Page 255 of 628 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265305355 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Good news is hard to come by in gridlocked traffic on a local freeway. On my way home from the dentist, traffic in both directions, including on and off-ramps, was stopped in both directions on Highway 1. No one moved for more than 30 minutes.

Name:  Bay Ave..jpg
Views: 768
Size:  29.8 KB

Stranger yet, police cars were driving by in both directions on the shoulders, but without sirens or any great haste. The only news available on the local radio station was "hazardous situation."

I'm sure a lot of people were inconvenienced by the 12 mile traffic jam.

The good news is people were out of their cars talking with each other, kids were skateboarding, and leashed dogs were being walked. The other good news is the apparently distressed person on the freeway overpass was successfully talked down.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-30-2018 at 04:19 PM.

From this morning's Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER — The Transportation Safety Board has called for more training on fatigue in the marine industry after finding a crew member fell asleep and missed a planned course change before a tug boat ran aground off British Columbia’s coast.

About 107,000 litres of diesel and more than 2,200 litres of lubricants, including gear and hydraulic oils, leaked into the Pacific Ocean after the NATHAN E. STEWART partially sank near Bella Bella in October 2016 as it was towing an empty barge.

Name:  Nathan E. Stewart.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  37.3 KB

Board chair Kathy Fox said the second mate had been working a schedule of six hours on, six hours off for more than two days, which didn’t allow for sufficient rest.

“It’s hard enough to work a six-on, six-off shift for days on end without getting a good night’s sleep,” she said Thursday after the board issued its report. “It’s harder still to do it without the means to recognize and combat the fatigue that this schedule inevitably generates.”

Alarms meant to alert crew members when a vessel goes off course weren’t switched on when the 30-metre tug ran aground, Fox said, adding regulations do not require them to be activated.

“They were sometimes turned off just to avoid what’s perceived to be nuisance alarms, but in this case could have provided warning to the watchkeeper,” she said.

The report recommends watchkeepers be trained to help identify and prevent the risks of fatigue and that all vessel owners have fatigue-management plans tailored to individual operators.

Fatigue has been identified by the board as a “casual or contributory factor” in a number of other marine accidents and Fox said this case was compelling enough to prompt a call for change.

“We think that just regulating time off isn’t in and of itself enough. It’s got to be part of a global strategy that includes education, scheduling principles and alertness strategies and other defences,” she said.

The second mate was alone on the bridge at night and did not have training that would exempt the vessel from needing a marine pilot, both of which are contrary to Canadian regulations, the report says.

Another investigation into the possible contraventions is underway, Fox said.

“Transport Canada is the safety regulator so it’s their responsibility to look at whether there was non-compliance and then what enforcement action may need to be taken after the fact.”

The board also said spill response and recovery efforts following the fuel leak were within prescribed time standards, but it wasn’t always clear who had authority over the operation.

“There was definitely a bit of confusion in the beginning,” said Glenn Budden, the board investigator in charge of the case.

The primary responders got the response organized as quickly as possible and the confusion didn’t cause a delay, but it did create frustration, he said.

The report recommends various agencies come together after a spill response to debrief and share lessons learned.

Chief Marilyn Slett of the Heiltsuk First Nation said she’s disappointed the report’s recommendations around spill response weren’t stronger. The fuel spill forced the closure of prime seafood harvesting and fishing areas, which continues to have devastating social, cultural and economic impacts on the community, she said.

“Our community has continued to pay the price. And we certainly, moving forward, would like to see more collaboration around providing environmental protection that should be here. We’re still left with that gap.”

Slett said the report should also have included more details about safety management procedures on the boat.

In November, the National Transportation Safety Board in the United States released a report saying Houston-based Kirby Offshore Marine had ineffectively implemented safety management procedures, which contributed to the accident involving its tug.

It also said there was a lack of documentation on safety rounds and no evidence that safety management rules were implemented on board the NATHAN E. STEWART.

Kirby issued a statement Thursday saying it regrets the incident but “took immediate steps to limit the potential for harm arising from it.” It says procedures, training, auditing and equipment have since been modified to limit the risk of future accidents.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Two comments, the first from a good sailing friend who has singlehanded many thousands of miles, including 2 roundtrips to New Zealand on his Trekka 21:

Note paragraph which states "The second mate was alone on the bridge at night and did not have training that would exempt the vessel from needing a marine pilot, both of which are contrary to Canadian regulations, the report says".

I wonder what the "training" they mention would be as the tug was transiting BC waters under a loophole in the pilotage regulations. 6 hrs on and 6 hrs off use to be pretty standard on tugboats. On the S/L Kodiak we (2nd & 3rd mates) would be "6 on & 6 off" when ever we left Dutch Harbor en route Tacoma (4 Day run) with a big reefer load as the ch/mate was required to monitor the reefer cargo full time (no reefer engineer). Winter time meant rough weather & adequate sleep was a joke. Generally, late getting into Tacoma. so a fast turn around to maintain schedule. It could really wear you down after several trips. Years after I got off that run, the ships went to 4 mates which helps spread out the work load.

