Page 503 of 628 FirstFirst ... 3403453493499500501502503504505506507513553603 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

I got to meet Milly last year when I went up to Drake's to watch you all come and go. She and I commiserated on the drought and the fire danger around our homes. Quite a wonderful lady; I wish I could get my 5'10" draft closer to Inverness YC.

After reading of Skip's adventures this morning, I did a little poking around on the 110 Class page and found this.
    https://110class.com/2015/09/07/mill...sailing-world/
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

On Saturday's 3rd Race, SMART SHOES, close hauled on starboard collided with GUNSMOKE on port. I did not see them until they began to cross our bow, about a length ahead. Quickly eased the main, bore off, but T-boned the blue boat about at the end of the cockpit.

GUNSMOKE quickly retired and has hired Milly Biller to repair the damage. Here's SMART SHOES on Sunday afternoon:

Name:  SmartShoes Bow Damage.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  479.6 KB

And here she is today, better (stronger) than new.

Name:  Smart Shoes Repair.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  63.3 KB

Thanks, Milly!
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-27-2022 at 10:39 PM.

Beautiful! Does Milly have paint for every color 110 hull?

Some may know my affinity for Cal-40's: Our family owned #24, HOLIDAY TOO, which we raced as a family. In 1967 we won the Honolulu (Transpac) and the Congressional Cup in '68. HOLIDAY TOO is now RADIANT and impeccably maintained and successfully raced at LAYC by Fin Beven. RADIANT pictured below.

Name:  Radiant1.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  108.6 KB

I was fortunate to crew on Cal-40 #57, ILLUSION with Stan and Sally Honey in the 2003 Transpac, 36 years after HOLIDAY TOO's overall win.

This just in from Stan Honey about ILLUSION, recently sold to his nephew, John Vrolyk:

"A bit more information has emerged from the Bermuda Race. As Fin Beven mentioned ILLUSION won Class and the St David’s Light Division of 108 boats. Cal 40s also came 3rd and 5th in our division, TOWHEE and NICOLE respectively.

The other interesting tidbit is related to the professionally crewed Gibbs Hill Division in the Bermuda Race. The Bermuda Race intentionally makes it difficult to score different divisions against one another, but if somebody takes the effort by rescoring the Bermuda Race using the same scratch boat for everyone, it turns out that our Cal 40 ILLUSION also beat all the professionally crewed boats in Gibbs Hill. The winner of Gibbs Hill, WARRIOR WON, corrected out 1 hour behind ILLUSION.

So Cal40s have proven yet again that it’s possible for there to be a racer/cruiser offshore sailboat that excels at both racing and cruising. Some folks asked us what ILLUSION’s secret was. Of course, having a perfectly prepared boat, terrific bottom, great sails and a great crew helped, but our answer was the 10,000 mile practice sail of ILLUSION from San Francisco, through the Panama Canal, to Newport Rhode Island for the start. Sail On. ~Stan"

ILLUSION, 2003 Transpac (Stan in companionway hatch, Sleddog aft on port coaming)
    Name:  Illusion.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  228.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-30-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Name:  Herreshoff Castle.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  719.5 KB

What is this? 1) CBC (Capitola Boat Club.) 2) Roy Disney's castle near Cork, Ireland 3) Steward Kett castle near Watsonville/Sunset Beach, CA 4) Castle at Seabright Beach, Santa Cruz Harbor. 5) L. Francis Herreshoff castle, Marblehead, MA 6) Castle near China Beach, Rio Del Mar, CA. 7) Castle overlooking Newport Harbor Entrance, Dirty Old Wedge, CA featured in 1939 "hurricane" documentary. Many boats returning from Catalina had difficulty, sank, loss of life..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZl6-xYtZZg

Macapuno for first correct answer. One guess only.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-01-2022 at 01:21 PM.

Why this is #5 of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    How do you know that, Brad?

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Sorry, INTERMISSION, #5 is not correct. Somebody else will have to win the Macapuno. I pray it is not Philpott, cause I already owe her big time, and she does not hesitate stopping at CBC enroute to Monterey. By the way Philpott, we had another shipwreck last week on the Capitola Beach. Yamaha 33 intact except rudder. I can swing you a good deal!
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-01-2022 at 04:15 PM.

I have sailed and won Trophy's at number 3, at the foot of Stuarts Ket's castle and sat and drank beer at the castle in the picture!

It looks like Howard (with local knowledge) nailed it without giving away the answer:
    #4 Castle at Seabright Beach, Santa Cruz
    https://www.santacruzwaves.com/2018/...abright-beach/

Skip, Congratulations on planting a Red Herring. Your photo file names have too often been a BIG clue.

And No, I did not know the answer without a bit of research.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 08-01-2022 at 06:31 PM.
    Tom P.