Page 416 of 628 FirstFirst ... 316366406412413414415416417418419420426466516 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,160 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    A bronze tub! Sigh! Now that is my idea of heaven: a hot bath aboard a moving sailboat. Since I get seasick, would I get doubly sick, d'you think?
    Ernest Shackleton claimed his ponies got miserably seasick in rough weather on their voyage to Antarctica. And though I am skeptical, a German scientist supposedly proved fish in a mini-aquarium in zero gravity exhibited human signs of motion sickness.

Name:  Seasick.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  19.5 KB

I do know, Jackie, that you can't get seasick if you are steering, no matter if it be a boat, car, or plane. So if we theoretically a fix DM's nice new tiller to the bronze bathtub, you should be fine.

Speaking of gripping a tiller in a bathtub, in the early 90's WILDFLOWER coincidentally arrived in Nanaimo, BC, Canada, at the same time as the finish of the Vancouver-Nanaimo Bathtub Race, 40 miles across the Straits of Georgia. And you thought the 3BF exhibit indications of insanity?

Name:  seasickness2.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  9.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-02-2021 at 10:44 AM.

Given the nature of the crowd that participates in the R2AK, that bathtub race up there in the Pacific Northwest seems par for the course. But I must say that I am not as skeptical as you regarding fishies. That fishie in your post looks similar to (the very few) people I've taken aboard Dura Mater who lunged for the leeward side. Bulging eyes, changing skin color ... What would fishie barf look like?

Hal Holbrook, 95, sailor and acclaimed thespian, has died. In 1980 Hal Holbrook entered his Garden design, Gulf 40, YANKEE TAR in the Singlehanded Transpac. Unfortunately he finished after the deadline and his time was not recorded. After cruising YANKEE TAR to the S. Pacific and New Zealand, Holbrook went on to a highly successful career in acting, and is well known for his recreation of Mark Twain over 60 years of solo performances, yearly since 1954.

Holbrook won an Emmy in 1974 and is the oldest actor nominated for an Oscar. Here is Hal Holbrook on stage with actress Cicely Tyson with their Emmys. Tyson also died recently.

Name:  holbrook.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  293.5 KB

Name:  Container.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  171.7 KB

Recent sighting on Pescadero Beach, 25 miles north of Santa Cruz.

Great. Do we know if this container is from one of the last two big container spills in the north Pacific? I suppose the drift is similar to that of the debris field generated by the Fukushima tsunami....

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Great. Do we know if this container is from one of the last two big container spills in the north Pacific? I suppose the drift is similar to that of the debris field generated by the Fukushima tsunami....
    Though I have no proof, my guess is this is not a container from the three recent mega-spills north and west of Hawaii. Judging from the barnacle waterline on the container, it is likely empty and not a candidate for a passage eastbound.

The MAERSK ESSEN did recently lose 750 containers overboard mid-Pacific on Jan. 20, 2021. But the rate of drift to Central California would have been too fast for this particular container to wash ashore less than 2 weeks later. If butterflies, birds, and turtles can be tracked, it would seem relatively simple to have ID on a container?

One thing SSS can track is 3BF finishers, all 125 of them. Congrats to the SSS RC, and to Scott Sellers on the J-70 "1FA" for finishing this year's 3 BF 1st at 3:37 pm. Scott, if you are reading this, which way did you go?
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-04-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Name:  Skip2.PNG
Views: 562
Size:  821.4 KB

Gentle Skippers,

This morning, at 7:30 a.m., at Coffee Club on the Santa Cruz Harbor breakwater, there were 4 planets and a prominent star rising behind me and beginning to poke their heads above the Crows Nest restaurant's tent.

I looked up, and there near its apogee to the south, looking like half a slice of big pizza pie over Monterey Bay, was the moon.

For a bag of Tom's Best Ever Granola, Name:  tom's.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  99.6 KB

What is/was this morning's moon, supposedly 53% full, called in formal terms:

1. Half moon, waxing.
    2. Gibbous moon, waning.
    3. Quarter moon.
    4. Gibbous quarter moon.
    5. Bear Moon.
    6. Waning gibbous moon.
    7. 1st quarter waning moon.
    8. 3rd quarter waning moon.
    9. 3rd quarter waning gibbous moon.
    10. 3rd quarter, waxing half moon.
    11. Sidereal, waxing, synodic moon.
    12. Blue moon.

PS: Multiple guesses allowed, but only 1 every 4 hours.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-04-2021 at 12:20 PM.

6. Waning gibbous moon.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

8.) 3rd quarter waning.

I'm guessing not 3rd quarter at 53% illumination, thus gibbous.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image