Page 488 of 628 FirstFirst ... 388438478484485486487488489490491492498538588 ... LastLast
Results 4,871 to 4,880 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

I'm late to this party, but curious how Howards landsailer has fared....
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

The land sailer is ready to sail but the trailer, and tow vehicle, camper unit are not ready.
    I am bussie marrying the boat to the trailer, and putting together the camping package for the minivan I bought last november.
    I also want to sail my catamaran a few times this year so the dirt boat may not get tested until fall, because the desert tends to get a bit warm in the summer

Name:  310 Backyard.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  94.7 KB

The CBC deck has seen a considerable quantity of sea stories, sailing programs, Macapuno with Pomegranate arils, and High Tea with ginger snap dippers. Wildflowers are volunteers refreshed by catching buckets of gray water. Tablecloth by Synbad.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-01-2022 at 09:52 PM.

Nice photo, Skip. Classy tablecloth. I have fond memories of sitting out there in the sunshine eating.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    The CBC deck has seen a considerable quantity of sea stories, sailing programs, Macapuno with Pomegranate arils, and High Tea with ginger snap dippers. Wildflowers are volunteers refreshed by catching buckets of gray water. Tablecloth by Synbad.
    Salt encrustation on a sail is undesirable both for speed and longevity. However with our current drought it is neither politically nor practically correct to hose off sails. This is especially true at Inverness YC, where only fresh water sponge baths of boat and equipment are allowed.

CBC, 82 nautical miles south of IYC, has a similar dilemma: all tap water is from wells. Our aquifer is being overdrafted, and due to agriculture and other uses, a growing population and proximity to Monterey Bay is causing salt water to creep inland into the aquifer. Wells near the coast are being abandoned by the Water District, creating a "Stage 3 Water Shortage Emergency." It is quite a political mess.

This afternoon I rinsed SMART SHOE's main which had gotten salty over the past months. Several gallons of water sprayed onto both sides of the sail drained onto the clover, wildflowers, and other vegetation as it recycled downward.

Name:  310 Backyard 2.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  92.9 KB

The black mainsail is a 2017 North 3Di, supposedly good for two laps of the globe should we choose that option. And it takes a special screwdriver to adjust batten tension. Meanwhile,
    Name:  Pink8.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  69.0 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-03-2022 at 06:44 PM.

Interesting view of two approaches to battens.

It seems 695 shape the full sail, but leaves little room for adjustment, especially since a special screwdriver is needed.

In contrast, the battens on 709 shape the leach, but allow for shape changes if the right sail controls are rigged.

The photo does not give a complete indicator if one or another is preferred.

As for drought impacts, the ‘garden house’ has its own well and a year round stream that nas not gone dry in the twenty years I have owned it.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I have looked up to Kenichi Horie for many years. To me, he showcases some of the best qualities of the single handed sailor: consistent devotion to his craft, independence of thought, fearless initiative, understanding the allure and power of small and simple boats, a true waterman at one with the the ocean environment for his whole life.

Congrats to Kenichi Horie, 83, who has recently completed his solo, 94 day passage, from SF to his homeland of Japan on his 18 foot MERMAID 3 The modest gentleman he is, when asked what he plans next, replied, "to keep sailing until I'm 100."

Here is Kenichi-san's original MERMAID on which he first arrived in SF from Japan 60 years ago and was promptly arrested for having no passport or papers.

Name:  Mermaid.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  117.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-06-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Fortitude personified.

Not for the faint of heart or wallet is Conrad Coleman's 27 minute "Dock Walk Talk" highlighting the state of solo sailing 60' IMOCA class in France. Astonishing would be an understatement. Conrad knows the boats intimately and minces no words, i.e. "a pig upwind..." "a weapon," "goes 23 knots in 12 knots of wind when I was sailing nicely at 13 knots," "being raced by a young man who transited the NW passage with his pet chicken.."

Don't say I didn't warn you...the foilers are so noisy the skippers must wear noise canceling devices or go deaf from the shriek. Most of the fleet have "Oscar" at the masthead watching out while you sleep. If you haven't met Oscar, listen up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXlsKruweBg
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-09-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Name:  Haleiwa.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  886.0 KB

Attention Pac Cuppers: This favorite summer anchorage on the N. Shore of Oahu has been featured before and lies only a 5 hour sail, reach/run, from Kaneohe. In the distance, bearing 250m, 12 miles, is the western most point of Oahu, infamous Ka'ena Pt. Some may remember the days of attempting to drive a rent-a-car around Ka'ena Pt.'s unpaved and prohibited, pot-holed track., often unsuccessfully.

First to name the Bay in the photo receives 2 sets of custom, Sleddog telltales. Thanks to Capt. Bob who took the photo this morning while on his bike.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-09-2022 at 05:56 PM.