Page 421 of 628 FirstFirst ... 321371411417418419420421422423424425431471521 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,210 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Obviously, Craig needs to add to the project list an electric inboard with feathering 3-blade prop. Then add a GPS return-to-home device like some drones have for when they get out of range.

Or... maybe the next project is an RC Vessel Assist for pulling boats out of the weeds.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 02-17-2021 at 11:28 AM.
    Tom P.

I haven't played with drones yet but I'd think a signal booster could work. Maybe they're not available for the channels typically used by R/C'ers.

(Philpott - you probably aren't seeing our edits. P.S. Both of Jack's parents worked at the fish place in Market Hall.)

My guess - 3. MAGIC automatically tacks and assumes a reciprocal course back to her skipper.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Those turnbuckles are great!

I would not put it past Magic's skipper to design a servo-operated working capstan and fabricate an appropriate sized anchor!
    Last edited by AlanH; 02-17-2021 at 01:19 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    My guess - 3. MAGIC automatically tacks and assumes a reciprocal course back to her skipper.
    Hi Eyrie

I miss your smiling face and doggie wags in these parts!

Answer #3 would seem plausible. But is not correct. However, I'm still holding a bag of Tom's Best Ever from your previous win for your next visit.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-17-2021 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    In case I'm stuck in my red circle outside Market Hall's produce store where there is no phone service, I'd like it on the record (at 12:14) that my bet is on #6. Otherwise I'll just have to drive up to Star Market and wait in one of the red circles there.
    Sorry, Philpott, but #6 is not correct. But you are correct that Star Market in Berkeley carries Tom's Best Ever.

If nobody guesses the correct answer before 6 pm PST this evening, all bets are off...and the winning bag of granola goes into the CBC larder and I begin the popcorn for Chuck Hawley's presentation at 7. Stan and Sally will be there by the way.

Of the available options #5 seems the most plausible to me; If it's #2, that's a lot of instructions for the PLC to execute, and a lot of effort to unwind and reset for a simple loss of RC signal... besides, I wouldn't drop a delicate scale model anchor (how many hours of work is that?!?!) into unpredictable bottoms.
    DH

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Of the available options #5 seems the most plausible to me; If it's #2, that's a lot of instructions for the PLC to execute, and a lot of effort to unwind and reset for a simple loss of RC signal... besides, I wouldn't drop a delicate scale model anchor (how many hours of work is that?!?!) into unpredictable bottoms.
    DH
    Oh, sure. Gin up an answer after everybody else has guessed the alternatives and you think you’ve won this test of sailing technology? Get my granola? That’s low hanging fruit, Mr Hedgehog. Just returned from Star Market. A long walk and it has too many raisins. Jeesh!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Of the available options #5 seems the most plausible to me; If it's #2, that's a lot of instructions for the PLC to execute, and a lot of effort to unwind and reset for a simple loss of RC signal... besides, I wouldn't drop a delicate scale model anchor (how many hours of work is that?!?!) into unpredictable bottoms. #5 DH
    Leave it to Hedgehog to slip in at the finish and come away smelling like a rose. We have a winner!

“Heaving to” (hove to) has many connotations. But basically means to stop or slow the boat's headway. "Heaving to" can be accomplished by fore reaching with a headsail aback, by laying to a storm trysail, laying to a sea anchor, and other methods including motoring slowly into the wind and/or seas. Some boats won't heave to at all. Others, like TALIESIN and WANDERBIRD, are known to be very good

But we are talking 6 foot, 60 pound schooner here. Uncharted territory.

Should MAGIC's Radio Control signal go out, Craig reports the rudder, by default, will go hard over and stay there. We don't know yet which way the rudder will go, nor what will happen, as MAGIC has not yet been launched or trialed.

My guess is the following: MAGIC will likely be on a starboard tack reach, sailing away from the skipper, should the RC signal go out.. When the rudder then locks hard over MAGIC will either gybe to port and the foresail and headsail will go aback causing her to heave to.

Alternatively, MAGIC will attempt to tack. If successful, the foresail and headsail,, going aback, will pull the bow down, she will gybe, and likely continue circling in this manner until retrieved.

So the reason the rudder locks hard over is to attempt to keep the boat in once place. The answer is #5.

My opinion only, and MAGICDreamer may have other ideas.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-17-2021 at 05:27 PM.