Page 325 of 628 FirstFirst ... 225275315321322323324325326327328329335375425 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,250 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Sled, the My Song accident is not the first time boats got dropped off ships. Did you ever hear about the America's Cup vessel that was dropped by the crane at the Port of Oakland...with someone on it? That must have been quite the ride. Margie's boat, Huanani, after the 2016 SHTP, also got dropped and was a total loss. Not related, but interesting to note is this futuristic ride that could be quite fun, but maybe a little freaky to watch its "landing" in the middle of the bay (hmmm, does a ground effect plane have "rights" on a racing sailboat?).

https://www.maritime-executive.com/e...-possibilities

It says, cancellation of almost $1 billion federal funding of high speed rail opens the door to discussion on alternate technologies capable of providing high-speed passenger transportation along the San Diego – Los Angeles – San Francisco link. Given that these major metropolitan areas are also coastal cities provides opportunity to evaluate the potential for high-speed ground effect transportation vehicles to connect between the port terminals of the three cities, traveling a few feet above seawater and consuming a tiny fraction of the fuel of commuter aircraft and commercial jet aircraft such as the Boeing 737 and the Airbus A320.

Ground effect planes could operate to and from the the seaplane terminal at San Francisco Airport and pass between the spans and under the decks of the Golden Gate Bridge and west side of the San Francisco – Oakland Bridge. There may be suitable alternative coastal locations for a terminal between Treasure Island, Oakland and Richmond. Upon departure from San Francisco, ground effect vehicles could accelerate westbound beginning in San Francisco Bay and lifting above water between Alcatraz and Golden Gate Bridge. Arriving planes would touch down to water after having passed below Golden Gate Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Not related, but interesting to note is this futuristic ride that could be quite fun, but maybe a little freaky to watch its "landing" in the middle of the bay (hmmm, does a ground effect plane have "rights" on a racing sailboat?).
    https://www.maritime-executive.com/e...-possibilities
    Upon departure from San Francisco, ground effect vehicles could accelerate westbound beginning in San Francisco Bay and lifting above water between Alcatraz and Golden Gate Bridge. Arriving planes would touch down to water after having passed below Golden Gate Bridge.
    Wheeee! Ground effect planes are classified as marine vehicles....I've ridden on commercial hovercraft between Southampton and Cowes, Isle of Wight, and their pilots have to hold a captain's license and obey Rules of the Road..
    Can't wait to see one of these incoming 100 passenger Ground Effect puppies pass under the Golden Gate Bridge at 180 knots and land near TI on a busy weekend..

Name:  Ground Effect.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  58.8 KB

I note in the discussion of Ground Effect "vessels" that a racing sailboat is termed "an errant small recreational watercraft." I've been called a lot of things. But "errant" is a first. Merrimam/Webster defines "errant" as "behaving wrongly."

"That Sleddog is errant again. Bad Dog."

Speaking of excitement in the Mustard Mayonnaise Regatta, this little incident just ahead of the schooner MAYAN caught my eye in the 2016 MM. The bowsprit of 82' schooner SEAWARD passed on the wrong side of the L/36 PAPOOSE's backstay with predictable results. Both the bowsprit of the errant SEAWARD and the mast of PAPOOSE went by the board. Not the first time an L/36 has been dismasted by a schooner in the Mustard Mayonnaise.

Here's a real time photo animation of the rumble. http://l-36.com/crash.php

PS: HUANANI wasn't dropped by Matson. The trailer hitch came upwards off the tug's towing ball and Margie's boat, on its trailer, rolled backwards down MOKIHANA's Roll On Ramp at increasing speed until fetching up on a guard rail, causing the boat to come off the trailer.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-28-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    If anyone is singlehanded and hungry, the chicken dinner from post 3213 is still available.
    Having over-eaten on vacation I'm not hungry, but I like to close the loop on things.

