Page 514 of 628 FirstFirst ... 14414464504510511512513514515516517518524564614 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,140 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Had an interesting encounter at the start of the Hog Island Race last Sunday. We had a well timed start at the starboard end. Everything went well except with 10 seconds a larger Raven (24') swooped down on our little Day Sailor, barging from the wrong side of the line, oblivious to our hails. Basically, out of control.

At the start, the port side of the Raven was bumping along our starboard side, and his luffing main boom hit me in the head. I'd role played this situation before, and being pissed with adrenaline running from the boom encounter, I grabbed his leeward shrouds and rail and gave him a big push backwards, sending us forward away from the fray.

If there is any rule that deals with this hull pushing and head banging situation, I am not aware. Here is a photo of the Raven rudder. I'm guessing it was designed by Alexander Calder in the early 50's? Calder was a revolutionary sculptor who developed mobiles as an art form. How he got into Raven rudders I do not know.

Name:  Raven Rudder.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  3.50 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-09-2022 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    I grabbed his leeward shrouds and rail and gave him a big push backwards, sending us forward away from the fray.If there is any rule that deals with this hull pushing and head banging situation, I am not aware.
    Typical Tomales Bay calamitous chaos. That sounds like a lot of fun. Just seeing the water in the background of this photo makes me long to be there.

I am very happy that the 110 fleet had it's own start in the Hog this year- for this very reason. I hope you were not damaged Skip and, BTW everyone, he and Skip Shapiro won overall in the Daysailer.
    Yes, I think rudder by Alexander Calder !

The father of one of our SSS Forum's posters was navigator for the most audacious, well planned, and successful voyage of exploration ever undertaken. From Magellan to Drake, to Slocum and Stan Honey, this voyage and its navigator is their peer. There was no GPS, the charts could be many miles off, communication was tenuous, and where the voyage would end, if ever, was uncertain.

For a bowl of Macapuno, what voyage of exploration is this? Here is your hint: a primary celestial object, one of the brightest stars in the sky, was the primary guide to navigating the voyage. No, not our sun, Sirius, nor Hokeule'a. You will be closer thinking of the keel of ARGO, the mythical ship of Jason and the Argonauts in search of the Golden Fleece.

Ready, Set, Go!
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-10-2022 at 07:01 PM.

At the start, the port side of the Raven was bumping along our starboard side, and his luffing main boom hit me in the head. I'd role played this situation before, and being pissed with adrenaline running from the boom encounter, I grabbed his leeward shrouds and rail and gave him a big push backwards, sending us forward away from the fray.

If there is any rule that deals with this hull pushing and head banging situation, I am not aware.
    One of the exceptions to Rule 42:

Name:  132EB1A4-B518-4A3E-AC2F-E853F18F7B4F.jpeg
Views: 445
Size:  255.8 KB

But the basic rule 42 specs only wind & water to propel so …

Quote Originally Posted by todd22123 View Post
    One of the exceptions to Rule 42:
    Name:  132EB1A4-B518-4A3E-AC2F-E853F18F7B4F.jpeg
Views: 445
Size:  255.8 KB
    But the basic rule 42 specs only wind & water to propel so …
    Thank you for this, Todd. Pushing off is allowed to get clear. Just watch your fingers!

The father of one of our SSS Forum's posters was navigator for the most audacious, well planned, and successful voyage ever undertaken. From Magellan to Drake, to Slocum and Stan Honey, this voyage and its navigator is their peer. There was no GPS, the charts could be many miles off, communication was tenuous, and where the voyage would end, if ever, was uncertain.

For a bowl of Macapuno, what voyage is this? Here is your hint: a primary celestial object, one of the brightest stars in the sky, was the primary guide to navigating the voyage. No, not our sun, Sirius, nor Hokeule'a. You will be closer thinking of the keel of ARGO, the mythical ship of Jason and the Argonauts in search of the Golden Fleece.

Ready, Set, Go!
    The Transglobe Expedition circumnavigated the globe (vertically - whose reference) from September 1979 through completion in 1982 as described in a book (To The Ends of The Earth) by Sir Ranulph Fiennes. The route included Sahara crossing, ocean crossing, Antarctic crossing, heading up the Yukon, and waiting on melting Arctic ice floes and wondering whether the retrieval craft will arrive before the floe is no longer viable. There were navigators at various stages of the expedition, so I can not provide the exact name at this time.

Cheers,
    Ants

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    I am very happy that the 110 fleet had it's own start in the Hog this year- for this very reason. I hope you were not damaged Skip and, BTW everyone, he and Skip Shapiro won overall in the Daysailer.
    Yes, I think rudder by Alexander Calder !
    Thanks for the heads-up, MillyB. The Sleddog can be reticent to toot his well-earned horn. Congrats to the two Skips!

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    The Transglobe Expedition circumnavigated the globe (vertically - whose reference) from September 1979 through completion in 1982 as described in a book (To The Ends of The Earth) by Sir Ranulph Fiennes. The route included Sahara crossing, ocean crossing, Antarctic crossing, heading up the Yukon, and waiting on melting Arctic ice floes and wondering whether the retrieval craft will arrive before the floe is no longer viable. There were navigators at various stages of the expedition, so I can not provide the exact name at this time. Cheers, Ants
    Hi Ants, The Transglobe Expedition certainly qualifies as Epic. However, it is not the voyage of exploration to which I refer. Please feel free to try again.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-10-2022 at 06:31 PM.

There seems to be some contention about using Hog Island as a mark in the Hog Island Race. Imagine successfully navigating close in and through these astral rounding marks with their 220 moon obstructions, including 80 near Jupiter. Never mind Venus spins backwards. https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap220911.html
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-11-2022 at 06:14 AM.