Page 583 of 628 FirstFirst ... 83483533573579580581582583584585586587593 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,830 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

[QUOTE=MillyB;33223]
    Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Moore El Toros ?
    See post 5817, four above this one.

Name:  Camry.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  1.59 MB

Capitola Boat Club (CBC), with rear seat removed, on the move to launch at Santa Cruz Harbor.

Since no one has answered the above Friday trivia question correctly for the Beckman's pie and ice cream, here are 2 hints as to the most prolifically built boat in Santa Cruz, well more than 200. The question remains what is the boat and who is the builder, who remains in business to this day?

Name:  aero dinghy.jpeg
Views: 443
Size:  9.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-27-2023 at 06:55 AM.

Since no one has answered the above Friday trivia question correctly for the Beckman's pie and ice cream, here are 2 hints as to the most prolifically built boat in Santa Cruz, well more than 200. The question remains what is the boat and who is the builder, who remains in business to this day?
    Someone a while back suggested there should be age categories for answering Sled’s quizzes. I believe the answer is the 13’ BANSHEE designed by Richard (Dick) Reid. There was a series of builders starting with Reid himself (his company was called Marine Plastics). Barry Bruch took over the project, called his company Banshee International and built boats in Santa Cruz and Scotts Valley. Buzz Ballenger also built a bunch of Banshees in Santa Cruz. I’m pretty sure there were more Banshees built in Santa Cruz than any other fiberglas sailboat.

I worked for Dick Reid. He was quite a salesman and went around promoting the Banshee at various small boat venues. I was paid to demonstrate the boat while Dick stayed on the dock making deals.

I’m surprised Bob J. hasn’t answered this one since I’m pretty sure he owned (or owns?) a Banshee.

The rest of the Banshee design story is in a series of posts from this thread in 2017.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Someone a while back suggested there should be age categories for answering Sled’s quizzes. I believe the answer is the 13’ BANSHEE designed by Richard (Dick) Reid. There was a series of builders starting with Reid himself (his company was called Marine Plastics). Barry Bruch took over the project, called his company Banshee International and built boats in Santa Cruz and Scotts Valley. Buzz Ballenger also built a bunch of Banshees in Santa Cruz. I’m pretty sure there were more Banshees built in Santa Cruz than any other fiberglas sailboat. I worked for Dick Reid. He was quite a salesman and went around promoting the Banshee at various small boat venues. I was paid to demonstrate the boat while Dick stayed on the dock making deals. I’m surprised Bob J. hasn’t answered this one since I’m pretty sure he owned (or owns?) a Banshee. The rest of the Banshee design story is in a series of posts from this thread in 2017.
    Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner, for DAZZLER. There were more 13' foot Banshee dinghies built in Santa Cruz than any other class. Sparmaker Buzz Ballenger built "well over 200 Banshees" and remains in the marine business to this day, as does David Hodges at Ullman Sails in Santa Cruz.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-27-2023 at 11:03 AM.

Congrats to Cal Poly Humboldt for just winning Division II Women's National Rowing Championship in both 4's & 8's!. Anchored by Rower of the Year, Dana Foley, in #4 seat, CPH pulled away to win by open water over 2nd place Central Oklahoma. Dana also earned All Academic honors and is the daughter of circumnavigators Linda and Jim Foley on their SC-40, also named DANA. Jim, as many know, was a famed surfer, surfboard maker, yacht designer and builder responsible for such rocket ships as 3RD REEF and PACIFIC LETTUCE.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I’m surprised Bob J. hasn’t answered this one since I’m pretty sure he owned (or owns?) a Banshee.
    Yep, here's a much younger and skinnier Bob J. at the Banshee Nationals in 1975. This is between races off Ballena Bay:

Name:  Banshee Nationals.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  34.3 KB

I bought another Banshee years later to take on a family camping trip. Great little boats!

Has anyone heard from Rob on TIGER BEETLE? When last heard from early this year he was hanging with crocodiles on La Ropa beach in Zihuatanejo....Rob?

Something cool is watching baby barn owls being hatched, raised, and fledge. All the more reason never to use rat poison. Since these cuties were hatched. Momma Owl has brought in an average of 8 rodents/night for her kids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn2vft9vxQg

Something cool is watching baby barn owls being hatched, raised, and fledge. All the more reason never to use rat poison. Since these cuties were hatched. Momma Owl has brought in an average of 8 rodents/night for her kids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn2vft9vxQg
    Cuties for sure ! We have Barn Owls here, so we put up an Owl House, but it has been occupied by every other tree dweller you can imagine- except Barn Owls. Go figure. No one should EVER use rodent poison !

I find the following admission from the skipper of Team Holcim-PRB in the Ocean Race, Leg 5, pretty incredible. Because of the loss of their masthead wind instruments they were sailing blind, WTF? I guess because they are sailing around the world trimming and steering from inside the cabin for the whole time, of course they can't determine windspeed and direction...But still... What happened to Windex's, tell tales, and looking out the window?

“We had no wind information on the boat,” explained Escoffier. “In other words, we didn’t know the angle of the wind in relation to the boat, nor the strength of the wind. So when we’re going pretty much straight ahead and everything’s going well, it’s fine. On the other hand, when the wind is variable, and you have to make gybes or sail choices, it’s difficult.

“This has an impact on both performance and strategy. You can’t tell exactly where the wind is coming from, and it’s very complicated to know only by feel. So we steer with information on speed and angle of heel, and learn to use different sensations and sensors other than those of the wind. Of course, we also have routing information to help us set our route, but it’s not always accurate.”

Routing by the best and most expensive routers in the world "not always accurate?" Gee, can't tell the wind direction and speed and couldn't trust their weathermen. I'm shocked. The next thing we'll learn is they leave foul weather gear behind because it's too heavy.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-29-2023 at 10:19 PM.