Page 348 of 628 FirstFirst ... 248298338344345346347348349350351352358398448 ... LastLast
Results 3,471 to 3,480 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Back to the topic of bears... the last few posts made me think of "The Bear Missed the Train".

WHAT? you say?

Well, once upon a time there was a Yiddish song called "bei mir bist du schoen"

Which adapted to a totally unrelated english version was a monstrous hit for the Andrews Sisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0gICPZ6grA

This song is still recorded, as it's just catchy as all get out. Here it is...I think.... in the original Yiddish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDb2x8QUI_k

But you see, musicians being who they are...that German and Yiddish stuff just didn't roll off American tongues. And so the tune's title, as a joke got metamorphosed into "The Bear Missed the Train"; which has gone on to just have a life of it's own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iUgOLWmQwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7IKG7QrvJg

So. There's your ursine musicology lesson for today.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Hi Ants,
    The upper deck of the CELEBRITY SOLSTICE is real mown grass, presumably for picnics, putting practice, croquet and lawn bowling.
    Name:  Celebrity Solstice.jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  78.9 KB

Reminds me of the SHTP skipper arriving at the Hanalei finish with a lawn mower strapped to his mast. When asked "what's with the lawn mower?," he answered, "gotta make some bucks for my return passage. I reckon there's some lush lawns in these parts that need mowing."

No, this was not the same SHTP skipper who arrived at the Hanalei finish line with his saddle and spurs, the saddle lashed to the back of the O-30 mast below. When asked, "what's with the saddle?," he says, "gonna enter me a rodeo while I'm here."
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-19-2019 at 01:05 PM.

For as long as I can remember marine hardware stores have been taking sailors for suckers and selling faux owls to mount on the yacht to ward off offending birds. 60 years later, West Marine is still selling owls, albeit with heads that spin and bob in the wind, presumably to keep seagulls from landing atop the owl's head, as I have often seen them do.

Birds aren't dumb. Owls don't sit on boats in daylight.

Name:  Coyote5.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  7.9 KB

I saw a new version of let's take sailors for suckers yesterday: a plastic coyote with faux tail moving in the wind wired to the deck of a neighbor's Beneteau 34. Walmart and Home Depot have them for $40 and up. West Marine can't be far behind at twice the price. They already sell inflatable snakes.

Name:  Coyote3.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  685.2 KB

Name:  Coyote2.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  594.0 KB

Where's a sense of humor for marine equipment schlock?

Name:  Coyote.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  75.5 KB

Never cry wolf.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-20-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Unexpected excitement on the CBC AIS screen this afternoon. Here comes HEDGEHOG down the Coast on a speed run/shakedown from SF to Santa Cruz. Intentions unclear: 1) claim his trivia award Marianne's Macapuno ice cream? 2) test the new rudder? 3) test singlehanded spinnaker gybing skills in 25 knots TWS?
    HEDGEHOG's AIS blip was showing 10 knot speed average over several minutes until it wasn't...From my laptop screen it looked like David was gybing onto port for his Santa Cruz final approach when his AIS speed went south.

Apparently several miles north of Davenport, 11 miles from Santa Cruz, David discovered the new rudder works better in the water than in the air. The new carbon pole planted and the end fitting broke. The spinnaker wrapped and was recovered a little wet for wear. The gybe was completed but without anything forward of the mast.

Name:  Banana Split.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  12.1 KB

Before modern designs rendered the mid-20th century sailing term almost obsolete, this was called a "banana split" served in a boat-like dish.

Many recipes for a banana split, often served as a finishing dessert treat under the Golden Gate nearby the South Tower.

Name:  bananasplit3.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  31.5 KB

"Comin' at ya!,"HEDGEHOG, an Olson-29, is now surfing at 12 knots under main alone, 7 miles north of Santa Cruz and 10 miles north of Macapuno. ETA Santa Cruz 6 p.m. this evening.

Never a dull moment for the SSS Staff Commodore.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-23-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Not for the faint of heart, this 30 minute documentary filmed in Marsh Harbor, Abacos, Bahamas, during recent Cat 5 Hurricane Dorian shows why cement buildings were blown down..