The "Emblems of Excellence" ad campaign was selling ethyl gasoline:

Name:  Emblems of Excellence.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  28.5 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-28-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Having over-eaten on vacation I'm not hungry, but I like to close the loop on things.
    The "Emblems of Excellence" ad campaign was selling ethyl gasoline:
    Name:  Emblems of Excellence.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  28.5 KB
    Good one, Robert! I guess the chicken dinner is gonna have to go into the freezer for the moment.

Name:  StarEmblem.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  3.23 MB

As a kid growing up east of LA, I well remember hot, smoggy September days when the mountains 5 miles away were invisible, our eyes stung, and we were held inside from schoolyard PE. Lead in gasoline and paint wasn't formally recognized as a significant heath hazard until 1976, and banned completely in 1986.

Sailing TransAtlantic is not a trivial ocean passage. But transporting a yacht by ship is not always fail safe either, especially when the yacht in question is a superyacht bound from the Caribbean to the Med.
    Apparently the seaworthiness of the 130', all carbon fiber, Baltic built, MY SONG was in question and the owner said, "let's eliminate worry and send it on a ship to Italy."
    Name:  My Song4.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  30.0 KB

Cradle failure in Force 8.

Good, David! You got them all correct, two days after Tom P (CLOUD) also answered correctly. Congrats to you both.... Good to see you yesterday at CBC. I enjoyed our visit.

If anyone is singlehanded and hungry, the chicken dinner from post 3213 is still available. The correct answer is not Goodyear tires.
    I'll take a stab at it.
    Not finding the actual ad online, I deduce by viewing ads of the different items, that Ethyl Gasoline has the most similar copy.
    The phrase "Emblems of Excellence" is used in other Ethyl ads.
    Therefore my guess is for Ethyl.

Oops, looks like I'm a little late! DOH!

Good on ya Bob!
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 05-28-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: DOH!

"That Sleddog is errant again. Bad Dog." I smell a fire hydrant title for your [heavily edited] Book by Skip. A chapter, anyway. As we have learned from history, there are often several versions of events.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-28-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Good Grief, Ladies and Gentlemen,

The press is yahooing about the Coastal Race record from Monterey to Santa Barbara being bested this morning by what, in my opinion, is a motor/sailor using an engine to cant the keel to varying windspeeds and wind angles..please tell me I'm wrong.

But the real story, so far unmentioned, is the outstanding run of the Moore 24 SNAFU, Karl Robrock and crew, who averaged 9 knots for 200 miles and beat, boat for boat, 2 Express-27's, 2 Cal-40's, and Olson 40, a Farr 40, and a J-105.
    Not totally unexpected for this well sailed little boat. But nevertheless, BIG CONGRATS! And did I mention SNAFU also won the Coastal Race overall on corrected time?

Come-on sailing press. Lets report some real news. And if you want to step aboard and find out how SNAFU's crew did it, go here for a short lesson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLYDq4PEJRM They weren't running no stinkin' engine.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-28-2019 at 02:41 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLYDq4PEJRM They weren't running no stinkin' engine.
    And that video explains why I have fond memories of the Moore 24.
    In my mind the M24s are the best production boats to come out of Santa Cruz!
    And I agree using a motor to trim the boat, in a sailboat race, is WRONG!
    Last edited by Howard Spruit; 05-28-2019 at 09:18 PM.

I will pose this as a question. The Santa Cruz folks will find it an easy answer. But, I am curious about who initiated the design and build.

What was the boat? It was 28 feet long and came out at the same time as the Express 27. The boat used the same mast as the express 27. However, many of the features of the current sport boats was part of this design - lifting daggerboard and open transom. It was built by C & B with a wooden multi-chine hull and had a molded fiberglass deck and cockpit. One boat was completed and sailed. A second one never quite made it out of the molds?

I guess an incentive to answer the question may be appropriate - a tour of the informal Bodfish Boatworks! No travel expenses are included, but hospitality come with the tour.

Ants