The second is my own: I've singlehanded WILDFLOWER 4x to Hawaii. What I've found is the best total amount of sleep needed is >8 hours/24. Usually, sleep was in 1 hour increments, between the need to pee, which is greater with small boat motion. The most sleep achieved at one rest period was 3 hours. I also found that lying down, resting but not sleeping, was worth ~ 50% of sleep.

Once in Hawaii after singlehanding I would invariably find it took me an equal number of days as the total passage to fully recover. I also experienced approximately .5 pounds/day weight loss.

I would sleep with both the AIS and radar pizzo alarms on remote cables around my neck. Neither internal alarm was loud enough to wake me due to sound of wind and waves. The egg timer was also nearby, but rarely needed. All peeing was done below into a hospital urinal. We remember the SHTP competitor who went to the stern to pee, not fully awake. He got to the backstay, was waiting for the red pedestrian stop light to change green before he stepped off the curb to cross the street when he awoke.

I always sleep at sea with my head aft. That way if you collide with something, you don't injure your neck.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-01-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    I always sleep at sea with my head aft. That way if you collide with something, you don't injure your neck.
    It was not only Lee and Bob making heavy weather of it offshore this past week aboard MORNING STAR. In news we really didn't need to learn, the 761 foot Ro-Ro container ship MATSONIA lost 4 empty reefer containers enroute Hono to Oakland sometime Tuesday or Wed. Being empty, insulated boxes, they will float, possibly on end with their heavy compressor machinery.

Name:  matsonia.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  50.6 KB

From the MATSONIA's master: "Geographical location of lost containers unknown. It is likely they went overboard during the heaviest conditions between 0800/29 L35-39N, 129-14W and 0100/30 L37-21N, 123-32W. This area is between 320 and 45 miles seaward of San Francisco Pilot Station on the great circle from HON-OAK."

Just my rough guess that these containers will drift downwind/down current at between 1-2 knots, putting them 800-1600 miles SSW (~202 degrees T) of San Francisco on July 1, 2018. If true, the good news is these floaters should be well south of the SHTP, Pacific Cup, and Vic-Maui fleet tracks.

Me thinks there is a good argument that shipping containers should have solar powered, water activated, GPS/AIS locators. In this day and age of tagging great whites, mountain lions, shearwaters, monarch butterflies, and sail drones, not rocket science any more.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-01-2018 at 09:58 PM.

"Me thinks there is a good argument that shipping containers should have solar powered, water activated, GPS/AIS locators. In this day and age of tagging great whites, mountain lions, shearwaters, monarch butterflies, and sail drones, not rocket science any more."[/QUOTE]

GOOD IDEA!
    The insurance companies may be interested in funding & or insisting that the tagging must be done.

Me-thinks the shipping container folks need to re-learn their knots! That and come up with a significantly better way to anchor the containers to the deck, and provide protection from waves striking the boxes. I can understand putting boxes down inside the hull; who thought it was a good idea to stack containers on deck up to the bridge?

A ship off New Zealand lost 80 containers two days ago:
    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...n-wild-weather

And I was unaware of another ship that lost perhaps 73 containers off North Carolina back in March:
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...203667984.html

That's no fun.

- rob/beetle

As will likely be confirmed by TIGER BEETLE, SHTP finishing at Hanalei should not be impacted by the recent flooding. These photos taken yesterday by Capt. Bob show the Hanalei Beach Park and famous "Tree" (there are several) to be fine. Dinghy landing nearby, just north of the lifeguard tower, is unchanged.

Name:  Hanalei2.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  1.49 MB
    The "Tree" is to the left in the photo background, near the kayaks.

Name:  Hanalei Pier.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  551.7 KB

Further down the Hanalei Beach, in the vicinity of the Hanalei Pier, it's a different story. Weke Rd. is closed to vehicles, and the Pier sits in a new lagoon.

And of course the sunsets beyond Bali Hai are just as lovely as always.

Name:  hanalei.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  202.0 KB

And of course the sunsets beyond Bali Hai are just as lovely as always.

Name:  hanalei.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  202.0 KB[/QUOTE]

Ooh! Aah!

I can almost taste the fresh pineapple Yum!

I was sorry to learn that Tiger Beetle will not be in Hanalei Bay when we will all be there. He plans to move on to Kodiac. How about Captain Bob? It would be nice to see him again! Thank you for the photos, Captain.

The first "tropical" of the season has formed in the Eastern Pacific. TS ALETTA, soon to become a hurricane, is off the west coast of Mexico. It takes surface water temp 81 degrees or warmer for intensification. As well as light upper atmosphere wind shear. Which is why full blown tropicals rarely traverse north of 20 degrees latitude.

Name:  Aletta.png
Views: 676
Size:  62.0 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-06-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    The first "tropical" of the season has formed in the Eastern Pacific. TS ALETTA, soon to become a hurricane
    Geez Skip, you're just full of good news. RIMPAC, containers falling off ships in our path, now the first (and maybe second behind it) hurricane already. Hope we at least get decent weather to start.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin