)

Name:  SHA015.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  SHA16.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  138.9 KB

The second is a family friendly dinghy being raced off Annapolis by my nephew and his daughter. It's design was originally home built of plywood. But as the class evolved, fiberglass became the construction material of choice. Recently, however, wood has come back in favor as being lighter and giving more headroom under the boom without a 6" false bottom, air tank that helps the fiberglass boats float when swamped.. With a light enough crew, this 11 foot centerboard dinghy will plane.

Name:  SHA014 (2).jpg
Views: 402
Size:  466.5 KB

What is the design (class) and/or designer of both these two boats? The famous designer(s) of each may or may not be the same. Hint: one of these small craft was designed in 1914, the other in 1939.

Ready, set, go.

And just for fun, who are the 3 people in the below photo, 2 of whom are Star Class Worlds Champions?

Name:  2Skips&Mary 001.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  1.26 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-14-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Hint;
    I have had tea with the one on the left