Page 437 of 628 FirstFirst ... 337387427433434435436437438439440441447487537 ... LastLast
Results 4,361 to 4,370 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Excellent SHTP news is, except for RAINBOW, HULA, and SEA WISDOM, the fleet has negotiated the pesky low pressure, emerged on its western flank, and entered the NNW synoptic wind of Windy Lane, next stop Hanalei Bay.

And there goes Hobie 33 ALOHA, doing what she does best, planing off the wind. Aloha, ALOHA. Catch her if you can.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-21-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Default Barlovento

BARLOVENTO (not to be confused with the Rhodes ketch BARLOVENTO II) abandoned off Crescent City, CA.

From WOODEN BOAT:

Design Specs

LOA: 64′ 5″
    Beam: 15′ 6″
    LWL: 50′ 0″
    Draft: 9′ 6″

Design or Class: Keel schooner

Home Port:
    Poulsbo, WA

Designer: Cox & Stevens

Rig: Schooner

Gross Displacement: 38

Sail Area: 2565

Number of Engines: 1

Engine Model: Perkins

Total Engine Horsepower: 145

Fuel Type: Diesel

Builder Name: F.F. Pendleton

Location Built: Wiscasset ME

Year Built: 1932

BARLOVENTO has a Facebook page that indicates the boat was bought by some Germans in 2018. They did a lot of work to the boat including a haulout at Port Townsend. The boat was re-launched only 6 days ago on 15 June.
    https://www.facebook.com/barloventoschooner/
    Last edited by Dazzler; 06-21-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Excellent SHTP news is, except for RAINBOW, HULA, and SEA WISDOM, the fleet has negotiated the pesky low pressure, emerged on its western flank, and entered the NNW synoptic wind of Windy Lane, next stop Hanalei Bay.
    Not quite so fast, Sleddog. Over the next 3 days, the EPAC Pacific High is forecast to weaken from 1029mb to 1025mb. As well, it will be nudged east by a slow moving cold front to its west. The result is the prevailing northerlies will soften and the race is now to get south, to 26 degrees, where the tradewinds lie.

The two race leaders, ALOHA and MOUNTAIN, are closest to HAWAII, with BUFFALO not far behind. But may be uncertain of what lies ahead in 2-3 days. NNE breeze 10 knots and less.

Farther east, NOZOMI and SIREN are sailing within sight of each other. And though 25 miles further from Hawaii than MOUNTAIN and ALOHA, may have a more advantageous, "outside" slotcar lane in the days to come...

Here's the 96 hour prog for Saturday morning. The closer the isobars, the steeper the gradient, the stronger the High = the more the wind. Generally, the best wind near the High on its southern side is along the 1020 isobar.

Forecasting beyond 96 hours begins to lose accuracy, especially around high pressures, whose perimeters can be like jello and change overnight. Thus the 1015 mb Low and accompanying front west of the High is squeezing the high into a N/S ridge.
    Name:  SHTP4.gif
Views: 474
Size:  36.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-22-2021 at 01:10 PM.

I've been asked by fans of SHARK ON BLUEGRASS, an Olson 25 and the smallest but theoretically not the slowest boat in the 2021 fleet, "how many hours do the different boats owe SOB on corrected time?"
    The rated course length is 2120 miles, though most boats will sail 100-200 miles more.
    SOB started 3rd Class and is owed an additional 10 minutes by Kane Class boats, and 5 minutes by Lono Class.

I pulled out my trusty slide rule, and here, unofficially, is what each boat owes SOB rounded to the nearest hour with the starting differences taken into account.

ALOHA= 53 hours; MOUNTAIN and NORTHERN STAR = 50 hours; BUFFALO, NOZOMI, and SIREN=27 hours; SEA WISDOM=20 hours; and SOB owes HULA 14 hours.

If you don't like these numbers, as Scoop Nisker used to tell us, "go out and make some of your own." And remember, as my good friend Skeeter would always remind, "don't let Bruce put the nibble on ya."[

ATTACH=CONFIG]6556[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-22-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks, Skip!

It is great to have Skip to answer questions.

The Jibeset race tracker has a link that says 'show wing'. Actually, it means show wind and provides an overlay of the current windy predicted conditions and windy forecast. For a quick view, it show what the direction of the wind is for each boat ( more or less).

Skip's weather briefing and long term history suggests following the 1025 millibar line (there was a strong suggestion to calibrate your reliable scientific barometer).

The question - even though the windy site shows wind speed and direction, I don't know of any portion of the windy program that gives millibar information.

Should we use the windy information for simplified understanding, or is there anything useful to make sailing decisions from windy site?

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    It is great to have Skip to answer questions.
    Skip's weather briefing and long term history suggests following the 1025 millibar line (there was a strong suggestion to calibrate your reliable scientific barometer).
    The question - even though the windy site shows wind speed and direction, I don't know of any portion of the windy program that gives millibar information.
    Should we use the windy information for simplified understanding, or is there anything useful to make sailing decisions from windy site?
    Ants
    Ants,

Excellent questions. I did say the center of the current EPAC High will likely deflate in pressure to 1025 mb. The old saw from races past is to follow the 1020 isobar and curve around the bottom of the EPAC High. That is only partially true, and depends on the strength and position of the EPAC High and the quality and accuracy of your ship's barometer. The stronger the High, and the further north it lies, determines how straight for the finish you can sail.

There are many sites that give surface pressure progs. Windy has them, lower right, where you can choose "show isolines of pressure." Perhaps even easier, and adjustable to dates in the future, are the
    PredictWind maps. These are free also and you chose "isobar maps" on the left side.

Other sites I favor are FNMOC, the U.S Navy forecast office in Monterey has pressure maps. As well, PassageWeather.com has pressure map forecasts out 10 days.

Lastly, the old standby, classic Weatherfax maps are easy to read, show fronts and movements of highs, lows, tropicals, fog, and ship reports, etc. I would receive these 2-3 x/day over WILDFLOWER's ham radio and could have printed them if I had a printer. These maps are made by the National Weather Service, Ocean Prediction Center, here: https://ocean.weather.gov/Pac_tab.php. And are available out to 96 hours.

Now if you want to run a routing program using GRIB files like Expedition or PredictWind use, that is going to cost $, $$, or $$$ depending. Maybe PJ will drop by and tell us what routing software he runs on CaB.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-22-2021 at 10:12 PM.

Some changes overnight in the corrected time leaders (unofficial, and just my opinion, as always.) #1 ALOHA is being well sailed, and running away with the race. #2 GREEN BUFFALO is being well sailed, and sailing a shorter route than #3 which is a tie between NOZOMI and SIREN, sailing boat-for-boat, with NOZOMI just slightly faster.

SHARK and HULA remain in contention, but have to watch to not fall off the train in lighter conditions ahead.

Based on the tracker and wind model overlay, Aloha’s jibes don’t make sense to me. So I assume the actual wind angles are significantly different from the model. Is that how others see it too, or am I missing something (used to that).

I think it's more like Aloha's tracker doesn't always send out accurate positions.