Page 561 of 628 FirstFirst ... 61461511551557558559560561562563564565571611 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,610 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

That is serious creative thinking. I saw a big ketch go under a low bridge with a garbage bag of water on a halyard and the crew on the main boom making her heel enough. This looks way more controlable

Boat name: KOHOLA Home Port: Monterey
    Boat Species: Newport 30 (Gary Mull design) .

Name:  KohalaI.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  252.8 KB

As we remember the saga of KOHOLA, pages 518-519 above, she'd washed up on Capitola Main Beach Sept.19, 2022, and was eventually towed off the next day, seemingly undamaged and headed for a new life. Alas, unlike ROSEBUD's rebirth, KOHOLA was abandoned again and now sits tied to the guest dock at Santa Cruz Harbor, stripped of everything of value, and awaiting disposal into the dumpster. Sad. Landfill is becoming the new homeport for used and unloved yachts. Perhaps understandable with the scarcity and rise in slip and dry storage rents, the need for insurance, and the cost of maintenance and bottom paint at (disappearing) boat yards.

Come to Santa Cruz, anchor out and abandon your boat. It will likely end up on the beach, then towed off into the Harbor to be scrapped under the Surrendered and Abandoned Vessel Exchange (SAVE) program.
    Administered by the California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW), grants are awarded annually to qualified local public agencies statewide. Formerly called the Abandoned Watercraft Abatement Fund and the Vessel Turn In Program, enacted in 1998 and 2010 respectively, has provided millions of dollars in grants to successfully remove and dispose of thousands of vessels.

Name:  Kohola2.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  335.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-21-2023 at 01:43 PM.

After months offline, happy to see IYC's anemometer back in time to record a 49 mph gust. Thank you Malcom Fife . https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCAINVER17 Power is out in Milly and Richard's neighborhood, and at IYC SMART SHOES trailer apparently rose bow up in a gust as the aft trailer jack gave way. Thanks to Milly putting things to right, and reporting "no harm, no foul, despite the bottom of the rudder in the dirt." Bolt your socks on.

Here at CBC it's sunny with Force 2 gusting 5. By later today all that will be changing, with snow in local hills forecast in the not to distant future. Maybe not a good time to drive I-5 to/from S.Cal. or even across SF Bay bridges. Reports of a large tree fallen and blocking 3 westbound lanes of Bay Bridge at Yerba Buena tunnel.

Name:  NWS.png
Views: 444
Size:  14.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-21-2023 at 06:14 PM.

What a difference a day makes. Drifting conditions and shirt sleeves at RYC yesterday:

Name:  Snipe 22023.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  1.94 MB

Oh yeah. Little boom tent. Bob's ready to RAID!

I think we are finally past the worst of it- 11mph at the club right now, and our house is no longer being slammed with huge gusts. The power line problem is now isolated to our land, so we will be extremely low priority. Reading by my solar powered Luci light. Only had to cut away one tree across the road, so we're lucky in that department !

Wheee! Here at CBC the baro is still dropping, now at 1009 mb, as an upper level low drops south down the Coast, producing strong to damaging winds in many areas. Fortunately, power is still on. But a good night not to be at sea. At 6:40 pm, Monterey Bay Buoy 46042 registered steady 35 knots, gusting 45, with 18 foot seas...Things will get more festive, with possible thunderstorms. And this is only Day 1 of a week long weather event featuring wind, rain, cold to freezing temps, and snow at low elevations to 1500 feet.

Name:  weather.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  235.0 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-21-2023 at 10:00 PM.

Big Fandango of lights on Sir Francis Drake below our house. Some big crew doing something- undoubtedly related to trees down or PG&E. Power failures becoming routine. It reminds me of living on my boat. I did not have AC there either, but neither did I have all these cool LED battery lights- let alone the little, solar powered Luci light ! Snow on Friday- really ?

Reading by Luci sounds cozy and fun, and I guess it is unless your Macapuno is melting in the freezer. I sure love my own Luci light when I'm aboard Dura Mater. So far we here in Oakland are unaffected by this wind. Tomorrow my friend Andy has agreed to crank me up my mast to replace my spreader boots. He recommends I tie myself to the shrouds while working so I don't smack back and forth and get tangled in the wire. Huh. With this wind? I might reschedule.

Will this be like your trip up the rig at Morro Bay YC? Will there be a webcam we can all watch?

Spreader boots are a good way to trap moisture and corrode your spreader tips. Ask the Schwenkmeister about tape instead.