Go to 10 minute point if you don't have time to watch full video.

https://www.windy.com/articles/what-....145,162.347,4
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-23-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Hi Ants,
    Well, you got 2 out of 3 right....but no "winner, winner, chicken dinner" for you.
    I'll give everyone a hint, and maybe Marsha can win the quiz for your upcoming visit.
    Ants got #1 and #2 questions right. The upper deck of the CELEBRITY SOLSTICE is real mown grass, presumably for picnics, putting practice, and lawn bowling.
    And Civil Twilight is correct, when the sun is less than 6 degrees below the horizon and only the brightest stars can be seen.
    OK, someone, name all three correct answers. Ants has helped by giving you #1 and #2.
    Since Marsha is not registered on the forum, I hope it is not improper for me to fill in for her.

So, question 3 is not answered correctly, and there are only two options. I recall being at the offshore SUP rental, but have a recollection of thousands of LUCI light, so the remaining answer must be the military ship.

Marsha (via Ants)

Hi Marsha,
    In your first attempt you have answered all 3 quiz questions correctly and win the Marianne's Macapuno icecream with ripe, organic, farmers market peaches during your upcoming stay at Capitola with Ants! Not sure if I will still have ripe tomatoes.

Correct answer to question 3 was "a 225' military vessel armed with 2 x 50 caliber heavy machine guns and a large yellow, heavy lift crane."

This ship's lighting display at anchor was confusing: two red lights, side by side. on top of a mainmast; an all-around white light on top of a shorter foremast on the raised foredeck; and a red light on the starboard forward topside.

Nevertheless, in the dawn's early light, I could recognize color (black) and profile of a Coast Guard Buoy Tender, confirmed by AIS to be the Yerba Buena based ASPEN, probably visiting Monterey Bay to perform its once/year maintenance on local buoys, including Ano Nuevo, Mile Buoy, Moss Land "MLA" buoy, Monterey Harbor approach buoys, and Point Pinos R2 Buoy.

Does anyone know if Cypress Point Buoy still exists? Last time I saw it the buoy was washed on the beach at Pebble Beach Golf Course, a victim of some of the biggest waves in the world that infrequently break at nearby Ghost Trees, just west of Stillwater Cove.

Here's the thing. Military ships, Army, Navy, and Coast Guard, are under no obligation to use any recognizable lighting configurations. And frequently don't. Many military vessels run darkened, or perhaps with one red light. At least a dozen times I've encountered CG cutters blacked out, as well as aircraft carriers and their consorts.

Civilians will not find any written publications on required lighting for military vessels. The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) PART 706—CERTIFICATIONS AND EXEMPTIONS UNDER THE INTERNATIONAL REGULATIONS FOR PREVENTING COLLISIONS AT SEA, exempts just about everything military from COLREGS navigational lighting, even in peace time.

Here's what I think the Buoy Tender ASPEN's anchor lighting was trying to do: the bright twin red horizontal lights at the main mast head were new LED aircraft warning lights. The dim all around white lantern on the foremast was an old style incandescent anchor light, barely visible 2 miles. And the bright red light on the starboard topsides may have been a warning light on their midship crane.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-23-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Ah, yes, the ASPEN... some readers may have had intimate contact with her during the 2017 3BF.
    Here is a photo of the ASPEN dockside, under assault by a swarm of sportboats!

Name:  Picture1.png
Views: 562
Size:  620.7 KB

I encountered ASPEN coming thru the fog under the GG Bridge yesterday just before noon and tacked away so they wouldn't see how worn off my CF #s are and to avoid any possible right-of-way questions. Didn't see any lights and didn't hear a fog horn sounding their arrival back in the Bay. Just a dark shape appearing a few hundred yards ahead off my starboard bow. The South Tower and GG Bridge were booming and beeping quite nicely, thank you.

Cypress was on station last Wednesday and Thursday, as we came and left Stillwater Cove.
    Cutter Aspen was broadcasting her position every 20 or 30 minutes on channel 16, Saturday, as we came home from Pillar Point.